|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the mother ask about the baby?
(a) If the baby is too premature.
(b) If she should be concerned.
(c) If it is going to be a girl.
(d) If the baby is ready to come out.
2. What does Hanna often do with a flower she steals here and there?
(a) Decorates her room.
(b) Gives them to her teacher.
(c) Gives them to her mother.
(d) Places them on her brother's grave.
3. How is Oma helped?
(a) By special herbs and vitamin supplements.
(b) Her other leg is amputated.
(c) By special teas.
(d) By massage and working the darkness and pain out of Oma's body.
4. Why does Hanna take holy water to Renate?
(a) To bless the midwife's home.
(b) To try to heal herself.
(c) To try to heal Renate's leg.
(d) To see if Renate will drink it.
5. What does Hanna's father do in response to the doctor's request?
(a) Gently pulls the baby out of his wife's arms.
(b) Wraps his arms around his wife.
(c) Walks Hanna to school everyday.
(d) Moves his family.
6. With whom does Klara live?
(a) Her mother.
(b) She lives alone.
(c) Her husband.
(d) Her sister.
7. What do the doctors ask Hanna's father?
(a) To take the baby from his wife.
(b) To commit Hanna's mother to the hospital for therapy.
(c) To make Hanna go to school.
(d) To make sure his wife does not harm their new son.
8. What does Hanna's mother give Hanna's father?
(a) A reason to not work so hard.
(b) A reason to work hard.
(c) Happiness and excitement.
(d) A headache.
9. What does Klara tell her lover one day?
(a) Her husband is coming home.
(b) She is pregnant.
(c) She wants to go with him to Australia.
(d) She is engaged to an old family friend.
10. What does the mother trust over the next three days?
(a) The nuns.
(b) The doctor's assurances.
(c) The fact that the midwife will return in time.
(d) Her husband.
11. What happens to the solider?
(a) He marries Klara but is then killed.
(b) He is supposedly reassigned.
(c) He is refused permssion to marry Klara.
(d) He is killed when Klara is three months pregant.
12. Why does Oma ask to go to the hospital?
(a) She wants to visit her sister who is ill.
(b) She wants to visit her best friend who is ill.
(c) She thinks she has pneumonia.
(d) She feels the same symptoms in her other leg that she did in the missing one.
13. What month of pregnancy is the narrator's mother entering?
14. What is said is the result of what Trudi's mother did?
(a) Trudi is a drawf.
(b) Trudi is now too fat.
(c) Trudi is almost blind.
(d) Trudi is smarter than all the other children.
15. What does Klara vow to do?
(a) Give her son up for adoption.
(b) Destroy her son's father's picture.
(c) Let her sister and husband raise her son since they have no children.
(d) Go to Scotland and find the father of her baby.
Short Answer Questions
1. What illness does Renate suffer as a child?
2. Where does Siegfried live?
3. What do people in the town think of Hanna's mother?
4. What is a characteristic of Hanna's father?
5. What does Hanna learn from Trudi?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)