|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Hanna when her mother dies?
2. Why does Manfred's father hang Manfred out the window?
(a) To make his wife be quiet.
(b) To force the police to leave his home.
(c) Playing with Manfred.
(d) To force Manfred's mother to give him the grocery money.
3. What do Hanna and Renate decide to do?
(a) Skip school without permission.
(b) Ask permission to skip school one day.
(c) Try to find Hans-Jurgen.
(d) Go swimming in a storm.
4. What does Hanna tell Rolf?
(a) She is sad about the missing cow.
(b) She is glad Rolf is upset.
(c) She is happy that he and Klar are getting along again.
(d) She knows all about Rolf's American father.
5. What does Hanna scheme for a while after Karin gives birth?
(a) Working with children in a nursery.
(b) Going with Karin to another country.
(c) Having her own baby.
(d) Adopting the baby.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Rolf confront Hanna?
2. What do they ask at the restaurant?
3. About what does Hanna think when she gets back to shore?
4. What causes Manfred's father to become violent?
5. What was Anton Immers' occupation?
Short Essay Questions
1. From where does Hans-Jurgen escape and who decides to search for him?
2. Where does Hanna find Rolf, what do they do there and upon what do they agree?
3. How does Manfred's father end up dead?
4. Who is Hannelore Beier?
5. How and why does Anton cull his violets?
6. What upsets Hanna about her father after her mother died and where does she go to get away from the situation?
7. What did Rolf tell Hanna not to do?
8. What does Hanna do at the river when she is upset at her father?
9. Why does a painter paint over Anton's bedroom window?
10. What is the effect of the painter's actions on Anton and what do the townspeople say about it?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)