|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What favor did the visitor ask?
2. How is Trudi's father towards her?
3. In what does Trudi engage regularly?
4. What is different about this dream than his usual ones?
5. What is the outcome of Oma's illness?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hanna's father end up marrying a different woman than the one to whom he is first engaged?
2. What does Matthias tell Hanna about his life as a priest in training?
3. Describe Hanna's father.
4. What do many people believe is the cause of Trudi becoming an old maid?
5. How did Trudi's mother dropping her supposedly affect her?
6. How is Trudi treated as a child?
7. What does the narrator's mother learn when she returns to the convent after starting labor?
8. What does Hanna notice about Matthias after he receives a regular visitor and what does she say to Matthias about her observation?
9. What is Hanna's mother told by the nuns when she goes to the convent, and what is the mother's response?
10. What do the townspeople say is the source of Trudi's dwarfism?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an important part of what makes Floating in My Mother's Palm interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Hanna. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Hanna's mother. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Hanna's father. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
There are a number of interesting questions raised by Floating in My Mother's Palm. Questions that Hegi most likely want readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the Hegi's agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Hegi's probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
4. Research the life of Hegi and see if/where her life may have influenced her writing.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of Floating in My Mother's Palm and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)