|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Klara watching when she remembers the end of the war?
(a) A movie on television.
(b) Her mother knitting.
(c) Her children playing in the yard.
(d) The potato delivery.
2. How does Hanna's father meet Hanna's mother?
(a) She shares a train compartment with him on a trip.
(b) She was once Hanna's teacher.
(c) She came to have her teeth worked on.
(d) Her best friend's brother is a good friend of Hanna's father.
3. Who is Hanna's girlfriend?
(a) An American girl whose father is working as an architect in Hanna's town.
(b) The daughter of the local midwife.
(c) An orphan who attends Hanna's school.
(d) The mayor's daughter.
4. What does the mother learn about the baby?
(a) It is healthy.
(b) It is a boy.
(c) It is a breech.
(d) It has died.
5. What does Hanna notice about Matthias after a particular man visits him?
(a) Matthias calls in sick to work.
(b) Matthias won't speak to her for awhile.
(c) Matthias is despondent.
(d) Matthias has bruises.
6. Who does Hanna say died as an infant?
(a) Her cousin.
(b) Her little brother.
(c) The neighbor next door's granddaugher.
(d) Her teacher's baby.
7. What does Hanna learn from Trudi?
(a) That Hanna's father was previously engaged before marrying Hanna's mother.
(b) That Trudi's father is going to retire.
(c) That Trudi's mother lives in the United States.
(d) That Hanna's mother is not actually who she thinks she is.
8. Where does the mother go after leaving the convent?
(a) Her own home.
(b) The local midwife.
(c) She wanders the streets.
(d) Her parent's home.
9. What does the mother trust over the next three days?
(a) The fact that the midwife will return in time.
(b) The nuns.
(c) The doctor's assurances.
(d) Her husband.
10. What does Siegfried dream one day?
(a) He is killed in a meadow.
(b) He is imprisoned by some brigands.
(c) He is hung for a crime he did not commit.
(d) He is flying alongside an airplane.
11. Where does Hanna's mother go swimming?
(a) The ocean.
(b) A friend's pool.
(c) The river or old stone quarry.
(d) The lake.
12. What does Klara tell her lover one day?
(a) She is engaged to an old family friend.
(b) She is pregnant.
(c) Her husband is coming home.
(d) She wants to go with him to Australia.
13. What illness does Renate suffer as a child?
(a) Scarlett fever.
14. What is different about this dream than his usual ones?
(a) It has no dream quality to it.
(b) He is not in the dream; just a narrator.
(c) It is vivid and recurs.
(d) He is able to change it consciously while still sleeping.
15. What is the outcome of Oma's illness?
(a) She recovers.
(b) She dies.
(c) She never recovers bu does not die for several years.
(d) She becomes extremely depressed and kills herself.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Siegfried die?
2. Who taught Hanna how to swim?
3. What does Trudi say about Hanna's father?
4. What was Matthias once training to be?
5. What is Siegfried Tegern's occupation?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)