|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Siegfried do as a result of the dream?
(a) Buys a dog.
(b) Decides not to take an upcoming trip to the United States on an airplane.
(c) Buys a gun.
(d) Hires a lawyer.
2. What is Trudi almost tempted to do at the river?
(a) Go skinny dipping with the person she meets.
(b) Go swimming in her dress.
(c) Go fishing.
(d) Go out in a boat.
3. What do the doctors at the hospital attempt to do?
(a) Treat Oma's blood clot in her other leg.
(b) Treat Oma's sister with a new drug.
(c) Convince Oma's friend to go home.
(d) Give Oma some lung treatments.
4. Who does Hanna say died as an infant?
(a) Her little brother.
(b) The neighbor next door's granddaugher.
(c) Her teacher's baby.
(d) Her cousin.
5. Why does Hanna take holy water to Renate?
(a) To try to heal Renate's leg.
(b) To bless the midwife's home.
(c) To try to heal herself.
(d) To see if Renate will drink it.
6. Where does the mother go after leaving the convent?
(a) The local midwife.
(b) Her own home.
(c) She wanders the streets.
(d) Her parent's home.
7. What does Hanna's father continually remind Hanna's mother not to do?
(a) Gallop her horse so fast.
(b) Be reckless.
(c) Crunch ice with her teeth.
(d) Talk to the beggers on the corners.
8. Why does the mother go there?
(a) She wants the doctor to listen to her baby's heartbeat.
(b) She wants to request prayers.
(c) She wants something for her pain.
(d) She intends to give birth there.
9. Why does the mother become enraged?
(a) The nuns say it is God's will.
(b) Her husband says the death is for the best.
(c) The nuns refuse to help her once they know the baby is dead.
(d) Her baby had remained in utero too long and the nuns did nothing.
10. When do Hanna and her mother go off to swim?
(a) When Hanna gets a holiday from school.
(b) Whenever the clouds roll in.
(c) Before daylight on Saturdays.
(d) Always on Sundays.
11. For what is Siegfried searching?
(a) Peace from his fears.
(b) If dreams can be prophetic.
(c) A wife.
(d) The meadow where he is killed in the dream.
12. What is different about this dream than his usual ones?
(a) He is not in the dream; just a narrator.
(b) He is able to change it consciously while still sleeping.
(c) It has no dream quality to it.
(d) It is vivid and recurs.
13. Why doesn't Trudi do what she almost started to do at the river?
(a) The water is too cold.
(b) Her father arrives and stops her.
(c) Her neighbor stops her.
(d) She doesn't want to put the worm on the hook.
14. What does Hanna often do with a flower she steals here and there?
(a) Decorates her room.
(b) Gives them to her mother.
(c) Gives them to her teacher.
(d) Places them on her brother's grave.
15. Where does the narrator's mother go?
(a) A convent.
(b) A hospital.
(c) A drugstore.
(d) A free clinic.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who came to ask a favor of Hanna's mother?
2. What is the outcome of Oma's illness?
3. With whom does Klara become lovers near the end of the war?
4. Where does this new friend of Hanna's live next to?
5. What does Siegfried begin doing in the evenings?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)