|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the mother go after leaving the convent?
(a) The local midwife.
(b) Her parent's home.
(c) Her own home.
(d) She wanders the streets.
2. Upon what does Hanna's father insist?
(a) His wife be able to hold the baby for as long as she wants.
(b) The bully that was bothering Hanna be controlled.
(c) That his new home be repainted.
(d) That his wife be treated at home rather than in an asylum.
3. What does Hanna encourage Matthias to do?
(a) Get some tutoring in math.
(b) Go back to his training.
(c) Take Hanna's aunt to dinner.
(d) No invite the violent man over anymore.
4. When does Hanna's mother like to swim?
(a) When no one else is around.
(b) When there is a thunderstorm.
(c) When the water is very chilly.
(d) When the water is warm.
5. Why does Oma ask to go to the hospital?
(a) She wants to visit her best friend who is ill.
(b) She thinks she has pneumonia.
(c) She wants to visit her sister who is ill.
(d) She feels the same symptoms in her other leg that she did in the missing one.
6. When do Hanna and her mother go off to swim?
(a) When Hanna gets a holiday from school.
(b) Always on Sundays.
(c) Whenever the clouds roll in.
(d) Before daylight on Saturdays.
7. How is it said that Trudi's mother went insane?
(a) From guilt of dropping Trudi.
(b) Her husband hit her in the head too often.
(c) From seeing her young son drown.
(d) Her grandmother passed insanity on to Trudi's mother.
8. Who does Hanna befriend?
(a) A new boy at school.
(b) A new man in her apartment building.
(c) A new girl at school.
(d) Her cousin's good friend.
9. What favor did the visitor ask?
(a) For Hanna's mother to judge an art show.
(b) For Hanna's mother to give the students a lecture on watercolor techniques.
(c) For Hanna's mother to show her paintings in a church fair.
(d) For Hanna's mother to start attending church.
10. Who taught school in a nearby town according to Trudi?
(a) Trudi's aunt.
(b) Trudi's father's lover.
(c) Trudi's mother.
(d) The woman Hanna's father almost married.
11. What does Hanna learn from Trudi?
(a) That Hanna's mother is not actually who she thinks she is.
(b) That Hanna's father was previously engaged before marrying Hanna's mother.
(c) That Trudi's mother lives in the United States.
(d) That Trudi's father is going to retire.
12. What is said Trudi's mother did to Trudi as a child?
(a) Left her in a dark room all the time.
(b) Tried to make her learn to read too soon.
(c) Starved her.
(d) Dropped her on her head.
13. What do the doctors at the hospital attempt to do?
(a) Treat Oma's sister with a new drug.
(b) Give Oma some lung treatments.
(c) Treat Oma's blood clot in her other leg.
(d) Convince Oma's friend to go home.
14. How does Hanna's father meet Hanna's mother?
(a) She came to have her teeth worked on.
(b) She was once Hanna's teacher.
(c) She shares a train compartment with him on a trip.
(d) Her best friend's brother is a good friend of Hanna's father.
15. What does Klara vow to do?
(a) Give her son up for adoption.
(b) Go to Scotland and find the father of her baby.
(c) Let her sister and husband raise her son since they have no children.
(d) Destroy her son's father's picture.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Hanna say died as an infant?
2. Who came to ask a favor of Hanna's mother?
3. Who is Klara Blocker?
4. What does the mother ask about the baby?
5. Who is Matthias?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)