|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Hanna find Rolf the next morning?
(a) Near the river.
(b) At the old quarry.
(c) In the library.
(d) In a hayloft.
2. What happens to Karin?
(a) She dies in childbirth.
(b) She is leery of men after that.
(c) She becomes pregnant.
(d) She seems unharmed by the event.
3. What does Rolf finally agree to do?
(a) Apologize to Hanna's best friend.
(b) Go back to school.
(c) Go home.
(d) Speak to his grandfather about his father.
4. What precipitates Manfred's father's death?
(a) The chair slips.
(b) His wife pushes him.
(c) His son trips and pushes him out the window.
(d) The cops are banging on the door.
5. Who is Klara Brocker?
(a) Hanna's family's maid.
(b) Trudi's family's maid.
(c) Hanna's aunt.
(d) Manfred's mother.
6. Where was Hans-Jurgen staying?
(a) The abandoned flour mill.
(b) The old cemetary.
(c) The closed ferry terminal.
(d) The library basement.
7. Why does Rolf confront Hanna?
(a) He does not confront Hanna.
(b) About Hanna inviting Hans who has a bad reputation.
(c) About the joke Hanna played on his mother.
(d) About what Hanna said to some classmates about Rolf.
8. Who was shot in town?
(a) A policeman.
(b) A young teen.
(c) A drifter.
(d) A young couple.
9. What happened on New Year's Eve, 1952?
(a) Manfred's father hanged himself.
(b) Manfred's father left his family and was never heard from again.
(c) Manfred's brother died in an accident.
(d) Manfred's mother killed herself with drugs.
10. What shocks Hanna about Veronika's actions?
(a) Veronika eats all the pastries in one bite.
(b) Veronika eats all the waffles.
(c) Veronika gives the students too much homework.
(d) Veronika slaps Hanna on the backside to punish her.
11. What does Rolf ask Hanna?
(a) Not to talk to his mother when she is trying to work.
(b) Not to play anymore jokes on his mother.
(c) If she will give him one of her new puppies.
(d) Not to be friends with Hans Becker.
12. Where does Manfred Weiler's family live?
(a) In a large house on the outskirts of town.
(b) In Hanna's house in an apartment in the back.
(c) In a large house on Main Street.
(d) In a tiny apartment over the bakery.
13. How did Hanna's mother fit into the small town?
(a) Not at all; no one ever spoke to her.
(b) She had a few really good friends.
(c) As if she had been born there.
(d) Not well.
14. What do they ask at the restaurant?
(a) To order take out.
(b) To have tea.
(c) To use the phone.
(d) To use the bathroom.
15. What does Hanna tell Rolf?
(a) She knows all about Rolf's American father.
(b) She is sad about the missing cow.
(c) She is glad Rolf is upset.
(d) She is happy that he and Klar are getting along again.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Manfred's father keep begging of his wife?
2. What is Manfred's father too afraid to do?
3. What does Hanna do one day when she wants away from her father's new girlfriend?
4. What does Immers have a habit of doing concerning his pastime?
5. How does Manfred's mother respond to her husband?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)