|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Hanna and Renate decide to do?
2. What does Hanna think about her mother being?
3. Where did Hans-Jurgen recently live?
4. Where does Immers spend most of his time?
5. Why is Rolf deeply upset?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Hannelore Beier?
2. Who is Anton Immers?
3. Where does Hanna find Rolf, what do they do there and upon what do they agree?
4. What did Rolf tell Hanna not to do?
5. Why does Hannelore leave her brother's home?
6. How and why does Anton cull his violets?
7. Where does Manfred Weiler's family live?
8. How does Manfred's father endanger Manfred?
9. How does Rolf feel and what does he do about what Hanna tells him?
10. Why does a painter paint over Anton's bedroom window?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of Floating in My Mother's Palm, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in Floating in My Mother's Palm. (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Floating in My Mother's Palm belongs to the general fiction genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the general fiction genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a general fiction novel and a mystery?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of Floating in My Mother's Palm and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)