|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do people say about what Immers does after the incident?
(a) The new house is much inferior to the old one.
(b) Immers' action was a bit extreme.
(c) They can hardly believe he apologized.
(d) Perhaps someone decided he was of weaker stock.
2. What do Hanna and Renate decide to do?
(a) Ask permission to skip school one day.
(b) Try to find Hans-Jurgen.
(c) Skip school without permission.
(d) Go swimming in a storm.
3. What did Hans-Jurgen do that everyone knows about?
(a) Had an affair with the mayor's wife.
(b) Won a gold medal for swimming.
(d) Shot and killed his girlfriend and a young man.
4. How does the person being criticized respond?
(a) He charges Immers more for the office visit for the parakeet.
(b) She shaves a big gouge in the cat's fur on the back.
(c) He trains the dog to jump on Immers.
(d) He paints over Immers' window.
5. At what times does Hannelore seem to really come to life?
(a) Talking to the librarian about a book she's read.
(b) Playing with her dog.
(d) Reading to children.
6. What do other people take for granted concerning Hannelore?
(a) Her willingness to help them.
(b) Her approachability.
(c) Using her as a babysitter.
(d) Her presence.
7. How does Manfred's father try to manipulate his wife?
(a) He puts a noose around his neck.
(b) He puts a gun to Manfred's head.
(c) He puts a gun to his head.
(d) He threatens divorce.
8. What does Hanna tell Rolf?
(a) She is glad Rolf is upset.
(b) She knows all about Rolf's American father.
(c) She is happy that he and Klar are getting along again.
(d) She is sad about the missing cow.
9. How old is Hanna when her mother dies?
10. What upsets Hanna about six months after her mother dies?
(a) Her father begins dating.
(b) Her father sends her to stay with her grandparents for a while.
(c) Her father seems to not grieve her mother.
(d) Her father wants to send her to live with her aunt.
11. What shocks Hanna about Veronika's actions?
(a) Veronika slaps Hanna on the backside to punish her.
(b) Veronika eats all the waffles.
(c) Veronika gives the students too much homework.
(d) Veronika eats all the pastries in one bite.
12. What does the man do after the pastor took this action?
(a) Leaves town.
(b) Hires a lawyer.
(c) Brings his mother to live with him.
(d) Proposes to Hannelore.
13. How did Hanna and her mother once get to a fancy restaurant?
(a) Floating on the river.
(c) Riding bikes.
(d) Riding a trolley.
14. What is the pastor forced into this action?
(a) The man's mother was ill and needed medical care.
(b) The man stole some things from the church school.
(c) The pastor was worried his sister would get hurt.
(d) Due to his inappropriate relationship with Hannelore.
15. Who hallucinates of poison falling from the sky?
(b) Trudi's neighbor.
(c) Hanna's mother.
(d) The man in the apartment above Hanna's family.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Hanna's mother fit into the small town?
2. Why does Rolf confront Hanna?
3. What creates a whirlpool?
4. What does Hanna decide to do where she goes?
5. From what does Veronika think she is invulnerable?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)