|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the mother intend to help with her giving birth?
(a) A midwife.
(b) No one.
(d) Her sister.
2. Who is Trudi's father?
(a) The mayor.
(b) The constable.
(c) The local pay librarian.
(d) The doctor.
3. What does Hanna's father continually remind Hanna's mother not to do?
(a) Crunch ice with her teeth.
(b) Talk to the beggers on the corners.
(c) Gallop her horse so fast.
(d) Be reckless.
4. What favor did the visitor ask?
(a) For Hanna's mother to give the students a lecture on watercolor techniques.
(b) For Hanna's mother to judge an art show.
(c) For Hanna's mother to start attending church.
(d) For Hanna's mother to show her paintings in a church fair.
5. Upon what does Hanna's father insist?
(a) That his new home be repainted.
(b) His wife be able to hold the baby for as long as she wants.
(c) That his wife be treated at home rather than in an asylum.
(d) The bully that was bothering Hanna be controlled.
6. What happens when the mother goes into labor?
(a) She is relieved that the baby is alive.
(b) She is sad that her pregnancy is about to be over.
(c) She goes to the convent.
(d) She panics and sends her husband for the midwife too soon.
7. How does Hanna's father meet Hanna's mother?
(a) Her best friend's brother is a good friend of Hanna's father.
(b) She came to have her teeth worked on.
(c) She shares a train compartment with him on a trip.
(d) She was once Hanna's teacher.
8. Why does Hanna take holy water to Renate?
(a) To try to heal Renate's leg.
(b) To try to heal herself.
(c) To bless the midwife's home.
(d) To see if Renate will drink it.
9. What does Siegfried dream one day?
(a) He is killed in a meadow.
(b) He is imprisoned by some brigands.
(c) He is flying alongside an airplane.
(d) He is hung for a crime he did not commit.
10. Who taught Hanna how to swim?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her older brother.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her uncle.
11. Where does the baby die?
(a) In the hospital in an incubator.
(b) In his mother's arms.
(c) On the street where it had crawled.
(d) In the bathtub.
12. Why does Matthias not pursue the course of training he had started?
(a) He discovered he like dentistry better.
(b) It did not suit him.
(c) He realized he did not have the mathematical aptitude.
(d) He became ill.
13. Who is Renate?
(a) Hanna's sister.
(b) The midwife's daughter.
(c) Hanna's cousin.
(d) The midwife.
14. When do Hanna and her mother go off to swim?
(a) Whenever the clouds roll in.
(b) Always on Sundays.
(c) Before daylight on Saturdays.
(d) When Hanna gets a holiday from school.
15. What reassurance does the mother receive?
(a) The midwife will return from the midwife's daughter's home soon.
(b) The baby is resting for the birth.
(c) The doctor will come to her home when she is ready to give birth.
(d) Her husband will return that day.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is it said that Trudi's mother went insane?
2. What does Hanna's father do with Oma?
3. What is Siegfried Tegern's occupation?
4. What does Hanna think her mother and father do for each other?
5. How is Trudi treated in her childhood?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)