|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hanna's father do with Oma?
2. How did people react to Hanna's mother's paintings?
3. What do the doctors at the hospital attempt to do?
4. Where does the mother go after leaving the convent?
5. For what is Siegfried searching?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Trudi's mother dropping her supposedly affect her?
2. Describe Hanna's father.
3. What does Hanna notice about Matthias after he receives a regular visitor and what does she say to Matthias about her observation?
4. How does Hanna's father end up marrying a different woman than the one to whom he is first engaged?
5. What do the townspeople thing about Hanna's mother and how do they respond to her paintings?
6. What does Siegfried do as a result of the dream and why does he do so?
7. What does the narrator's mother learn when she returns to the convent after starting labor?
8. What does Hanna learn from Trudi about her father?
9. Describe Klara's romance with an American soldier.
10. How is Oma healed of the second blood clot?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an important part of what makes Floating in My Mother's Palm interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Hanna. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Hanna's mother. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Hanna's father. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Ursula Hegi.
2. What in Hegi's background may have helped her in writing Floating in My Mother's Palm? What may have influenced the way she depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
Essay Topic 3
1. What is foreshadow? How many incidences of foreshadow are in Floating in My Mother's Palm? How does foreshadow contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadow in Floating in My Mother's Palm including why you believe it is foreshadow. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from Floating in My Mother's Palm and your own live to support your opinion.
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)