|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Hanna upset?
2. What does Veronika think she is doing by her actions?
3. Where was Hans-Jurgen staying?
4. What does Hanna scheme for a while after Karin gives birth?
5. Where are the victim(s) shot?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Veronika and why does she eat all the pastries that Hanna's mother serves?
2. How does Hanna describe Hannelore's personality?
3. What does Hanna do when Rolf says his request?
4. How old was Hanna when her mother died and how did her mother die?
5. From where does Hans-Jurgen escape and who decides to search for him?
6. Who is Hannelore Beier?
7. What does Hanna think about as she is recovering from her fright on the river?
8. Why does Hanna's mother feel guilty when she hears about Karin Baum's situation?
9. How does Rolf learn about his father?
10. How and why does Anton cull his violets?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of Floating in My Mother's Palm and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why Floating in My Mother's Palm is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
1. What is foreshadow? How many incidences of foreshadow are in Floating in My Mother's Palm? How does foreshadow contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadow in Floating in My Mother's Palm including why you believe it is foreshadow. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from Floating in My Mother's Palm and your own live to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think Floating in My Mother's Palm is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)