|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Siegfried do as a result of the dream?
2. How is Oma helped?
3. For what is Siegfried searching?
4. What is Klara watching when she remembers the end of the war?
5. What one opportunity is destroyed by Trudi's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the effect of the painter's actions on Anton and what do the townspeople say about it?
2. How is Trudi treated as a child?
3. When does Hanna's mother most like to swim?
4. Why does Hanna's mother feel guilty when she hears about Karin Baum's situation?
5. How does Manfred's father endanger Manfred?
6. Where does Manfred Weiler's family live?
7. What does the narrator's mother learn when she returns to the convent after starting labor?
8. What is Anton Immers' hobby?
9. What does Hanna do at the river when she is upset at her father?
10. What does Hanna learn from Trudi about her father?
Essay Topic 1
Rolf confronts Hanna about the joke. Hanna becomes angry and tells him that his father abandoned him because he did not want him. Rolf has never been told the truth about his father, therefore he is deeply upset by Hanna's words. When Rolf does not return home that night, a search is organized. The following morning Hanna finds Rolf near the river. Hanna tells him all she knows about his American soldier father. Rolf sends Hanna to learn more. Finally Rolf agrees to go home.
1. From the information given on Hanna's pranks, do you think she carried pranks too far? Why or why not? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
2. Do you think Hanna was wrong for telling Rolf about his father? Why or why not? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
3. Discuss the ways in which Rolf's knowledge of his father might change his life. Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Floating in My Mother's Palm.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Floating in My Mother's Palm. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Floating in My Mother's Palm. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of Floating in My Mother's Palm, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in Floating in My Mother's Palm. (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
This section contains 3,165 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)