|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom does Klara live?
(a) Her husband.
(b) She lives alone.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her sister.
2. What does Siegfried begin doing in the evenings?
(a) Researching dreams in the library.
(b) Getting drunk.
(c) Walking his dogs.
(d) Courting a woman down the street.
3. How does Hanna's mother decide to help Oma?
(a) By taking her to a faith healer.
(b) By hiring a housekeeper.
(c) By taking Oma and her sister books from the library.
(d) By helping caring for Oma's sister.
4. What favor did the visitor ask?
(a) For Hanna's mother to show her paintings in a church fair.
(b) For Hanna's mother to start attending church.
(c) For Hanna's mother to judge an art show.
(d) For Hanna's mother to give the students a lecture on watercolor techniques.
5. How does Siegfried die?
(a) His dogs kill him.
(b) He stumbles while drunk and falls over the banister and is hung.
(c) He is killed by a punk wanting money.
(d) An airplane crash.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hanna's paternal grandmother often get around in the house?
2. What does Hanna's paternal grandmother have only one leg?
3. What do the doctors at the hospital attempt to do?
4. When do Hanna and her mother go off to swim?
5. What is a characteristic of Hanna's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does Hanna's mother most like to swim?
2. What does Hanna notice about Matthias after he receives a regular visitor and what does she say to Matthias about her observation?
3. How does Siegfried ultimately die?
4. What does Matthias tell Hanna about his life as a priest in training?
5. What is the problem with the narrator's mother in White Lilacs and what does she do?
6. How does Hanna's father end up marrying a different woman than the one to whom he is first engaged?
7. What do many people believe is the cause of Trudi becoming an old maid?
8. Describe the narrator of these stories.
9. How does Hanna's mother get Hanna involved in swimming?
10. What does the narrator's mother learn when she returns to the convent after starting labor?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)