|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Hans-Jurgen recently live?
(a) In Germany.
(b) At an insane asylum.
(c) In Paris.
(d) At a veteran's nursing home
2. What was Anton Immers' occupation?
3. How does Hanna think she might get to town one day when she is at the river?
(a) Riding behind her older cousin's motorcycle.
(b) Swimming along the bank and taking breaks now and again.
(c) Being towed behind a barge.
(d) Riding in a friend's rowboat.
4. What happened on New Year's Eve, 1952?
(a) Manfred's mother killed herself with drugs.
(b) Manfred's brother died in an accident.
(c) Manfred's father hanged himself.
(d) Manfred's father left his family and was never heard from again.
5. Why is Rolf deeply upset?
(a) He has never heard the truth about his father.
(b) He wishes his grandparents were living with them.
(c) He wishes his mother did not have to work so hard.
(d) He hates it when Hanna won't talk to him.
6. What does Rolf finally agree to do?
(a) Apologize to Hanna's best friend.
(b) Go back to school.
(c) Go home.
(d) Speak to his grandfather about his father.
7. From what does Veronika think she is invulnerable?
(a) Hanna's mother's censure.
(b) The principal's ire.
(c) The students' rebelling.
(d) The poison.
8. What does Hanna do when she gets angry at Rolf?
(a) Refuses to speak to him for days.
(b) Slaps him.
(c) Tells him that his father did not want him.
(d) Tells his mother about his behavior.
9. Why does Rolf confront Hanna?
(a) He does not confront Hanna.
(b) About Hanna inviting Hans who has a bad reputation.
(c) About what Hanna said to some classmates about Rolf.
(d) About the joke Hanna played on his mother.
10. How does Hanna tear her skin?
(a) She slips on the floor in the archives room.
(b) She slides down a water chute.
(c) The barge chain whips against her.
(d) She slips with the chisel.
11. What is the pastor forced to do concerning the new man in town?
(a) Help him out financially.
(b) Forbid him to court his sister.
(c) Fire him from his teaching position.
(d) Report him to the local authorities.
12. Who hallucinates of poison falling from the sky?
(b) Trudi's neighbor.
(c) The man in the apartment above Hanna's family.
(d) Hanna's mother.
13. Where does Hanna find Rolf the next morning?
(a) In a hayloft.
(b) Near the river.
(c) In the library.
(d) At the old quarry.
14. How does Manfred's mother react as his father dies?
(a) She tries to save him.
(b) She screams.
(c) She is not there.
(d) She is silent.
15. What does Manfred's father know he will do?
(a) Offer to remove the noose.
(b) Thrown Manfred out the window.
(c) Shoot himself.
(d) Shoot his wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hannelore do as a result of her brother's action?
2. How does Hanna ignore what Rolf asks of her?
3. Where was Hans-Jurgen staying?
4. What career does the pastor's sister give up?
5. With whom does Immers live?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)