|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hanna tear her skin?
(a) She slips with the chisel.
(b) The barge chain whips against her.
(c) She slides down a water chute.
(d) She slips on the floor in the archives room.
2. Why is Rolf deeply upset?
(a) He wishes his mother did not have to work so hard.
(b) He wishes his grandparents were living with them.
(c) He has never heard the truth about his father.
(d) He hates it when Hanna won't talk to him.
3. Where does Immers live?
(a) In a retirement home.
(b) In a house above the butcher shop.
(c) In an apartment where Trudi's family lives.
(d) In an apartment where Hanna's family lives.
4. Whose arrival in town one day affects Hannelore's life?
(a) A politician.
(b) A new teacher.
(c) A injured soldier.
(d) A doctor.
5. How does Manfred's mother react as his father dies?
(a) She tries to save him.
(b) She is silent.
(c) She screams.
(d) She is not there.
6. What happens to Karin?
(a) She dies in childbirth.
(b) She is leery of men after that.
(c) She becomes pregnant.
(d) She seems unharmed by the event.
7. Where does Manfred Weiler's family live?
(a) In a large house on the outskirts of town.
(b) In a large house on Main Street.
(c) In a tiny apartment over the bakery.
(d) In Hanna's house in an apartment in the back.
8. What precipitates Manfred's father's death?
(a) The chair slips.
(b) His wife pushes him.
(c) The cops are banging on the door.
(d) His son trips and pushes him out the window.
9. Where does Hanna find Rolf the next morning?
(a) In a hayloft.
(b) Near the river.
(c) In the library.
(d) At the old quarry.
10. When does he notice this about Hannelore?
(a) At choir practice.
(b) At a party at Hanna's home.
(c) At a dinner at the rectory.
(d) At a church social at the river.
11. Who is Veronika?
(a) Trudi's housekeeper.
(b) The new school teacher.
(c) Hanna's nanny.
(d) Hanna's mother's friend.
12. From what does Veronika think she is invulnerable?
(a) The students' rebelling.
(b) The poison.
(c) Hanna's mother's censure.
(d) The principal's ire.
13. What is Manfred's father too afraid to do?
(a) Kill himself.
(b) Kill his son.
(c) Kill his wife.
(d) Stop drinking.
14. What does Manfred's father ask his wife when he returns from a bar after holding Manfred out the window?
(a) For a divorce.
(c) For forgiveness.
(d) For more money.
15. Why is a search organized in the town?
(a) Rolf does not come home that night.
(b) A farmer's prize cow has wandered off.
(c) A stranger has grabbed a child.
(d) A toddler wandered off into the woods.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Klara Brocker?
2. How does Hanna think she might get to town one day when she is at the river?
3. What career does the pastor's sister give up?
4. In what condition were Hanna and her mother when they went into the restaurant?
5. What does the new person notice about Hannelore?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)