|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Oma ask to go to the hospital?
(a) She feels the same symptoms in her other leg that she did in the missing one.
(b) She wants to visit her best friend who is ill.
(c) She thinks she has pneumonia.
(d) She wants to visit her sister who is ill.
2. Upon what does Hanna's father insist?
(a) That his new home be repainted.
(b) That his wife be treated at home rather than in an asylum.
(c) His wife be able to hold the baby for as long as she wants.
(d) The bully that was bothering Hanna be controlled.
3. In what apartment does Klara live?
(a) The same one she lived in during the war.
(b) An apartment that is constructed just as the war is ending.
(c) A brand new high rise.
(d) She lives in a house, not an apartment.
4. What is Klara watching when she remembers the end of the war?
(a) Her children playing in the yard.
(b) Her mother knitting.
(c) The potato delivery.
(d) A movie on television.
5. Where does the mother go after leaving the convent?
(a) Her own home.
(b) She wanders the streets.
(c) The local midwife.
(d) Her parent's home.
Short Answer Questions
1. What caused Hanna's father to fall in love with Hanna's mother?
2. What happens to the solider?
3. When does Hanna's mother like to swim?
4. What does Hanna encourage Matthias to do?
5. What does the mother learn about the baby?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Trudi treated as a child?
2. Describe Klara's romance with an American soldier.
3. Why does Oma go back to the hospital one day?
4. Describe Hanna's father.
5. How did Trudi's mother dropping her supposedly affect her?
6. What is wrong with Renate's leg and why and how does Hanna try to fix it?
7. What does Hanna notice about Matthias after he receives a regular visitor and what does she say to Matthias about her observation?
8. What does Siegfried do as a result of the dream and why does he do so?
9. What happens to Hanna's paternal grandmother and how does she cope?
10. Describe the narrator of these stories.
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)