|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Klara live?
2. Who taught school in a nearby town according to Trudi?
3. Where does Trudi's mother die?
4. What reassurance does the mother receive?
5. What do the doctors ask Hanna's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the new person in town and how does this involve Hannelore?
2. How did Trudi's mother dropping her supposedly affect her?
3. What is Hanna's mother told by the nuns when she goes to the convent, and what is the mother's response?
4. Describe Klara's romance with an American soldier.
5. How is Oma healed of the second blood clot?
6. Who is Klara Blocker?
7. How does Hanna's mother get Hanna involved in swimming?
8. What is wrong with Renate's leg and why and how does Hanna try to fix it?
9. What happens when Hanna's baby brother is born?
10. What happens to Hanna's paternal grandmother and how does she cope?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rolf confronts Hanna about the joke. Hanna becomes angry and tells him that his father abandoned him because he did not want him. Rolf has never been told the truth about his father, therefore he is deeply upset by Hanna's words. When Rolf does not return home that night, a search is organized. The following morning Hanna finds Rolf near the river. Hanna tells him all she knows about his American soldier father. Rolf sends Hanna to learn more. Finally Rolf agrees to go home.
1. From the information given on Hanna's pranks, do you think she carried pranks too far? Why or why not? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
2. Do you think Hanna was wrong for telling Rolf about his father? Why or why not? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
3. Discuss the ways in which Rolf's knowledge of his father might change his life. Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Floating in My Mother's Palm.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Floating in My Mother's Palm. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Floating in My Mother's Palm. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 3
Floating in My Mother's Palm belongs to the general fiction genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the general fiction genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a general fiction novel and a mystery?
This section contains 3,228 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)