|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Renate?
2. What month of pregnancy is the narrator's mother entering?
3. What does Klara tell her lover one day?
4. What caused Hanna's father to fall in love with Hanna's mother?
5. Where does Siegfried live?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator's mother learn when she returns to the convent after starting labor?
2. What does Matthias tell Hanna about his life as a priest in training?
3. Describe Matthias Berger.
4. What do the townspeople say is the source of Trudi's dwarfism?
5. Describe Trudi Montag.
6. What do the townspeople thing about Hanna's mother and how do they respond to her paintings?
7. Describe Hanna's father.
8. Who is Klara Blocker?
9. What do many people believe is the cause of Trudi becoming an old maid?
10. What is Hanna's mother told by the nuns when she goes to the convent, and what is the mother's response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think Floating in My Mother's Palm is? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Hanna and Renate. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of the architect and Manfred's father. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in Floating in My Mother's Palm help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in Floating in My Mother's Palm. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of love in Floating in My Mother's Palm. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of death in Floating in My Mother's Palm.
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)