|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Siegfried live?
(a) Near the center of town over the library.
(b) Near the grain mill.
(c) Near the river.
(d) Up on a mountain.
2. What is the outcome of Oma's illness?
(a) She never recovers bu does not die for several years.
(b) She dies.
(c) She becomes extremely depressed and kills herself.
(d) She recovers.
3. What does Hanna encourage Matthias to do?
(a) No invite the violent man over anymore.
(b) Go back to his training.
(c) Take Hanna's aunt to dinner.
(d) Get some tutoring in math.
4. Why does the mother go there?
(a) She wants to request prayers.
(b) She wants something for her pain.
(c) She intends to give birth there.
(d) She wants the doctor to listen to her baby's heartbeat.
5. Why does Matthias not pursue the course of training he had started?
(a) He became ill.
(b) It did not suit him.
(c) He discovered he like dentistry better.
(d) He realized he did not have the mathematical aptitude.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the narrator's mother go?
2. What month of pregnancy is the narrator's mother entering?
3. What does Trudi say is reckless?
4. When does Hanna's mother like to swim?
5. What do people in the town think of Hanna's mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Trudi call Hanna's father's actions concerning his marriage and what does Hanna think about that?
2. What happens to Hanna's paternal grandmother and how does she cope?
3. What does Manfred's father do with the money and then what does he ask his wife when he returns home?
4. What do the townspeople say is the source of Trudi's dwarfism?
5. What does Matthias do about Hanna's suggestion about the man who visits him?
6. Describe the narrator of these stories.
7. What is the effect of the painter's actions on Anton and what do the townspeople say about it?
8. Who is Klara Blocker?
9. How and why does Anton cull his violets?
10. What is wrong with Renate's leg and why and how does Hanna try to fix it?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)