|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Immers try to give more space in which to grow?
2. How does Immers win prizes?
3. What shocks Hanna about Veronika's actions?
4. What does Rolf ask Hanna?
5. What does Hanna decide to do where she goes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What upsets Hanna about her father after her mother died and where does she go to get away from the situation?
2. Why does a painter paint over Anton's bedroom window?
3. What is Anton Immers' hobby?
4. How does Manfred's father endanger Manfred?
5. What does Hanna think about as she is recovering from her fright on the river?
6. How does Rolf feel and what does he do about what Hanna tells him?
7. Where do Hanna and Renate search for Hans-Jurgen and what is the outcome?
8. Who is Hannelore Beier?
9. Who is Veronika and why does she eat all the pastries that Hanna's mother serves?
10. What does Manfred's father do with the money and then what does he ask his wife when he returns home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1. What is foreshadow? How many incidences of foreshadow are in Floating in My Mother's Palm? How does foreshadow contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadow in Floating in My Mother's Palm including why you believe it is foreshadow. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from Floating in My Mother's Palm and your own live to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of Floating in My Mother's Palm and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why Floating in My Mother's Palm is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think Floating in My Mother's Palm is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)