|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Hanna find Rolf the next morning?
2. What do Hanna and Renate decide to do?
3. Why is a search organized in the town?
4. What career does the pastor's sister give up?
5. Why does Rolf confront Hanna?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hanna's mother feel guilty when she hears about Karin Baum's situation?
2. How does Manfred's father endanger Manfred?
3. How does the wife respond to her husband's request and what does Manfred do?
4. What upsets Hanna about her father after her mother died and where does she go to get away from the situation?
5. What is the effect of the painter's actions on Anton and what do the townspeople say about it?
6. How does Hanna describe Hannelore's personality?
7. What does Manfred's father do with the money and then what does he ask his wife when he returns home?
8. Where does Hanna find Rolf, what do they do there and upon what do they agree?
9. Who is Anton Immers?
10. What does Hanna do at the river when she is upset at her father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in Floating in My Mother's Palm. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Hegi chooses the symbols she does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Hegi chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Hegi's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, clifthangers, deux ex machina, etc...), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Hegi use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Essay Topic 2
1. What is foreshadow? How many incidences of foreshadow are in Floating in My Mother's Palm? How does foreshadow contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadow in Floating in My Mother's Palm including why you believe it is foreshadow. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from Floating in My Mother's Palm and your own live to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Floating in My Mother's Palm belongs to the general fiction genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the general fiction genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a general fiction novel and a mystery?
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)