|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Manfred's mother respond to her husband?
(a) She calls the police again.
(b) She slaps him.
(c) She refuses to speak to him.
(d) She forgives him.
2. What was Anton Immers' occupation?
3. What does the new person notice about Hannelore?
(a) Her lips.
(b) Her eyes.
(c) Her erect posture.
(d) Her hands.
4. What happens to Karin?
(a) She becomes pregnant.
(b) She dies in childbirth.
(c) She is leery of men after that.
(d) She seems unharmed by the event.
5. What happened on New Year's Eve, 1952?
(a) Manfred's mother killed herself with drugs.
(b) Manfred's father hanged himself.
(c) Manfred's father left his family and was never heard from again.
(d) Manfred's brother died in an accident.
6. What is the pastor forced to do concerning the new man in town?
(a) Fire him from his teaching position.
(b) Forbid him to court his sister.
(c) Report him to the local authorities.
(d) Help him out financially.
7. What does the man do after the pastor took this action?
(a) Hires a lawyer.
(b) Proposes to Hannelore.
(c) Leaves town.
(d) Brings his mother to live with him.
8. Where did Hans-Jurgen recently live?
(a) At a veteran's nursing home
(b) In Germany.
(c) At an insane asylum.
(d) In Paris.
9. Of what does Hanna's father assure Hanna?
(a) He will remember to always consult Hanna about their life.
(b) Hanna's mother is in a better place.
(c) He will always love Hanna.
(d) He will never forget her mother.
10. What do Hanna and Renate decide to do?
(a) Go swimming in a storm.
(b) Skip school without permission.
(c) Try to find Hans-Jurgen.
(d) Ask permission to skip school one day.
11. Who is Karin Baum?
(a) Hanna's friend.
(b) Hanna's cousin.
(c) A new girl in town.
(d) Trudi's cousin.
12. What does Manfred's father ask his wife when he returns from a bar after holding Manfred out the window?
(a) For more money.
(b) For a divorce.
(c) For forgiveness.
13. Where was Hans-Jurgen staying?
(a) The old cemetary.
(b) The closed ferry terminal.
(c) The abandoned flour mill.
(d) The library basement.
14. Why does Rolf confront Hanna?
(a) About what Hanna said to some classmates about Rolf.
(b) About Hanna inviting Hans who has a bad reputation.
(c) About the joke Hanna played on his mother.
(d) He does not confront Hanna.
15. From what does Veronika think she is invulnerable?
(a) The students' rebelling.
(b) The principal's ire.
(c) The poison.
(d) Hanna's mother's censure.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do people say about what Immers does after the incident?
2. Why is a search organized in the town?
3. Who does Immers criticize continually one day?
4. What does Hanna think about her mother being?
5. What does Immers have a habit of doing concerning his pastime?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)