|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the person being criticized respond?
(a) He paints over Immers' window.
(b) She shaves a big gouge in the cat's fur on the back.
(c) He trains the dog to jump on Immers.
(d) He charges Immers more for the office visit for the parakeet.
2. What does the man do after the pastor took this action?
(a) Brings his mother to live with him.
(b) Leaves town.
(c) Proposes to Hannelore.
(d) Hires a lawyer.
3. About what does Hanna think when she gets back to shore?
(a) Her mother's paintings.
(b) Her mother's picture she has on her dresser.
(c) Her dead infant brother.
(d) Her mother and her swimming together.
4. What creates a whirlpool?
(a) A mini-tornado.
(b) A fresh water spring.
(c) The barges' engines.
5. What does Rolf ask Hanna?
(a) Not to be friends with Hans Becker.
(b) Not to play anymore jokes on his mother.
(c) If she will give him one of her new puppies.
(d) Not to talk to his mother when she is trying to work.
6. In what condition were Hanna and her mother when they went into the restaurant?
(a) Dressed up.
(b) Flushed from the sun.
(c) Dirty and dusty.
7. Whose arrival in town one day affects Hannelore's life?
(a) A doctor.
(b) A new teacher.
(c) A politician.
(d) A injured soldier.
8. Why does Manfred's father hang Manfred out the window?
(a) To force Manfred's mother to give him the grocery money.
(b) To force the police to leave his home.
(c) To make his wife be quiet.
(d) Playing with Manfred.
9. What do they ask at the restaurant?
(a) To have tea.
(b) To use the bathroom.
(c) To use the phone.
(d) To order take out.
10. Where do Hanna and Renate go many times?
(a) The lake.
(b) The old quarry.
(c) The closed ferry landing.
(d) The abandoned flour mill.
11. Why does the pastor's sister give up her career?
(a) She is blinded in an accident.
(b) To get married.
(c) She learns she is not patient with children.
(d) To care for her brother.
12. From what does Veronika think she is invulnerable?
(a) Hanna's mother's censure.
(b) The principal's ire.
(c) The students' rebelling.
(d) The poison.
13. What upsets Hanna about six months after her mother dies?
(a) Her father sends her to stay with her grandparents for a while.
(b) Her father wants to send her to live with her aunt.
(c) Her father begins dating.
(d) Her father seems to not grieve her mother.
14. What does Rolf send Hanna to do?
(a) Ask his mother to come talk with him.
(b) Get him some breakfast.
(c) Get him some paper and a pencil.
(d) Learn more about his father.
15. What was Anton Immers' occupation?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Rolf?
2. What precipitates Manfred's father's death?
3. What is found recently by the police?
4. Who is Veronika?
5. How did Hanna's mother fit into the small town?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)