|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Oma ask to go to the hospital?
2. What does Hanna's father continually remind Hanna's mother not to do?
3. Why does the mother become enraged?
4. What is said is the result of what Trudi's mother did?
5. How did people react to Hanna's mother's paintings?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Trudi treated as a child?
2. What do the townspeople say is the source of Trudi's dwarfism?
3. What is wrong with Renate's leg and why and how does Hanna try to fix it?
4. What does Hanna notice about Matthias after he receives a regular visitor and what does she say to Matthias about her observation?
5. What does Matthias do about Hanna's suggestion about the man who visits him?
6. Describe Hanna's father.
7. What is Hanna's mother told by the nuns when she goes to the convent, and what is the mother's response?
8. Describe the narrator of these stories.
9. What is the problem with the narrator's mother in White Lilacs and what does she do?
10. Who does Hanna befriend?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of Floating in My Mother's Palm, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in Floating in My Mother's Palm. (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of Floating in My Mother's Palm and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Hanna and Renate. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of the architect and Manfred's father. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in Floating in My Mother's Palm help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
This section contains 1,022 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)