|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the baby die?
(a) In his mother's arms.
(b) In the bathtub.
(c) In the hospital in an incubator.
(d) On the street where it had crawled.
2. What does Hanna's mother not show people for a long time?
(a) Her home.
(b) Her paintings.
(c) Her emotions.
(d) Photos of her past.
3. Where does Trudi's mother die?
(a) At home locked up in the attic.
(b) In a distant hospital.
(c) In the local nursing home.
(d) In the lake where she threw herself.
4. How does Hanna's paternal grandmother often get around in the house?
(a) A chair to which her husband attached wheels.
(b) An electric scooter.
(c) A wheelchair donate to her by a medical charity group.
(d) Holding on to a chair she drags across the floor.
5. Why does Matthias not pursue the course of training he had started?
(a) He realized he did not have the mathematical aptitude.
(b) He discovered he like dentistry better.
(c) He became ill.
(d) It did not suit him.
6. What is Trudi almost tempted to do at the river?
(a) Go fishing.
(b) Go swimming in her dress.
(c) Go skinny dipping with the person she meets.
(d) Go out in a boat.
7. How long did Hanna's mother hear about her paintings from people?
(a) They never talked about them.
(b) Every time she displays them, there is gossip for a while.
(c) They eventually stopped talking about them.
(d) They were still talking about them when Hanna was a middle-aged woman.
8. Who is Hanna's girlfriend?
(a) An orphan who attends Hanna's school.
(b) The daughter of the local midwife.
(c) An American girl whose father is working as an architect in Hanna's town.
(d) The mayor's daughter.
9. What does Trudi become?
(a) An old maid and librarian.
(b) A bitter, abused wife.
(c) A party goer.
(d) A beloved teacher.
10. What is Siegfried Tegern's occupation?
11. Why does Hanna take holy water to Renate?
(a) To try to heal Renate's leg.
(b) To try to heal herself.
(c) To see if Renate will drink it.
(d) To bless the midwife's home.
12. Who came to ask a favor of Hanna's mother?
(a) The mayor.
(b) The local pastor.
(c) The local pastor's sister.
(d) The art teacher at Hanna's school.
13. What does Hanna's mother refuse to do?
(a) Attend church.
(b) Let go of the baby after he had died.
(c) Start painting again.
(d) Let Hanna attend school.
14. What does Trudi say is reckless?
(a) Hanna's father falling for Hanna's mother based upon a painting.
(b) Hanna's father falling for Hanna's mother based upon eye color.
(c) Hanna's father falling for Hanna's mother based upon a laugh.
(d) Hanna's father falling for Hanna's mother based upon hair color.
15. Where does the mother go after leaving the convent?
(a) The local midwife.
(b) Her own home.
(c) Her parent's home.
(d) She wanders the streets.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the midwife seem before she returns home with her daughter?
2. What is Klara watching when she remembers the end of the war?
3. What reassurance does the mother receive?
4. What does Siegfried begin doing in the evenings?
5. How does Siegfried die?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)