|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the baby die?
(a) In the hospital in an incubator.
(b) In the bathtub.
(c) On the street where it had crawled.
(d) In his mother's arms.
2. What is different about this dream than his usual ones?
(a) He is not in the dream; just a narrator.
(b) He is able to change it consciously while still sleeping.
(c) It is vivid and recurs.
(d) It has no dream quality to it.
3. What is a characteristic of Hanna's father?
4. How does Hanna's mother decide to help Oma?
(a) By taking Oma and her sister books from the library.
(b) By hiring a housekeeper.
(c) By helping caring for Oma's sister.
(d) By taking her to a faith healer.
5. What one opportunity is destroyed by Trudi's father?
(a) For love.
(b) To travel to Pais.
(c) To become an actress.
(d) To go to boarding school.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hanna's father continually remind Hanna's mother not to do?
2. With whom does Klara live?
3. What is Klara watching when she remembers the end of the war?
4. What does Hanna's mother refuse to do?
5. Why does Hanna take holy water to Renate?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Matthias do about Hanna's suggestion about the man who visits him?
2. How does Hanna's father end up marrying a different woman than the one to whom he is first engaged?
3. Describe the narrator of these stories.
4. Describe Hanna's father.
5. Describe Klara's romance with an American soldier.
6. What do the townspeople say is the source of Trudi's dwarfism?
7. How does Siegfried ultimately die?
8. Who is Klara Blocker?
9. How is Trudi treated as a child?
10. What happens to Hanna's paternal grandmother and how does she cope?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)