|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the Bridge of Hesitation get its name?
(a) Conscience-troubled men would decide to go home or out for entertainment.
(b) One side was modern; the other old-fashioned.
(c) One side had been rebuilt; the other was destroyed.
(d) The city had to decide whether to rebuild the bridge.
2. How does Mr. Saito feel about the demonstrations in the streets?
(a) It is a great pity that people are being injured.
(b) They're an important expression of freedom of speech.
(c) The Japanese are children learning democracy.
(d) They've gone too far.
3. Why was Shintaro not initially called up for military service?
(a) He had a bad leg.
(b) He was his family's only support.
(c) His service as an artist was more important.
(d) He was mentally defective.
4. What is taking the place of the bars of the old pleasure district?
(b) Theaters and restaurants.
(d) Geisha houses.
5. Why does Ichiro refuse to help Noriko put away the breakfast things?
(a) He wants to stay with his mother.
(b) He wants to stay with his grandfather.
(c) He's playing a game.
(d) He says it's women's work.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ono perceive Shintaro's nature now that his old friend no longer comes to Mrs. Kawakami's?
2. What is going in on both sides of Mrs. Kawakami's establishment?
3. What had the wandering priest warned Ono's parents about him?
4. Why is Ono angry with Shintaro?
5. How does Taro react to Ono's confession?
This section contains 367 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)