|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Karin?
(a) She becomes pregnant.
(b) She seems unharmed by the event.
(c) She is leery of men after that.
(d) She dies in childbirth.
2. Who hallucinates of poison falling from the sky?
(b) Hanna's mother.
(c) Trudi's neighbor.
(d) The man in the apartment above Hanna's family.
3. What does the man do after the pastor took this action?
(a) Leaves town.
(b) Hires a lawyer.
(c) Brings his mother to live with him.
(d) Proposes to Hannelore.
4. Who molests Karin?
(a) Hanna's grandfather.
(b) Karin's grandfather.
(c) No one.
(d) The principal at the school.
5. Who is Rolf?
(a) The apartment handyman.
(b) Hanna's uncle.
(c) A disinterested observer.
(d) Klara Brocker's son.
6. Who was shot in town?
(a) A drifter.
(b) A policeman.
(c) A young teen.
(d) A young couple.
7. How does Hanna think she might get to town one day when she is at the river?
(a) Riding in a friend's rowboat.
(b) Being towed behind a barge.
(c) Riding behind her older cousin's motorcycle.
(d) Swimming along the bank and taking breaks now and again.
8. Why is Rolf deeply upset?
(a) He wishes his grandparents were living with them.
(b) He hates it when Hanna won't talk to him.
(c) He wishes his mother did not have to work so hard.
(d) He has never heard the truth about his father.
9. In what condition were Hanna and her mother when they went into the restaurant?
(a) Dressed up.
(b) Dirty and dusty.
(c) Flushed from the sun.
10. What do they ask at the restaurant?
(a) To use the phone.
(b) To use the bathroom.
(c) To order take out.
(d) To have tea.
11. Where do Hanna and Renate go many times?
(a) The abandoned flour mill.
(b) The closed ferry landing.
(c) The lake.
(d) The old quarry.
12. About what does Hanna think when she gets back to shore?
(a) Her dead infant brother.
(b) Her mother and her swimming together.
(c) Her mother's picture she has on her dresser.
(d) Her mother's paintings.
13. What upsets Hanna about six months after her mother dies?
(a) Her father sends her to stay with her grandparents for a while.
(b) Her father seems to not grieve her mother.
(c) Her father wants to send her to live with her aunt.
(d) Her father begins dating.
14. How does Hanna tear her skin?
(a) The barge chain whips against her.
(b) She slides down a water chute.
(c) She slips with the chisel.
(d) She slips on the floor in the archives room.
15. What does Rolf send Hanna to do?
(a) Ask his mother to come talk with him.
(b) Learn more about his father.
(c) Get him some breakfast.
(d) Get him some paper and a pencil.
Short Answer Questions
1. What shocks Hanna about Veronika's actions?
2. What does Hanna scheme for a while after Karin gives birth?
3. Where does Immers spend most of his time?
4. From what does Veronika think she is invulnerable?
5. What does Immers have a habit of doing concerning his pastime?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)