|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the mother trust over the next three days?
2. Who does Hanna say died as an infant?
3. What was Matthias once training to be?
4. Who is Trudi's father?
5. For what is Siegfried searching?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the narrator of these stories.
2. Who does Hanna befriend?
3. Describe Trudi Montag.
4. What does Matthias tell Hanna about his life as a priest in training?
5. What is Hanna's mother told by the nuns when she goes to the convent, and what is the mother's response?
6. How is Oma healed of the second blood clot?
7. How did Trudi's mother dropping her supposedly affect her?
8. What does Trudi call Hanna's father's actions concerning his marriage and what does Hanna think about that?
9. What do the townspeople say is the source of Trudi's dwarfism?
10. When does Hanna's mother most like to swim?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1. What is foreshadow? How many incidences of foreshadow are in Floating in My Mother's Palm? How does foreshadow contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadow in Floating in My Mother's Palm including why you believe it is foreshadow. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from Floating in My Mother's Palm and your own live to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think Floating in My Mother's Palm is? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 3
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of Floating in My Mother's Palm and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why Floating in My Mother's Palm is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)