|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the mother go there?
2. What caused Hanna's father to fall in love with Hanna's mother?
3. How long did Hanna's mother hear about her paintings from people?
4. Who does Hanna befriend?
5. Who taught school in a nearby town according to Trudi?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Oma healed of the second blood clot?
2. Why does Oma go back to the hospital one day?
3. What is Hanna's mother told by the nuns when she goes to the convent, and what is the mother's response?
4. What does the narrator's mother learn when she returns to the convent after starting labor?
5. What does Matthias do about Hanna's suggestion about the man who visits him?
6. Describe Klara's romance with an American soldier.
7. What do many people believe is the cause of Trudi becoming an old maid?
8. Who does Hanna befriend?
9. How does Hanna's father end up marrying a different woman than the one to whom he is first engaged?
10. What do the townspeople say is the source of Trudi's dwarfism?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Hanna and Renate. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of the architect and Manfred's father. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in Floating in My Mother's Palm help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
Essay Topic 2
1. What is foreshadow? How many incidences of foreshadow are in Floating in My Mother's Palm? How does foreshadow contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadow in Floating in My Mother's Palm including why you believe it is foreshadow. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from Floating in My Mother's Palm and your own live to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
In Baby Mansion, the reader learns that Hanna was once inappropriately touched by the local bike store owner and that this man made his own granddaughter pregnant with his child. This also follows with the theme of danger. However, this also touches the theme of love as Hanna embraces both Karin and her infant daughter, trying in her innocent way to find a way to keep them together but failing.
1. Do you think Hanna's mother handled Hanna's encounter with the bike store owner? Why or why not? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
2. Do you think if Hanna's mother had said something to Karin's mother it might have saved Karin? Why or why not? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
3. Discuss the ways in which Hanna demonstrates love in her dealing with Karin and the baby. Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
This section contains 1,026 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)