|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Hanna and Renate decide to do?
(a) Go swimming in a storm.
(b) Ask permission to skip school one day.
(c) Skip school without permission.
(d) Try to find Hans-Jurgen.
2. Where does Manfred Weiler's family live?
(a) In a large house on the outskirts of town.
(b) In a tiny apartment over the bakery.
(c) In a large house on Main Street.
(d) In Hanna's house in an apartment in the back.
3. How does Manfred's mother react as his father dies?
(a) She tries to save him.
(b) She is silent.
(c) She is not there.
(d) She screams.
4. Who was shot in town?
(a) A policeman.
(b) A drifter.
(c) A young couple.
(d) A young teen.
5. What do other people take for granted concerning Hannelore?
(a) Her approachability.
(b) Using her as a babysitter.
(c) Her willingness to help them.
(d) Her presence.
6. What does Manfred's father keep begging of his wife?
(a) To divorce him.
(b) To speak to him.
(c) To tell him if she has anymore money.
(d) To take the children to her mother's home.
7. What is Manfred's father too afraid to do?
(a) Kill his wife.
(b) Kill himself.
(c) Stop drinking.
(d) Kill his son.
8. What creates a whirlpool?
(b) The barges' engines.
(c) A mini-tornado.
(d) A fresh water spring.
9. What does Hanna think about her mother being?
(d) Sometimes mean.
10. Why does the pastor's sister give up her career?
(a) To get married.
(b) To care for her brother.
(c) She is blinded in an accident.
(d) She learns she is not patient with children.
11. Who is Rolf?
(a) A disinterested observer.
(b) Klara Brocker's son.
(c) Hanna's uncle.
(d) The apartment handyman.
12. What does Hannelore do as a result of her brother's action?
(a) Moves back to her hometown.
(b) Goes with the man when he leaves town.
(c) Returns to nursing school.
(d) Refuses his offer of marriage.
13. When does he notice this about Hannelore?
(a) At a dinner at the rectory.
(b) At a church social at the river.
(c) At choir practice.
(d) At a party at Hanna's home.
14. Why does Manfred's father hang Manfred out the window?
(a) To force Manfred's mother to give him the grocery money.
(b) To make his wife be quiet.
(c) Playing with Manfred.
(d) To force the police to leave his home.
15. What does Manfred's father ask his wife when he returns from a bar after holding Manfred out the window?
(a) For a divorce.
(b) For forgiveness.
(c) For more money.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Hans-Jurgen recently live?
2. What does Immers have a habit of doing concerning his pastime?
3. Why is Hanna upset?
4. Of what does Hanna's father assure Hanna?
5. What is found recently by the police?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)