|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What one opportunity is destroyed by Trudi's father?
(a) To become an actress.
(b) For love.
(c) To travel to Pais.
(d) To go to boarding school.
2. What rumor is there about Hanna's girl friend?
(a) The young girl is gravely ill.
(b) The girl is a genius.
(c) She is not actually the daughter of who claims her.
(d) The girl is actually the product of an Australian solider and the midwife's best friend.
3. What month of pregnancy is the narrator's mother entering?
4. Why does the mother become enraged?
(a) Her husband says the death is for the best.
(b) The nuns refuse to help her once they know the baby is dead.
(c) The nuns say it is God's will.
(d) Her baby had remained in utero too long and the nuns did nothing.
5. What is a characteristic of Hanna's father?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Siegfried die?
2. What does Hanna encourage Matthias to do?
3. In what apartment does Klara live?
4. What is the outcome of Oma's illness?
5. How does Hanna's paternal grandmother often get around in the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is rumored about the child of the local midwife?
2. What does Hanna notice about Matthias after he receives a regular visitor and what does she say to Matthias about her observation?
3. When does Hanna's mother most like to swim?
4. Describe Hanna's father.
5. How does Siegfried ultimately die?
6. What do many people believe is the cause of Trudi becoming an old maid?
7. Who is Klara Blocker?
8. How is Oma healed of the second blood clot?
9. How does Hanna's father end up marrying a different woman than the one to whom he is first engaged?
10. Who is Siegfried Tegern and what does he dream?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)