|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is a search organized in the town?
2. Whose arrival in town one day affects Hannelore's life?
3. Who is Hans-Jurgen Braunmeier?
4. Why is Hanna upset?
5. Where was Hans-Jurgen staying?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Hanna find Rolf, what do they do there and upon what do they agree?
2. Where do Hanna and Renate search for Hans-Jurgen and what is the outcome?
3. From where does Hans-Jurgen escape and who decides to search for him?
4. What does Hanna think about as she is recovering from her fright on the river?
5. What does Hanna do at the river when she is upset at her father?
6. How does Hanna describe Hannelore's personality?
7. Who is Hannelore Beier?
8. Where does Manfred Weiler's family live?
9. How does Manfred's father endanger Manfred?
10. What happens to a young couple who are in their car and who do the townspeople think is responsible?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Floating in My Mother's Palm belongs to the general fiction genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the general fiction genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a general fiction novel and a mystery?
Essay Topic 2
Rolf confronts Hanna about the joke. Hanna becomes angry and tells him that his father abandoned him because he did not want him. Rolf has never been told the truth about his father, therefore he is deeply upset by Hanna's words. When Rolf does not return home that night, a search is organized. The following morning Hanna finds Rolf near the river. Hanna tells him all she knows about his American soldier father. Rolf sends Hanna to learn more. Finally Rolf agrees to go home.
1. From the information given on Hanna's pranks, do you think she carried pranks too far? Why or why not? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
2. Do you think Hanna was wrong for telling Rolf about his father? Why or why not? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
3. Discuss the ways in which Rolf's knowledge of his father might change his life. Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
1. What is foreshadow? How many incidences of foreshadow are in Floating in My Mother's Palm? How does foreshadow contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadow in Floating in My Mother's Palm including why you believe it is foreshadow. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from Floating in My Mother's Palm and your own live to support your opinion.
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)