|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does he notice this about Hannelore?
(a) At a dinner at the rectory.
(b) At a church social at the river.
(c) At a party at Hanna's home.
(d) At choir practice.
2. Of what does Hanna's father assure Hanna?
(a) He will remember to always consult Hanna about their life.
(b) He will never forget her mother.
(c) Hanna's mother is in a better place.
(d) He will always love Hanna.
3. What does Rolf send Hanna to do?
(a) Learn more about his father.
(b) Ask his mother to come talk with him.
(c) Get him some breakfast.
(d) Get him some paper and a pencil.
4. What does Hanna decide to do where she goes?
(a) Look to see where the murderer slept.
(b) Look up books on death.
(c) Grab a barge chain and ride down the river.
(d) Chip out a statue of her mother's face.
5. Whose arrival in town one day affects Hannelore's life?
(a) A doctor.
(b) A new teacher.
(c) A injured soldier.
(d) A politician.
6. What is the pastor forced to do concerning the new man in town?
(a) Fire him from his teaching position.
(b) Report him to the local authorities.
(c) Forbid him to court his sister.
(d) Help him out financially.
7. Where does Immers live?
(a) In an apartment where Trudi's family lives.
(b) In an apartment where Hanna's family lives.
(c) In a retirement home.
(d) In a house above the butcher shop.
8. Who molests Karin?
(a) No one.
(b) Karin's grandfather.
(c) Hanna's grandfather.
(d) The principal at the school.
9. What does Manfred's father ask his wife when he returns from a bar after holding Manfred out the window?
(b) For a divorce.
(c) For forgiveness.
(d) For more money.
10. What does Hanna decide to do?
(a) Live with her grandparents.
(b) Live with her aunt.
(c) Run away.
(d) Go to boarding school.
11. What does Immers take care of all the time?
(a) His dogs.
(b) His cats.
(c) His violets.
(d) His roses.
12. Who is Veronika?
(a) The new school teacher.
(b) Trudi's housekeeper.
(c) Hanna's nanny.
(d) Hanna's mother's friend.
13. What does Manfred's father know he will do?
(a) Thrown Manfred out the window.
(b) Shoot his wife.
(c) Shoot himself.
(d) Offer to remove the noose.
14. What does Rolf finally agree to do?
(a) Go home.
(b) Go back to school.
(c) Speak to his grandfather about his father.
(d) Apologize to Hanna's best friend.
15. What happens to Karin?
(a) She becomes pregnant.
(b) She dies in childbirth.
(c) She seems unharmed by the event.
(d) She is leery of men after that.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Immers criticize continually one day?
2. Why does the pastor's sister give up her career?
3. How does Hanna ignore what Rolf asks of her?
4. What happened on New Year's Eve, 1952?
5. How does Manfred's mother respond to her husband?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)