|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom does Klara live?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her sister.
(c) Her husband.
(d) She lives alone.
2. What does Siegfried do as a result of the dream?
(a) Buys a dog.
(b) Decides not to take an upcoming trip to the United States on an airplane.
(c) Buys a gun.
(d) Hires a lawyer.
3. How does Hanna's father meet Hanna's mother?
(a) Her best friend's brother is a good friend of Hanna's father.
(b) She came to have her teeth worked on.
(c) She was once Hanna's teacher.
(d) She shares a train compartment with him on a trip.
4. What is said Trudi's mother did to Trudi as a child?
(a) Tried to make her learn to read too soon.
(b) Starved her.
(c) Dropped her on her head.
(d) Left her in a dark room all the time.
5. When do Hanna and her mother go off to swim?
(a) Whenever the clouds roll in.
(b) When Hanna gets a holiday from school.
(c) Before daylight on Saturdays.
(d) Always on Sundays.
6. What does Hanna encourage Matthias to do?
(a) No invite the violent man over anymore.
(b) Go back to his training.
(c) Take Hanna's aunt to dinner.
(d) Get some tutoring in math.
7. What does Klara vow to do?
(a) Let her sister and husband raise her son since they have no children.
(b) Go to Scotland and find the father of her baby.
(c) Give her son up for adoption.
(d) Destroy her son's father's picture.
8. What does the mother trust over the next three days?
(a) The doctor's assurances.
(b) The fact that the midwife will return in time.
(c) Her husband.
(d) The nuns.
9. What was Matthias once training to be?
(a) An architect.
(b) An engineer.
(c) A priest.
(d) A doctor.
10. What caused Hanna's father to fall in love with Hanna's mother?
(a) He saw one of her paintings.
(b) Her unusual grey eyes.
(c) Her unusual almost gold hair.
(d) Her lilting laugh.
11. Who does Hanna befriend?
(a) A new boy at school.
(b) A new man in her apartment building.
(c) A new girl at school.
(d) Her cousin's good friend.
12. Where does Trudi's mother die?
(a) At home locked up in the attic.
(b) In the local nursing home.
(c) In a distant hospital.
(d) In the lake where she threw herself.
13. In what apartment does Klara live?
(a) She lives in a house, not an apartment.
(b) An apartment that is constructed just as the war is ending.
(c) The same one she lived in during the war.
(d) A brand new high rise.
14. Who does the mother intend to help with her giving birth?
(a) Her sister.
(b) A midwife.
(d) No one.
15. What do the doctors ask Hanna's father?
(a) To make sure his wife does not harm their new son.
(b) To commit Hanna's mother to the hospital for therapy.
(c) To make Hanna go to school.
(d) To take the baby from his wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens several weeks later after Matthias stops doing what Hanna noticed?
2. What is a characteristic of Hanna's father?
3. What does Trudi say about Hanna's father?
4. What does Hanna think her mother and father do for each other?
5. What is Klara watching when she remembers the end of the war?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)