|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Hannelore Beier described?
2. What is the pastor forced to do concerning the new man in town?
3. What is found recently by the police?
4. What causes Manfred's father to become violent?
5. Where do Hanna and Renate go many times?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the new person in town and how does this involve Hannelore?
2. From where does Hans-Jurgen escape and who decides to search for him?
3. How does the wife respond to her husband's request and what does Manfred do?
4. How old was Hanna when her mother died and how did her mother die?
5. Why does Hanna's mother feel guilty when she hears about Karin Baum's situation?
6. Why does a painter paint over Anton's bedroom window?
7. How does Rolf learn about his father?
8. What is Anton Immers' hobby?
9. What does Manfred's father do with the money and then what does he ask his wife when he returns home?
10. How does Manfred's father end up dead?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an important part of what makes Floating in My Mother's Palm interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Hanna. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Hanna's mother. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Hanna's father. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Floating in My Mother's Palm belongs to the general fiction genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the general fiction genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a general fiction novel and a mystery?
Essay Topic 3
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Ursula Hegi.
2. What in Hegi's background may have helped her in writing Floating in My Mother's Palm? What may have influenced the way she depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)