|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Matthias?
(a) The man Hanna befriends.
(b) The priest where Trudi goes to church.
(c) Hanna's father's dentist partner.
(d) Trudi's uncle.
2. What does Hanna think her mother and father do for each other?
(a) Hanna has no idea.
(b) Keep each other from becoming bored.
(c) Show each other different ways of seeing.
(d) Balance each other.
3. What was Matthias once training to be?
(a) A doctor.
(b) A priest.
(c) An architect.
(d) An engineer.
4. Why doesn't Trudi do what she almost started to do at the river?
(a) The water is too cold.
(b) Her neighbor stops her.
(c) Her father arrives and stops her.
(d) She doesn't want to put the worm on the hook.
5. What happens when the mother goes into labor?
(a) She is relieved that the baby is alive.
(b) She is sad that her pregnancy is about to be over.
(c) She goes to the convent.
(d) She panics and sends her husband for the midwife too soon.
6. Who does Trudi meet at the river one day?
(a) A man.
(b) A young boy.
(c) An elderly woman.
(d) A young girl.
7. How is Oma helped?
(a) By massage and working the darkness and pain out of Oma's body.
(b) By special herbs and vitamin supplements.
(c) Her other leg is amputated.
(d) By special teas.
8. How does Hanna's mother decide to help Oma?
(a) By helping caring for Oma's sister.
(b) By hiring a housekeeper.
(c) By taking Oma and her sister books from the library.
(d) By taking her to a faith healer.
9. In what apartment does Klara live?
(a) She lives in a house, not an apartment.
(b) The same one she lived in during the war.
(c) An apartment that is constructed just as the war is ending.
(d) A brand new high rise.
10. How did people react to Hanna's mother's paintings?
(a) They were repulsed.
(b) They were confused.
(c) They were awed.
(d) They were critical.
11. What caused Hanna's father to fall in love with Hanna's mother?
(a) Her lilting laugh.
(b) He saw one of her paintings.
(c) Her unusual almost gold hair.
(d) Her unusual grey eyes.
12. Who is Renate?
(a) Hanna's sister.
(b) Hanna's cousin.
(c) The midwife.
(d) The midwife's daughter.
13. What does Hanna's mother give Hanna's father?
(a) A reason to work hard.
(b) A reason to not work so hard.
(c) A headache.
(d) Happiness and excitement.
14. How is Trudi's father towards her?
(c) He lets her do whatever she wants.
(d) He seldom sees her and has a nanny care for her.
15. Where does Siegfried live?
(a) Up on a mountain.
(b) Near the grain mill.
(c) Near the center of town over the library.
(d) Near the river.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does this new friend of Hanna's live next to?
2. Where does Siegfried die?
3. What does Siegfried begin doing in the evenings?
4. When do Hanna and her mother go off to swim?
5. What does Klara vow to do?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)