|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Hanna's mother like to swim?
2. Who is Hanna's girlfriend?
3. Who does Hanna say died as an infant?
4. How is Trudi's father towards her?
5. What illness does Renate suffer as a child?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Hanna's baby brother is born?
2. Describe Klara's romance with an American soldier.
3. How is Trudi treated as a child?
4. How does Hanna's father end up marrying a different woman than the one to whom he is first engaged?
5. What does Siegfried do as a result of the dream and why does he do so?
6. What happens to Hanna's paternal grandmother and how does she cope?
7. What is rumored about the child of the local midwife?
8. What does Hanna learn from Trudi about her father?
9. Describe Hanna's father.
10. What do the townspeople say is the source of Trudi's dwarfism?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Baby Mansion, the reader learns that Hanna was once inappropriately touched by the local bike store owner and that this man made his own granddaughter pregnant with his child. This also follows with the theme of danger. However, this also touches the theme of love as Hanna embraces both Karin and her infant daughter, trying in her innocent way to find a way to keep them together but failing.
1. Do you think Hanna's mother handled Hanna's encounter with the bike store owner? Why or why not? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
2. Do you think if Hanna's mother had said something to Karin's mother it might have saved Karin? Why or why not? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
3. Discuss the ways in which Hanna demonstrates love in her dealing with Karin and the baby. Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in Floating in My Mother's Palm. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of love in Floating in My Mother's Palm. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of death in Floating in My Mother's Palm.
Essay Topic 3
Floating in My Mother's Palm belongs to the general fiction genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the general fiction genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a general fiction novel and a mystery?
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)