Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does this new friend of Hanna's live next to?
2. What does Hanna think her mother and father do for each other?
3. About what does Siegfried start feeling better?
4. Who had Klara and her mother befriended near the end of the war?
5. Who does the mother intend to help with her giving birth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the effect of the painter's actions on Anton and what do the townspeople say about it?
2. How is Oma healed of the second blood clot?
3. Who is Anton Immers?
4. What is Anton Immers' hobby?
5. Describe Klara's romance with an American soldier.
6. Where does Hanna find Rolf, what do they do there and upon what do they agree?
7. What does Hanna notice about Matthias after he receives a regular visitor and what does she say to Matthias about her observation?
8. How does Hanna describe Hannelore's personality?
9. What do the townspeople thing about Hanna's mother and how do they respond to her paintings?
10. Who does Hanna befriend?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of Floating in My Mother's Palm and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
In Baby Mansion, the reader learns that Hanna was once inappropriately touched by the local bike store owner and that this man made his own granddaughter pregnant with his child. This also follows with the theme of danger. However, this also touches the theme of love as Hanna embraces both Karin and her infant daughter, trying in her innocent way to find a way to keep them together but failing.
1. Do you think Hanna's mother handled Hanna's encounter with the bike store owner? Why or why not? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
2. Do you think if Hanna's mother had said something to Karin's mother it might have saved Karin? Why or why not? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
3. Discuss the ways in which Hanna demonstrates love in her dealing with Karin and the baby. Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Hanna and Renate. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of the architect and Manfred's father. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in Floating in My Mother's Palm help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)