|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Trudi treated in her childhood?
(a) With extreme care.
(b) With derision.
(c) No one goes near her.
(d) With thoughtlessness.
2. What does the mother learn about the baby?
(a) It is a boy.
(b) It is healthy.
(c) It is a breech.
(d) It has died.
3. What happens several weeks later after Matthias stops doing what Hanna noticed?
(a) He takes her to get ice cream.
(b) He sits on the stoop again.
(c) He has a new man visiting.
(d) He gets a new job.
4. Who does Trudi meet at the river one day?
(a) An elderly woman.
(b) A young girl.
(c) A young boy.
(d) A man.
5. When does Hanna's mother like to swim?
(a) When the water is very chilly.
(b) When there is a thunderstorm.
(c) When no one else is around.
(d) When the water is warm.
6. What does Hanna learn from Trudi?
(a) That Trudi's mother lives in the United States.
(b) That Hanna's mother is not actually who she thinks she is.
(c) That Hanna's father was previously engaged before marrying Hanna's mother.
(d) That Trudi's father is going to retire.
7. Who is Matthias?
(a) The man Hanna befriends.
(b) The priest where Trudi goes to church.
(c) Trudi's uncle.
(d) Hanna's father's dentist partner.
8. What is Trudi almost tempted to do at the river?
(a) Go skinny dipping with the person she meets.
(b) Go swimming in her dress.
(c) Go fishing.
(d) Go out in a boat.
9. Who taught Hanna how to swim?
(a) Her older brother.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her uncle.
10. What does Siegfried do as a result of the dream?
(a) Decides not to take an upcoming trip to the United States on an airplane.
(b) Buys a dog.
(c) Buys a gun.
(d) Hires a lawyer.
11. How did people react to Hanna's mother's paintings?
(a) They were awed.
(b) They were confused.
(c) They were critical.
(d) They were repulsed.
12. How does the midwife seem before she returns home with her daughter?
(b) Not pregnant.
13. What reassurance does the mother receive?
(a) The baby is resting for the birth.
(b) The doctor will come to her home when she is ready to give birth.
(c) The midwife will return from the midwife's daughter's home soon.
(d) Her husband will return that day.
14. Why does the mother become enraged?
(a) Her baby had remained in utero too long and the nuns did nothing.
(b) The nuns refuse to help her once they know the baby is dead.
(c) Her husband says the death is for the best.
(d) The nuns say it is God's will.
15. What is a characteristic of Hanna's father?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hanna's father continually remind Hanna's mother not to do?
2. How does Hanna's mother decide to help Oma?
3. Upon what does Hanna's father insist?
4. What is said is the result of what Trudi's mother did?
5. What does Hanna notice Matthias stops doing?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)