|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose arrival in town one day affects Hannelore's life?
2. Where did Hans-Jurgen recently live?
3. What does Immers take care of all the time?
4. Why is Rolf deeply upset?
5. What is the pastor forced to do concerning the new man in town?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of Floating in My Mother's Palm and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Floating in My Mother's Palm belongs to the general fiction genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the general fiction genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a general fiction novel and a mystery?
Essay Topic 3
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think Floating in My Mother's Palm is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
This section contains 2,702 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)