|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose arrival in town one day affects Hannelore's life?
(a) A new teacher.
(b) A politician.
(c) A injured soldier.
(d) A doctor.
2. Why is Rolf deeply upset?
(a) He wishes his mother did not have to work so hard.
(b) He has never heard the truth about his father.
(c) He wishes his grandparents were living with them.
(d) He hates it when Hanna won't talk to him.
3. What does Immers have a habit of doing concerning his pastime?
(a) Weeding out the violets he considered as weaker stock.
(b) Brushing his dogs constantly.
(c) Trying to teach his cats to do things on command.
(d) Trying to breed new colors of roses.
4. About what does Hanna think when she gets back to shore?
(a) Her mother's paintings.
(b) Her dead infant brother.
(c) Her mother and her swimming together.
(d) Her mother's picture she has on her dresser.
5. With whom does Immers live?
(a) No one.
(b) His disabled daughter.
(c) The other folks at the home.
(d) His son and daughter-in-law.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Karin?
2. What is Hanna's father's new girlfriend like?
3. What does Rolf ask Hanna?
4. What happened on New Year's Eve, 1952?
5. What creates a whirlpool?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do Hanna and Renate search for Hans-Jurgen and what is the outcome?
2. What does Hanna do at the river when she is upset at her father?
3. Why does a painter paint over Anton's bedroom window?
4. How does Rolf learn about his father?
5. How does Manfred's father end up dead?
6. Where does Hanna find Rolf, what do they do there and upon what do they agree?
7. What is Anton Immers' hobby?
8. How does Manfred's father endanger Manfred?
9. What happens to a young couple who are in their car and who do the townspeople think is responsible?
10. What does Manfred's father do with the money and then what does he ask his wife when he returns home?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)