|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Trudi's father?
(a) The doctor.
(b) The local pay librarian.
(c) The mayor.
(d) The constable.
2. What does Hanna notice about Matthias after a particular man visits him?
(a) Matthias is despondent.
(b) Matthias calls in sick to work.
(c) Matthias has bruises.
(d) Matthias won't speak to her for awhile.
3. Where does the baby die?
(a) On the street where it had crawled.
(b) In his mother's arms.
(c) In the bathtub.
(d) In the hospital in an incubator.
4. When do Hanna and her mother go off to swim?
(a) When Hanna gets a holiday from school.
(b) Always on Sundays.
(c) Whenever the clouds roll in.
(d) Before daylight on Saturdays.
5. What does Hanna's paternal grandmother have only one leg?
(a) She lost the other one to a blood clot.
(b) She was in a car accident.
(c) She was born with only one leg and one hand.
(d) She was born with a shriveled leg they had to eventually amputate.
6. What month of pregnancy is the narrator's mother entering?
7. What is said is the result of what Trudi's mother did?
(a) Trudi is almost blind.
(b) Trudi is now too fat.
(c) Trudi is a drawf.
(d) Trudi is smarter than all the other children.
8. What does Hanna notice Matthias stops doing?
(a) Going to work.
(b) Giving her candy.
(c) Inviting the man over.
(d) Sitting on the front stoop and talking to her.
9. How is it said that Trudi's mother went insane?
(a) Her husband hit her in the head too often.
(b) From guilt of dropping Trudi.
(c) Her grandmother passed insanity on to Trudi's mother.
(d) From seeing her young son drown.
10. Where does Siegfried live?
(a) Near the river.
(b) Up on a mountain.
(c) Near the center of town over the library.
(d) Near the grain mill.
11. What do people in the town think of Hanna's mother?
(a) She is neglectful of her family.
(b) She is odd.
(c) She is beautiful.
(d) She is gracious.
12. Why does Oma ask to go to the hospital?
(a) She wants to visit her best friend who is ill.
(b) She thinks she has pneumonia.
(c) She feels the same symptoms in her other leg that she did in the missing one.
(d) She wants to visit her sister who is ill.
13. What does Trudi become?
(a) An old maid and librarian.
(b) A party goer.
(c) A bitter, abused wife.
(d) A beloved teacher.
14. What does Hanna's mother not show people for a long time?
(a) Her paintings.
(b) Her emotions.
(c) Photos of her past.
(d) Her home.
15. What caused Hanna's father to fall in love with Hanna's mother?
(a) Her unusual grey eyes.
(b) He saw one of her paintings.
(c) Her unusual almost gold hair.
(d) Her lilting laugh.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Siegfried begin doing in the evenings?
2. Who does Hanna say died as an infant?
3. How is Trudi's father towards her?
4. Where does this new friend of Hanna's live next to?
5. How did people react to Hanna's mother's paintings?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)