|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was shot in town?
(a) A drifter.
(b) A policeman.
(c) A young teen.
(d) A young couple.
2. Why does Manfred's father hang Manfred out the window?
(a) To force the police to leave his home.
(b) To make his wife be quiet.
(c) Playing with Manfred.
(d) To force Manfred's mother to give him the grocery money.
3. Where was Hans-Jurgen staying?
(a) The library basement.
(b) The closed ferry terminal.
(c) The old cemetary.
(d) The abandoned flour mill.
4. Who hallucinates of poison falling from the sky?
(a) The man in the apartment above Hanna's family.
(b) Trudi's neighbor.
(c) Hanna's mother.
5. What does Hanna do one day when she wants away from her father's new girlfriend?
(a) Goes to the library.
(b) Goes to the vacant grist mill.
(c) Goes to the old quarry to swim.
(d) Goes to the river to swim.
6. What does Immers do a few months after the incident?
(a) Moves into a new house.
(b) Moves away.
(d) Finally apologizes.
7. Who molests Karin?
(a) Karin's grandfather.
(b) The principal at the school.
(c) Hanna's grandfather.
(d) No one.
8. What causes Manfred's father to become violent?
(b) His boss.
(c) Nothing; he was a gentle man.
9. What does Hanna think about her mother being?
(a) Sometimes mean.
10. What does Hannelore do as a result of her brother's action?
(a) Moves back to her hometown.
(b) Refuses his offer of marriage.
(c) Returns to nursing school.
(d) Goes with the man when he leaves town.
11. What does Immers try to give more space in which to grow?
(a) The stronger violets.
(b) The puppies his one female dog has.
(c) The stronger roses.
(d) The new parakeet babies.
12. Who is Hans-Jurgen Braunmeier?
(a) The man everyone thinks shot the victim(s).
(b) The father of the teen shot.
(c) The investigating officer.
(d) The bank manager.
13. What do other people take for granted concerning Hannelore?
(a) Her willingness to help them.
(b) Her approachability.
(c) Using her as a babysitter.
(d) Her presence.
14. What is the pastor forced to do concerning the new man in town?
(a) Help him out financially.
(b) Fire him from his teaching position.
(c) Report him to the local authorities.
(d) Forbid him to court his sister.
15. Why does the pastor's sister give up her career?
(a) To care for her brother.
(b) She is blinded in an accident.
(c) She learns she is not patient with children.
(d) To get married.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Manfred's father too afraid to do?
2. Why is Rolf deeply upset?
3. Of what does Hanna's father assure Hanna?
4. What happens to Karin?
5. What does Hanna decide to do?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)