|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did people react to Hanna's mother's paintings?
(a) They were critical.
(b) They were confused.
(c) They were awed.
(d) They were repulsed.
2. Who had Klara and her mother befriended near the end of the war?
(a) A British soldier.
(b) An American soldier.
(c) A blinded German soldier.
(d) An Australian soldier.
3. Who does Hanna befriend?
(a) Her cousin's good friend.
(b) A new girl at school.
(c) A new boy at school.
(d) A new man in her apartment building.
4. Who does Trudi meet at the river one day?
(a) A man.
(b) An elderly woman.
(c) A young girl.
(d) A young boy.
5. How does Siegfried die?
(a) He stumbles while drunk and falls over the banister and is hung.
(b) An airplane crash.
(c) His dogs kill him.
(d) He is killed by a punk wanting money.
6. What rumor is there about Hanna's girl friend?
(a) The young girl is gravely ill.
(b) She is not actually the daughter of who claims her.
(c) The girl is actually the product of an Australian solider and the midwife's best friend.
(d) The girl is a genius.
7. What illness does Renate suffer as a child?
(a) Scarlett fever.
8. What does Hanna's father continually remind Hanna's mother not to do?
(a) Be reckless.
(b) Talk to the beggers on the corners.
(c) Crunch ice with her teeth.
(d) Gallop her horse so fast.
9. Where does the mother go after leaving the convent?
(a) Her parent's home.
(b) She wanders the streets.
(c) The local midwife.
(d) Her own home.
10. Who is Hanna's girlfriend?
(a) An orphan who attends Hanna's school.
(b) An American girl whose father is working as an architect in Hanna's town.
(c) The daughter of the local midwife.
(d) The mayor's daughter.
11. Where does Trudi's mother die?
(a) In the lake where she threw herself.
(b) In a distant hospital.
(c) In the local nursing home.
(d) At home locked up in the attic.
12. How does Hanna's mother decide to help Oma?
(a) By helping caring for Oma's sister.
(b) By hiring a housekeeper.
(c) By taking Oma and her sister books from the library.
(d) By taking her to a faith healer.
13. What is the outcome of Oma's illness?
(a) She dies.
(b) She becomes extremely depressed and kills herself.
(c) She never recovers bu does not die for several years.
(d) She recovers.
14. What does Trudi say is reckless?
(a) Hanna's father falling for Hanna's mother based upon hair color.
(b) Hanna's father falling for Hanna's mother based upon eye color.
(c) Hanna's father falling for Hanna's mother based upon a painting.
(d) Hanna's father falling for Hanna's mother based upon a laugh.
15. Why doesn't Trudi do what she almost started to do at the river?
(a) She doesn't want to put the worm on the hook.
(b) Her father arrives and stops her.
(c) Her neighbor stops her.
(d) The water is too cold.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Hanna say died as an infant?
2. What do people in the town think of Hanna's mother?
3. What one opportunity is destroyed by Trudi's father?
4. For what is Siegfried searching?
5. What caused Hanna's father to fall in love with Hanna's mother?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)