|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the mother become enraged?
(a) The nuns refuse to help her once they know the baby is dead.
(b) The nuns say it is God's will.
(c) Her husband says the death is for the best.
(d) Her baby had remained in utero too long and the nuns did nothing.
2. What one opportunity is destroyed by Trudi's father?
(a) To travel to Pais.
(b) To go to boarding school.
(c) To become an actress.
(d) For love.
3. What rumor is there about Hanna's girl friend?
(a) She is not actually the daughter of who claims her.
(b) The young girl is gravely ill.
(c) The girl is a genius.
(d) The girl is actually the product of an Australian solider and the midwife's best friend.
4. What does Hanna's mother refuse to do?
(a) Attend church.
(b) Start painting again.
(c) Let Hanna attend school.
(d) Let go of the baby after he had died.
5. What do the doctors ask Hanna's father?
(a) To take the baby from his wife.
(b) To make sure his wife does not harm their new son.
(c) To commit Hanna's mother to the hospital for therapy.
(d) To make Hanna go to school.
6. For what is Siegfried searching?
(a) If dreams can be prophetic.
(b) Peace from his fears.
(c) The meadow where he is killed in the dream.
(d) A wife.
7. What happens to the solider?
(a) He is supposedly reassigned.
(b) He marries Klara but is then killed.
(c) He is killed when Klara is three months pregant.
(d) He is refused permssion to marry Klara.
8. Where does the mother go after leaving the convent?
(a) The local midwife.
(b) Her parent's home.
(c) Her own home.
(d) She wanders the streets.
9. Who is Matthias?
(a) Hanna's father's dentist partner.
(b) Trudi's uncle.
(c) The man Hanna befriends.
(d) The priest where Trudi goes to church.
10. Who is Hanna's girlfriend?
(a) An orphan who attends Hanna's school.
(b) The mayor's daughter.
(c) An American girl whose father is working as an architect in Hanna's town.
(d) The daughter of the local midwife.
11. What does Klara vow to do?
(a) Let her sister and husband raise her son since they have no children.
(b) Give her son up for adoption.
(c) Destroy her son's father's picture.
(d) Go to Scotland and find the father of her baby.
12. What was Matthias once training to be?
(a) A doctor.
(b) A priest.
(c) An engineer.
(d) An architect.
13. What is a characteristic of Hanna's father?
14. What does the narrator's mother realize?
(a) Her husband is not going to return home in time for the delivery.
(b) She is about to go into labor.
(c) She is not sure she wants to keep the baby.
(d) She cannot feel the baby moving.
15. What does Trudi say about Hanna's father?
(a) That he is often seen at the home of a wealthy widow.
(b) That he is not native to Italy.
(c) That he is often seen at the home of a young secretary.
(d) That he almost married a woman who was closer to his age.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did Hanna's mother hear about her paintings from people?
2. What does the mother trust over the next three days?
3. What is Klara watching when she remembers the end of the war?
4. What does Hanna's father do in response to the doctor's request?
5. What is Trudi almost tempted to do at the river?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)