|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do other people take for granted concerning Hannelore?
(a) Her presence.
(b) Her approachability.
(c) Using her as a babysitter.
(d) Her willingness to help them.
2. Who is Karin Baum?
(a) Trudi's cousin.
(b) Hanna's cousin.
(c) Hanna's friend.
(d) A new girl in town.
3. Where was Hans-Jurgen staying?
(a) The library basement.
(b) The closed ferry terminal.
(c) The abandoned flour mill.
(d) The old cemetary.
4. How does Hanna think she might get to town one day when she is at the river?
(a) Swimming along the bank and taking breaks now and again.
(b) Riding behind her older cousin's motorcycle.
(c) Riding in a friend's rowboat.
(d) Being towed behind a barge.
5. Where does Manfred Weiler's family live?
(a) In a large house on the outskirts of town.
(b) In a tiny apartment over the bakery.
(c) In a large house on Main Street.
(d) In Hanna's house in an apartment in the back.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hannelore do as a result of her brother's action?
2. What does Manfred's father ask his wife when he returns from a bar after holding Manfred out the window?
3. Of what does Hanna's father assure Hanna?
4. Where does Immers live?
5. What does Hanna do when she gets angry at Rolf?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to a young couple who are in their car and who do the townspeople think is responsible?
2. Who is Anton Immers?
3. What is the effect of the painter's actions on Anton and what do the townspeople say about it?
4. What upsets Hanna about her father after her mother died and where does she go to get away from the situation?
5. How and why does Anton cull his violets?
6. What does Hanna do when Rolf says his request?
7. Who is the new person in town and how does this involve Hannelore?
8. Why does Hanna's mother feel guilty when she hears about Karin Baum's situation?
9. How old was Hanna when her mother died and how did her mother die?
10. Who is Hannelore Beier?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)