|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Siegfried live?
(a) Near the center of town over the library.
(b) Near the river.
(c) Up on a mountain.
(d) Near the grain mill.
2. What happens several weeks later after Matthias stops doing what Hanna noticed?
(a) He gets a new job.
(b) He takes her to get ice cream.
(c) He sits on the stoop again.
(d) He has a new man visiting.
3. What happens when the mother goes into labor?
(a) She goes to the convent.
(b) She is sad that her pregnancy is about to be over.
(c) She is relieved that the baby is alive.
(d) She panics and sends her husband for the midwife too soon.
4. How does Siegfried die?
(a) He stumbles while drunk and falls over the banister and is hung.
(b) His dogs kill him.
(c) An airplane crash.
(d) He is killed by a punk wanting money.
5. What does Hanna's mother give Hanna's father?
(a) A reason to work hard.
(b) A headache.
(c) A reason to not work so hard.
(d) Happiness and excitement.
6. When does Hanna's mother like to swim?
(a) When the water is warm.
(b) When the water is very chilly.
(c) When no one else is around.
(d) When there is a thunderstorm.
7. Who is Matthias?
(a) The man Hanna befriends.
(b) Hanna's father's dentist partner.
(c) Trudi's uncle.
(d) The priest where Trudi goes to church.
8. How did people react to Hanna's mother's paintings?
(a) They were critical.
(b) They were repulsed.
(c) They were confused.
(d) They were awed.
9. What is Trudi almost tempted to do at the river?
(a) Go swimming in her dress.
(b) Go skinny dipping with the person she meets.
(c) Go out in a boat.
(d) Go fishing.
10. What does Hanna's father do in response to the doctor's request?
(a) Moves his family.
(b) Walks Hanna to school everyday.
(c) Wraps his arms around his wife.
(d) Gently pulls the baby out of his wife's arms.
11. How is Trudi treated in her childhood?
(a) With derision.
(b) With thoughtlessness.
(c) No one goes near her.
(d) With extreme care.
12. Who is Trudi's father?
(a) The doctor.
(b) The mayor.
(c) The constable.
(d) The local pay librarian.
13. How does the action Siegfried take because of his dream get out of hand?
(a) He cancels all his future trips.
(b) He ends up with seven pistols and one rifle.
(c) He pays the lawyer a monthly retainer fee just to keep the lawyer.
(d) He ends up with seven dogs.
14. What is a characteristic of Hanna's father?
15. What does Hanna think her mother and father do for each other?
(a) Hanna has no idea.
(b) Balance each other.
(c) Keep each other from becoming bored.
(d) Show each other different ways of seeing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do people in the town think of Hanna's mother?
2. With whom does Klara live?
3. Why does Hanna take holy water to Renate?
4. What does Trudi become?
5. What does Siegfried do as a result of the dream?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)