|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Siegfried die?
(a) In the upper floor of the library.
(b) In the city park.
(c) On his way to the United States.
(d) In the meadow he had found.
2. What rumor is there about Hanna's girl friend?
(a) She is not actually the daughter of who claims her.
(b) The young girl is gravely ill.
(c) The girl is actually the product of an Australian solider and the midwife's best friend.
(d) The girl is a genius.
3. Who does Trudi meet at the river one day?
(a) An elderly woman.
(b) A young girl.
(c) A man.
(d) A young boy.
4. Where does the baby die?
(a) In the hospital in an incubator.
(b) In the bathtub.
(c) In his mother's arms.
(d) On the street where it had crawled.
5. What does Hanna's father do with Oma?
(a) Take her to her favorite beach.
(b) Take her to a specialist.
(c) Take her home to die.
(d) Take her to stay with Oma's sister to care for the sister.
6. Who does Hanna befriend?
(a) Her cousin's good friend.
(b) A new girl at school.
(c) A new man in her apartment building.
(d) A new boy at school.
7. Who is Renate?
(a) The midwife's daughter.
(b) Hanna's sister.
(c) Hanna's cousin.
(d) The midwife.
8. For what is Siegfried searching?
(a) The meadow where he is killed in the dream.
(b) If dreams can be prophetic.
(c) A wife.
(d) Peace from his fears.
9. What is Trudi almost tempted to do at the river?
(a) Go out in a boat.
(b) Go swimming in her dress.
(c) Go skinny dipping with the person she meets.
(d) Go fishing.
10. In what does Trudi engage regularly?
(a) Brisk walking.
(d) Writing funny stories.
11. What happens when the mother goes into labor?
(a) She panics and sends her husband for the midwife too soon.
(b) She is relieved that the baby is alive.
(c) She goes to the convent.
(d) She is sad that her pregnancy is about to be over.
12. Where does Hanna's mother go swimming?
(a) A friend's pool.
(b) The ocean.
(c) The lake.
(d) The river or old stone quarry.
13. What does Hanna's paternal grandmother have only one leg?
(a) She was born with a shriveled leg they had to eventually amputate.
(b) She was in a car accident.
(c) She lost the other one to a blood clot.
(d) She was born with only one leg and one hand.
14. How does Hanna's father meet Hanna's mother?
(a) She shares a train compartment with him on a trip.
(b) She came to have her teeth worked on.
(c) Her best friend's brother is a good friend of Hanna's father.
(d) She was once Hanna's teacher.
15. Where does the narrator's mother go?
(a) A free clinic.
(b) A drugstore.
(c) A hospital.
(d) A convent.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who taught school in a nearby town according to Trudi?
2. How is Trudi treated in her childhood?
3. What does Hanna notice about Matthias after a particular man visits him?
4. What do people in the town think of Hanna's mother?
5. Who taught Hanna how to swim?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)