|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Klara vow to do?
2. What is the outcome of Oma's illness?
3. What happens when the mother goes into labor?
4. Why does the mother become enraged?
5. What caused Hanna's father to fall in love with Hanna's mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Siegfried do as a result of the dream and why does he do so?
2. What happens when Hanna's baby brother is born?
3. Who does Hanna befriend?
4. Describe Trudi Montag.
5. What does Hanna learn from Trudi about her father?
6. When does Hanna's mother most like to swim?
7. How did Trudi's mother dropping her supposedly affect her?
8. What does Trudi call Hanna's father's actions concerning his marriage and what does Hanna think about that?
9. Why does Oma go back to the hospital one day?
10. What does Matthias do about Hanna's suggestion about the man who visits him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think Floating in My Mother's Palm is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of Floating in My Mother's Palm and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in Floating in My Mother's Palm. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of love in Floating in My Mother's Palm. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of death in Floating in My Mother's Palm.
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)