|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Siegfried begin doing in the evenings?
(a) Walking his dogs.
(b) Getting drunk.
(c) Researching dreams in the library.
(d) Courting a woman down the street.
2. Why does Matthias not pursue the course of training he had started?
(a) It did not suit him.
(b) He discovered he like dentistry better.
(c) He realized he did not have the mathematical aptitude.
(d) He became ill.
3. What does Siegfried dream one day?
(a) He is flying alongside an airplane.
(b) He is killed in a meadow.
(c) He is imprisoned by some brigands.
(d) He is hung for a crime he did not commit.
4. Where does the baby die?
(a) In the hospital in an incubator.
(b) In his mother's arms.
(c) On the street where it had crawled.
(d) In the bathtub.
5. How is it said that Trudi's mother went insane?
(a) From guilt of dropping Trudi.
(b) From seeing her young son drown.
(c) Her grandmother passed insanity on to Trudi's mother.
(d) Her husband hit her in the head too often.
6. What happens several weeks later after Matthias stops doing what Hanna noticed?
(a) He has a new man visiting.
(b) He gets a new job.
(c) He sits on the stoop again.
(d) He takes her to get ice cream.
7. Who taught Hanna how to swim?
(a) Her uncle.
(b) Her older brother.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her father.
8. Who had Klara and her mother befriended near the end of the war?
(a) A blinded German soldier.
(b) An American soldier.
(c) A British soldier.
(d) An Australian soldier.
9. What does Hanna think her mother and father do for each other?
(a) Keep each other from becoming bored.
(b) Show each other different ways of seeing.
(c) Hanna has no idea.
(d) Balance each other.
10. What do the doctors at the hospital attempt to do?
(a) Treat Oma's sister with a new drug.
(b) Convince Oma's friend to go home.
(c) Give Oma some lung treatments.
(d) Treat Oma's blood clot in her other leg.
11. How does the action Siegfried take because of his dream get out of hand?
(a) He ends up with seven pistols and one rifle.
(b) He cancels all his future trips.
(c) He pays the lawyer a monthly retainer fee just to keep the lawyer.
(d) He ends up with seven dogs.
12. Who is Matthias?
(a) The priest where Trudi goes to church.
(b) Trudi's uncle.
(c) The man Hanna befriends.
(d) Hanna's father's dentist partner.
13. Where does Siegfried die?
(a) In the upper floor of the library.
(b) On his way to the United States.
(c) In the meadow he had found.
(d) In the city park.
14. What happens to the solider?
(a) He is refused permssion to marry Klara.
(b) He marries Klara but is then killed.
(c) He is killed when Klara is three months pregant.
(d) He is supposedly reassigned.
15. What one opportunity is destroyed by Trudi's father?
(a) To become an actress.
(b) To travel to Pais.
(c) For love.
(d) To go to boarding school.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hanna often do with a flower she steals here and there?
2. What illness does Renate suffer as a child?
3. What does the narrator's mother realize?
4. What was Matthias once training to be?
5. Why does Hanna take holy water to Renate?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)