|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Hanna when her mother dies?
2. What does Immers take care of all the time?
(a) His violets.
(b) His roses.
(c) His cats.
(d) His dogs.
3. What does Manfred's father ask his wife when he returns from a bar after holding Manfred out the window?
(b) For more money.
(c) For forgiveness.
(d) For a divorce.
4. What does Immers have a habit of doing concerning his pastime?
(a) Brushing his dogs constantly.
(b) Weeding out the violets he considered as weaker stock.
(c) Trying to breed new colors of roses.
(d) Trying to teach his cats to do things on command.
5. How does the person being criticized respond?
(a) He trains the dog to jump on Immers.
(b) He paints over Immers' window.
(c) He charges Immers more for the office visit for the parakeet.
(d) She shaves a big gouge in the cat's fur on the back.
6. Why is a search organized in the town?
(a) A farmer's prize cow has wandered off.
(b) A stranger has grabbed a child.
(c) A toddler wandered off into the woods.
(d) Rolf does not come home that night.
7. Where did Hans-Jurgen recently live?
(a) In Paris.
(b) In Germany.
(c) At an insane asylum.
(d) At a veteran's nursing home
8. What does Hanna think about her mother being?
(d) Sometimes mean.
9. What does Manfred's father know he will do?
(a) Shoot his wife.
(b) Thrown Manfred out the window.
(c) Offer to remove the noose.
(d) Shoot himself.
10. Who molests Karin?
(a) The principal at the school.
(b) Karin's grandfather.
(c) No one.
(d) Hanna's grandfather.
11. What do Hanna and Renate decide to do?
(a) Go swimming in a storm.
(b) Ask permission to skip school one day.
(c) Skip school without permission.
(d) Try to find Hans-Jurgen.
12. Whose arrival in town one day affects Hannelore's life?
(a) A new teacher.
(b) A doctor.
(c) A politician.
(d) A injured soldier.
13. Who is Rolf?
(a) A disinterested observer.
(b) Hanna's uncle.
(c) Klara Brocker's son.
(d) The apartment handyman.
14. Where was Hans-Jurgen staying?
(a) The abandoned flour mill.
(b) The old cemetary.
(c) The library basement.
(d) The closed ferry terminal.
15. What does the man do after the pastor took this action?
(a) Brings his mother to live with him.
(b) Proposes to Hannelore.
(c) Leaves town.
(d) Hires a lawyer.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hanna think she might get to town one day when she is at the river?
2. Where does Manfred Weiler's family live?
3. At what times does Hannelore seem to really come to life?
4. How does Hanna tear her skin?
5. What upsets Hanna about six months after her mother dies?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)