|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the doctors ask Hanna's father?
2. Why doesn't Trudi do what she almost started to do at the river?
3. What does Hanna notice about Matthias after a particular man visits him?
4. Who had Klara and her mother befriended near the end of the war?
5. What does Trudi become?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is rumored about the child of the local midwife?
2. What does the narrator's mother learn when she returns to the convent after starting labor?
3. What is Hanna's mother told by the nuns when she goes to the convent, and what is the mother's response?
4. Who is Klara Blocker?
5. Describe Klara's romance with an American soldier.
6. What happens when Hanna's baby brother is born?
7. How does Siegfried ultimately die?
8. How is Trudi treated as a child?
9. When does Hanna's mother most like to swim?
10. Describe Matthias Berger.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Floating in My Mother's Palm belongs to the general fiction genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the general fiction genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a general fiction novel and a mystery?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of Floating in My Mother's Palm and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of Floating in My Mother's Palm and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why Floating in My Mother's Palm is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)