|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Klara tell her lover one day?
(a) She wants to go with him to Australia.
(b) She is pregnant.
(c) Her husband is coming home.
(d) She is engaged to an old family friend.
2. How does Hanna's paternal grandmother often get around in the house?
(a) A wheelchair donate to her by a medical charity group.
(b) An electric scooter.
(c) Holding on to a chair she drags across the floor.
(d) A chair to which her husband attached wheels.
3. Who taught Hanna how to swim?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her older brother.
(d) Her uncle.
4. What illness does Renate suffer as a child?
(a) Scarlett fever.
5. What caused Hanna's father to fall in love with Hanna's mother?
(a) Her lilting laugh.
(b) He saw one of her paintings.
(c) Her unusual grey eyes.
(d) Her unusual almost gold hair.
6. Who does the mother intend to help with her giving birth?
(a) No one.
(c) Her sister.
(d) A midwife.
7. Where does the narrator's mother go?
(a) A hospital.
(b) A convent.
(c) A drugstore.
(d) A free clinic.
8. Who is Renate?
(a) The midwife's daughter.
(b) Hanna's sister.
(c) Hanna's cousin.
(d) The midwife.
9. What is the outcome of Oma's illness?
(a) She becomes extremely depressed and kills herself.
(b) She recovers.
(c) She dies.
(d) She never recovers bu does not die for several years.
10. Who does Hanna befriend?
(a) A new boy at school.
(b) A new girl at school.
(c) Her cousin's good friend.
(d) A new man in her apartment building.
11. What is Trudi almost tempted to do at the river?
(a) Go skinny dipping with the person she meets.
(b) Go swimming in her dress.
(c) Go fishing.
(d) Go out in a boat.
12. What does Siegfried dream one day?
(a) He is hung for a crime he did not commit.
(b) He is flying alongside an airplane.
(c) He is imprisoned by some brigands.
(d) He is killed in a meadow.
13. Who is Hanna's girlfriend?
(a) An orphan who attends Hanna's school.
(b) The daughter of the local midwife.
(c) An American girl whose father is working as an architect in Hanna's town.
(d) The mayor's daughter.
14. What does Hanna's father continually remind Hanna's mother not to do?
(a) Crunch ice with her teeth.
(b) Talk to the beggers on the corners.
(c) Be reckless.
(d) Gallop her horse so fast.
15. How does Siegfried die?
(a) An airplane crash.
(b) He is killed by a punk wanting money.
(c) His dogs kill him.
(d) He stumbles while drunk and falls over the banister and is hung.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is different about this dream than his usual ones?
2. What does Hanna notice about Matthias after a particular man visits him?
3. Why does the mother go there?
4. Who had Klara and her mother befriended near the end of the war?
5. What is said is the result of what Trudi's mother did?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)