|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Trudi say about Hanna's father?
(a) That he is not native to Italy.
(b) That he almost married a woman who was closer to his age.
(c) That he is often seen at the home of a young secretary.
(d) That he is often seen at the home of a wealthy widow.
2. How does Siegfried die?
(a) He is killed by a punk wanting money.
(b) An airplane crash.
(c) He stumbles while drunk and falls over the banister and is hung.
(d) His dogs kill him.
3. What does Siegfried do as a result of the dream?
(a) Buys a gun.
(b) Buys a dog.
(c) Decides not to take an upcoming trip to the United States on an airplane.
(d) Hires a lawyer.
4. Who is Klara Blocker?
(a) Hanna's best friend.
(b) The maid to Hanna's family.
(c) Hanna's father's sister.
(d) The neighbor and Hanna's mother's best friend.
5. Why does Oma ask to go to the hospital?
(a) She thinks she has pneumonia.
(b) She wants to visit her sister who is ill.
(c) She wants to visit her best friend who is ill.
(d) She feels the same symptoms in her other leg that she did in the missing one.
6. How does the midwife seem before she returns home with her daughter?
(c) Not pregnant.
7. What does Klara vow to do?
(a) Let her sister and husband raise her son since they have no children.
(b) Destroy her son's father's picture.
(c) Go to Scotland and find the father of her baby.
(d) Give her son up for adoption.
8. With whom does Klara live?
(a) She lives alone.
(b) Her sister.
(c) Her husband.
(d) Her mother.
9. What is Trudi almost tempted to do at the river?
(a) Go skinny dipping with the person she meets.
(b) Go swimming in her dress.
(c) Go out in a boat.
(d) Go fishing.
10. Who is Hanna's girlfriend?
(a) The mayor's daughter.
(b) An orphan who attends Hanna's school.
(c) An American girl whose father is working as an architect in Hanna's town.
(d) The daughter of the local midwife.
11. Where does the narrator's mother go?
(a) A hospital.
(b) A drugstore.
(c) A convent.
(d) A free clinic.
12. How is Oma helped?
(a) Her other leg is amputated.
(b) By special herbs and vitamin supplements.
(c) By massage and working the darkness and pain out of Oma's body.
(d) By special teas.
13. What does Trudi become?
(a) A party goer.
(b) A beloved teacher.
(c) A bitter, abused wife.
(d) An old maid and librarian.
14. Where does Trudi's mother die?
(a) At home locked up in the attic.
(b) In the local nursing home.
(c) In a distant hospital.
(d) In the lake where she threw herself.
15. How does Hanna's paternal grandmother often get around in the house?
(a) An electric scooter.
(b) A chair to which her husband attached wheels.
(c) A wheelchair donate to her by a medical charity group.
(d) Holding on to a chair she drags across the floor.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hanna's father meet Hanna's mother?
2. What does the mother learn about the baby?
3. How is Trudi's father towards her?
4. In what does Trudi engage regularly?
5. What does Hanna's mother refuse to do?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)