Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does this new friend of Hanna's live next to?
2. What does Hanna think her mother and father do for each other?
3. About what does Siegfried start feeling better?
4. Who had Klara and her mother befriended near the end of the war?
5. Who does the mother intend to help with her giving birth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the effect of the painter's actions on Anton and what do the townspeople say about it?
2. How is Oma healed of the second blood clot?
3. Who is Anton Immers?
4. What is Anton Immers' hobby?
5. Describe Klara's romance with an American soldier.
6. Where does Hanna find Rolf, what do they do there and upon what do they agree?
7. What does Hanna notice about Matthias after he receives a regular visitor and what does she say to Matthias about her observation?
8. How does Hanna describe Hannelore's personality?
9. What do the townspeople thing about Hanna's mother and how do they respond to her paintings?
10. Who does Hanna befriend?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Floating in My Mother's Palm.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Floating in My Mother's Palm. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Floating in My Mother's Palm. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 2
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think Floating in My Mother's Palm is? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 3
1. What is foreshadow? How many incidences of foreshadow are in Floating in My Mother's Palm? How does foreshadow contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadow in Floating in My Mother's Palm including why you believe it is foreshadow. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from Floating in My Mother's Palm and your own live to support your opinion.
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)