|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is a search organized in the town?
2. When does he notice this about Hannelore?
3. Who does Immers criticize continually one day?
4. Why does Rolf confront Hanna?
5. What does the man do after the pastor took this action?
Short Essay Questions
1. How old was Hanna when her mother died and how did her mother die?
2. What does Hanna think about as she is recovering from her fright on the river?
3. Where does Manfred Weiler's family live?
4. How does Manfred's father endanger Manfred?
5. Who is the new person in town and how does this involve Hannelore?
6. Where do Hanna and Renate search for Hans-Jurgen and what is the outcome?
7. How and why does Anton cull his violets?
8. What happens to a young couple who are in their car and who do the townspeople think is responsible?
9. Who is Hannelore Beier?
10. How does Rolf feel and what does he do about what Hanna tells him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Baby Mansion, the reader learns that Hanna was once inappropriately touched by the local bike store owner and that this man made his own granddaughter pregnant with his child. This also follows with the theme of danger. However, this also touches the theme of love as Hanna embraces both Karin and her infant daughter, trying in her innocent way to find a way to keep them together but failing.
1. Do you think Hanna's mother handled Hanna's encounter with the bike store owner? Why or why not? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
2. Do you think if Hanna's mother had said something to Karin's mother it might have saved Karin? Why or why not? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
3. Discuss the ways in which Hanna demonstrates love in her dealing with Karin and the baby. Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in Floating in My Mother's Palm. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Hegi chooses the symbols she does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Hegi chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Hegi's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, clifthangers, deux ex machina, etc...), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Hegi use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Essay Topic 3
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of Floating in My Mother's Palm and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why Floating in My Mother's Palm is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,051 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)