|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Veronika?
2. What does the new person notice about Hannelore?
3. Who molests Karin?
4. What is the pastor forced to do concerning the new man in town?
5. Who is Karin Baum?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to a young couple who are in their car and who do the townspeople think is responsible?
2. How does Manfred's father endanger Manfred?
3. How does the wife respond to her husband's request and what does Manfred do?
4. From where does Hans-Jurgen escape and who decides to search for him?
5. How does Rolf feel and what does he do about what Hanna tells him?
6. What does Hanna do when Rolf says his request?
7. What upsets Hanna about her father after her mother died and where does she go to get away from the situation?
8. How old was Hanna when her mother died and how did her mother die?
9. Why does a painter paint over Anton's bedroom window?
10. Why does Hannelore leave her brother's home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1. What is foreshadow? How many incidences of foreshadow are in Floating in My Mother's Palm? How does foreshadow contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadow in Floating in My Mother's Palm including why you believe it is foreshadow. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from Floating in My Mother's Palm and your own live to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in Floating in My Mother's Palm. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Hegi chooses the symbols she does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Hegi chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Hegi's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, clifthangers, deux ex machina, etc...), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Hegi use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Hanna and Renate. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of the architect and Manfred's father. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in Floating in My Mother's Palm help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)