|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Immers live?
2. What does Hanna do when she gets angry at Rolf?
3. About what does Hanna think when she gets back to shore?
4. What does Hanna scheme for a while after Karin gives birth?
5. How does Manfred's father try to manipulate his wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Manfred's father do with the money and then what does he ask his wife when he returns home?
2. Why does Hannelore leave her brother's home?
3. How old was Hanna when her mother died and how did her mother die?
4. What is Anton Immers' hobby?
5. Who is the new person in town and how does this involve Hannelore?
6. What happens to a young couple who are in their car and who do the townspeople think is responsible?
7. What did Rolf tell Hanna not to do?
8. Where do Hanna and Renate search for Hans-Jurgen and what is the outcome?
9. Why does Hanna's mother feel guilty when she hears about Karin Baum's situation?
10. Who is Veronika and why does she eat all the pastries that Hanna's mother serves?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rolf confronts Hanna about the joke. Hanna becomes angry and tells him that his father abandoned him because he did not want him. Rolf has never been told the truth about his father, therefore he is deeply upset by Hanna's words. When Rolf does not return home that night, a search is organized. The following morning Hanna finds Rolf near the river. Hanna tells him all she knows about his American soldier father. Rolf sends Hanna to learn more. Finally Rolf agrees to go home.
1. From the information given on Hanna's pranks, do you think she carried pranks too far? Why or why not? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
2. Do you think Hanna was wrong for telling Rolf about his father? Why or why not? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
3. Discuss the ways in which Rolf's knowledge of his father might change his life. Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in Floating in My Mother's Palm. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Hegi chooses the symbols she does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Hegi chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Hegi's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, clifthangers, deux ex machina, etc...), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Hegi use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Essay Topic 3
There are a number of interesting questions raised by Floating in My Mother's Palm. Questions that Hegi most likely want readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the Hegi's agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Hegi's probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
4. Research the life of Hegi and see if/where her life may have influenced her writing.
This section contains 1,023 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)