|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is a search organized in the town?
(a) A farmer's prize cow has wandered off.
(b) Rolf does not come home that night.
(c) A toddler wandered off into the woods.
(d) A stranger has grabbed a child.
2. How does Hanna think she might get to town one day when she is at the river?
(a) Being towed behind a barge.
(b) Swimming along the bank and taking breaks now and again.
(c) Riding behind her older cousin's motorcycle.
(d) Riding in a friend's rowboat.
3. Where does Immers live?
(a) In an apartment where Hanna's family lives.
(b) In a house above the butcher shop.
(c) In an apartment where Trudi's family lives.
(d) In a retirement home.
4. Where did Hans-Jurgen recently live?
(a) In Paris.
(b) At an insane asylum.
(c) In Germany.
(d) At a veteran's nursing home
5. Why does Rolf confront Hanna?
(a) He does not confront Hanna.
(b) About the joke Hanna played on his mother.
(c) About Hanna inviting Hans who has a bad reputation.
(d) About what Hanna said to some classmates about Rolf.
6. What does Hanna do when she gets angry at Rolf?
(a) Tells his mother about his behavior.
(b) Refuses to speak to him for days.
(c) Tells him that his father did not want him.
(d) Slaps him.
7. What does Immers try to give more space in which to grow?
(a) The stronger violets.
(b) The new parakeet babies.
(c) The puppies his one female dog has.
(d) The stronger roses.
8. What precipitates Manfred's father's death?
(a) The chair slips.
(b) His son trips and pushes him out the window.
(c) The cops are banging on the door.
(d) His wife pushes him.
9. What upsets Hanna about six months after her mother dies?
(a) Her father seems to not grieve her mother.
(b) Her father begins dating.
(c) Her father sends her to stay with her grandparents for a while.
(d) Her father wants to send her to live with her aunt.
10. With whom does Immers live?
(a) His disabled daughter.
(b) The other folks at the home.
(c) His son and daughter-in-law.
(d) No one.
11. What does Hanna do one day when she wants away from her father's new girlfriend?
(a) Goes to the vacant grist mill.
(b) Goes to the river to swim.
(c) Goes to the old quarry to swim.
(d) Goes to the library.
12. What does Manfred's father keep begging of his wife?
(a) To take the children to her mother's home.
(b) To speak to him.
(c) To divorce him.
(d) To tell him if she has anymore money.
13. Where are the victim(s) shot?
(a) In their car.
(b) In the park.
(c) In a bank that was being robbed.
(d) At school.
14. What is it about Hanna's mother's personality that causes her death?
(a) Her depression.
(b) Her inattention.
(c) Her recklessness.
(d) Her carelessness.
15. Who is Karin Baum?
(a) Trudi's cousin.
(b) Hanna's friend.
(c) A new girl in town.
(d) Hanna's cousin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hanna decide to do?
2. About what does Hanna think when she gets back to shore?
3. What do Hanna and Renate decide to do?
4. Why is Rolf deeply upset?
5. What does Hanna scheme for a while after Karin gives birth?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)