|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who had Klara and her mother befriended near the end of the war?
(a) An Australian soldier.
(b) A British soldier.
(c) A blinded German soldier.
(d) An American soldier.
2. What does Hanna's mother not show people for a long time?
(a) Her paintings.
(b) Her emotions.
(c) Photos of her past.
(d) Her home.
3. In what apartment does Klara live?
(a) A brand new high rise.
(b) She lives in a house, not an apartment.
(c) An apartment that is constructed just as the war is ending.
(d) The same one she lived in during the war.
4. Who is Renate?
(a) The midwife.
(b) The midwife's daughter.
(c) Hanna's cousin.
(d) Hanna's sister.
5. Why does Oma ask to go to the hospital?
(a) She wants to visit her best friend who is ill.
(b) She wants to visit her sister who is ill.
(c) She feels the same symptoms in her other leg that she did in the missing one.
(d) She thinks she has pneumonia.
6. What does Hanna think her mother and father do for each other?
(a) Keep each other from becoming bored.
(b) Hanna has no idea.
(c) Show each other different ways of seeing.
(d) Balance each other.
7. What do the doctors at the hospital attempt to do?
(a) Treat Oma's sister with a new drug.
(b) Give Oma some lung treatments.
(c) Convince Oma's friend to go home.
(d) Treat Oma's blood clot in her other leg.
8. How did people react to Hanna's mother's paintings?
(a) They were awed.
(b) They were confused.
(c) They were critical.
(d) They were repulsed.
9. Where does this new friend of Hanna's live next to?
(a) Next door to Hanna's cousin.
(b) Next to the train station.
(c) Hanna's mother's art studio.
(d) Across the street from the school.
10. Where does Trudi's mother die?
(a) In the local nursing home.
(b) In the lake where she threw herself.
(c) At home locked up in the attic.
(d) In a distant hospital.
11. Who does Trudi meet at the river one day?
(a) A man.
(b) A young boy.
(c) A young girl.
(d) An elderly woman.
12. How does the action Siegfried take because of his dream get out of hand?
(a) He pays the lawyer a monthly retainer fee just to keep the lawyer.
(b) He cancels all his future trips.
(c) He ends up with seven pistols and one rifle.
(d) He ends up with seven dogs.
13. Who does Hanna say died as an infant?
(a) Her cousin.
(b) Her teacher's baby.
(c) Her little brother.
(d) The neighbor next door's granddaugher.
14. How does Siegfried die?
(a) An airplane crash.
(b) He stumbles while drunk and falls over the banister and is hung.
(c) He is killed by a punk wanting money.
(d) His dogs kill him.
15. What is a characteristic of Hanna's father?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who came to ask a favor of Hanna's mother?
2. Who is Hanna's girlfriend?
3. What does the mother trust over the next three days?
4. What does Hanna's father continually remind Hanna's mother not to do?
5. What does the narrator's mother realize?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)