|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Hanna when her mother dies?
2. How did Hanna's mother fit into the small town?
3. Where does Immers spend most of his time?
4. Where does Hanna find Rolf the next morning?
5. What precipitates Manfred's father's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Manfred's father do with the money and then what does he ask his wife when he returns home?
2. What does Hanna do at the river when she is upset at her father?
3. What happens to a young couple who are in their car and who do the townspeople think is responsible?
4. What is Anton Immers' hobby?
5. What does Hanna do when Rolf says his request?
6. From where does Hans-Jurgen escape and who decides to search for him?
7. What did Rolf tell Hanna not to do?
8. Who is Anton Immers?
9. What upsets Hanna about her father after her mother died and where does she go to get away from the situation?
10. Who is Veronika and why does she eat all the pastries that Hanna's mother serves?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1. What is foreshadow? How many incidences of foreshadow are in Floating in My Mother's Palm? How does foreshadow contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadow in Floating in My Mother's Palm including why you believe it is foreshadow. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from Floating in My Mother's Palm and your own live to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Hanna and Renate. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of the architect and Manfred's father. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in Floating in My Mother's Palm help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think Floating in My Mother's Palm is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)