|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hanna scheme for a while after Karin gives birth?
(a) Adopting the baby.
(b) Having her own baby.
(c) Working with children in a nursery.
(d) Going with Karin to another country.
2. What does Manfred's father keep begging of his wife?
(a) To divorce him.
(b) To tell him if she has anymore money.
(c) To take the children to her mother's home.
(d) To speak to him.
3. Who is Rolf?
(a) The apartment handyman.
(b) Hanna's uncle.
(c) A disinterested observer.
(d) Klara Brocker's son.
4. What does Hanna think about her mother being?
(b) Sometimes mean.
5. What precipitates Manfred's father's death?
(a) The cops are banging on the door.
(b) His wife pushes him.
(c) The chair slips.
(d) His son trips and pushes him out the window.
6. What does the new person notice about Hannelore?
(a) Her eyes.
(b) Her erect posture.
(c) Her hands.
(d) Her lips.
7. Who molests Karin?
(a) The principal at the school.
(b) No one.
(c) Karin's grandfather.
(d) Hanna's grandfather.
8. Who is Klara Brocker?
(a) Hanna's family's maid.
(b) Hanna's aunt.
(c) Trudi's family's maid.
(d) Manfred's mother.
9. About what does Hanna think when she gets back to shore?
(a) Her mother's picture she has on her dresser.
(b) Her dead infant brother.
(c) Her mother's paintings.
(d) Her mother and her swimming together.
10. Who hallucinates of poison falling from the sky?
(a) Trudi's neighbor.
(c) The man in the apartment above Hanna's family.
(d) Hanna's mother.
11. What does Immers try to give more space in which to grow?
(a) The stronger roses.
(b) The stronger violets.
(c) The puppies his one female dog has.
(d) The new parakeet babies.
12. When does he notice this about Hannelore?
(a) At a church social at the river.
(b) At a dinner at the rectory.
(c) At choir practice.
(d) At a party at Hanna's home.
13. From what does Veronika think she is invulnerable?
(a) The principal's ire.
(b) The students' rebelling.
(c) Hanna's mother's censure.
(d) The poison.
14. At what times does Hannelore seem to really come to life?
(a) Playing with her dog.
(b) Reading to children.
(c) Talking to the librarian about a book she's read.
15. What does Hanna decide to do where she goes?
(a) Look up books on death.
(b) Grab a barge chain and ride down the river.
(c) Chip out a statue of her mother's face.
(d) Look to see where the murderer slept.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose arrival in town one day affects Hannelore's life?
2. Why does Manfred's father hang Manfred out the window?
3. Where did Hans-Jurgen recently live?
4. Why is Rolf deeply upset?
5. What shocks Hanna about Veronika's actions?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)