|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did people react to Hanna's mother's paintings?
(a) They were confused.
(b) They were repulsed.
(c) They were critical.
(d) They were awed.
2. Who is Hanna's girlfriend?
(a) An orphan who attends Hanna's school.
(b) The daughter of the local midwife.
(c) An American girl whose father is working as an architect in Hanna's town.
(d) The mayor's daughter.
3. What is said is the result of what Trudi's mother did?
(a) Trudi is almost blind.
(b) Trudi is a drawf.
(c) Trudi is now too fat.
(d) Trudi is smarter than all the other children.
4. What happens several weeks later after Matthias stops doing what Hanna noticed?
(a) He takes her to get ice cream.
(b) He sits on the stoop again.
(c) He has a new man visiting.
(d) He gets a new job.
5. Where does this new friend of Hanna's live next to?
(a) Next door to Hanna's cousin.
(b) Hanna's mother's art studio.
(c) Across the street from the school.
(d) Next to the train station.
6. What does Hanna's father do with Oma?
(a) Take her to stay with Oma's sister to care for the sister.
(b) Take her to a specialist.
(c) Take her home to die.
(d) Take her to her favorite beach.
7. What is Trudi almost tempted to do at the river?
(a) Go out in a boat.
(b) Go fishing.
(c) Go swimming in her dress.
(d) Go skinny dipping with the person she meets.
8. What does Hanna's mother refuse to do?
(a) Attend church.
(b) Let Hanna attend school.
(c) Let go of the baby after he had died.
(d) Start painting again.
9. What caused Hanna's father to fall in love with Hanna's mother?
(a) He saw one of her paintings.
(b) Her lilting laugh.
(c) Her unusual grey eyes.
(d) Her unusual almost gold hair.
10. Where does Hanna's mother go swimming?
(a) The lake.
(b) The river or old stone quarry.
(c) The ocean.
(d) A friend's pool.
11. What does Trudi say about Hanna's father?
(a) That he is often seen at the home of a young secretary.
(b) That he is often seen at the home of a wealthy widow.
(c) That he almost married a woman who was closer to his age.
(d) That he is not native to Italy.
12. Why does Matthias not pursue the course of training he had started?
(a) He discovered he like dentistry better.
(b) He became ill.
(c) He realized he did not have the mathematical aptitude.
(d) It did not suit him.
13. What reassurance does the mother receive?
(a) The doctor will come to her home when she is ready to give birth.
(b) The baby is resting for the birth.
(c) Her husband will return that day.
(d) The midwife will return from the midwife's daughter's home soon.
14. Why does Oma ask to go to the hospital?
(a) She wants to visit her best friend who is ill.
(b) She thinks she has pneumonia.
(c) She wants to visit her sister who is ill.
(d) She feels the same symptoms in her other leg that she did in the missing one.
15. What does Siegfried do as a result of the dream?
(a) Hires a lawyer.
(b) Buys a gun.
(c) Decides not to take an upcoming trip to the United States on an airplane.
(d) Buys a dog.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the baby die?
2. Who taught school in a nearby town according to Trudi?
3. What one opportunity is destroyed by Trudi's father?
4. What is different about this dream than his usual ones?
5. Where does the narrator's mother go?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)