|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Rolf deeply upset?
2. What shocks Hanna about Veronika's actions?
3. Where does Immers spend most of his time?
4. What is Manfred's father too afraid to do?
5. What does Rolf finally agree to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the effect of the painter's actions on Anton and what do the townspeople say about it?
2. How old was Hanna when her mother died and how did her mother die?
3. What happens to a young couple who are in their car and who do the townspeople think is responsible?
4. Who is Anton Immers?
5. What upsets Hanna about her father after her mother died and where does she go to get away from the situation?
6. How does Manfred's father endanger Manfred?
7. What is Anton Immers' hobby?
8. How does the wife respond to her husband's request and what does Manfred do?
9. Who is Veronika and why does she eat all the pastries that Hanna's mother serves?
10. How does Hanna describe Hannelore's personality?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Ursula Hegi.
2. What in Hegi's background may have helped her in writing Floating in My Mother's Palm? What may have influenced the way she depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
Essay Topic 2
Rolf confronts Hanna about the joke. Hanna becomes angry and tells him that his father abandoned him because he did not want him. Rolf has never been told the truth about his father, therefore he is deeply upset by Hanna's words. When Rolf does not return home that night, a search is organized. The following morning Hanna finds Rolf near the river. Hanna tells him all she knows about his American soldier father. Rolf sends Hanna to learn more. Finally Rolf agrees to go home.
1. From the information given on Hanna's pranks, do you think she carried pranks too far? Why or why not? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
2. Do you think Hanna was wrong for telling Rolf about his father? Why or why not? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
3. Discuss the ways in which Rolf's knowledge of his father might change his life. Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of Floating in My Mother's Palm and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)