|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hanna often do with a flower she steals here and there?
(a) Decorates her room.
(b) Places them on her brother's grave.
(c) Gives them to her teacher.
(d) Gives them to her mother.
2. What is the outcome of Oma's illness?
(a) She becomes extremely depressed and kills herself.
(b) She dies.
(c) She never recovers bu does not die for several years.
(d) She recovers.
3. What is said is the result of what Trudi's mother did?
(a) Trudi is a drawf.
(b) Trudi is almost blind.
(c) Trudi is smarter than all the other children.
(d) Trudi is now too fat.
4. How is Oma helped?
(a) By special teas.
(b) By massage and working the darkness and pain out of Oma's body.
(c) By special herbs and vitamin supplements.
(d) Her other leg is amputated.
5. What does the narrator's mother realize?
(a) She is about to go into labor.
(b) Her husband is not going to return home in time for the delivery.
(c) She is not sure she wants to keep the baby.
(d) She cannot feel the baby moving.
6. What does the mother learn about the baby?
(a) It has died.
(b) It is a boy.
(c) It is a breech.
(d) It is healthy.
7. What does Hanna learn from Trudi?
(a) That Trudi's father is going to retire.
(b) That Trudi's mother lives in the United States.
(c) That Hanna's father was previously engaged before marrying Hanna's mother.
(d) That Hanna's mother is not actually who she thinks she is.
8. With whom does Klara become lovers near the end of the war?
(a) An American soldier.
(b) A British soldier.
(c) An Australian soldier.
(d) A Scottish officer.
9. How does Hanna's father meet Hanna's mother?
(a) She was once Hanna's teacher.
(b) Her best friend's brother is a good friend of Hanna's father.
(c) She came to have her teeth worked on.
(d) She shares a train compartment with him on a trip.
10. With whom does Klara live?
(a) Her sister.
(b) Her husband.
(c) Her mother.
(d) She lives alone.
11. What happens to the solider?
(a) He is supposedly reassigned.
(b) He is refused permssion to marry Klara.
(c) He marries Klara but is then killed.
(d) He is killed when Klara is three months pregant.
12. Why does the mother become enraged?
(a) The nuns refuse to help her once they know the baby is dead.
(b) Her baby had remained in utero too long and the nuns did nothing.
(c) The nuns say it is God's will.
(d) Her husband says the death is for the best.
13. What is a characteristic of Hanna's father?
14. What does Trudi say about Hanna's father?
(a) That he almost married a woman who was closer to his age.
(b) That he is not native to Italy.
(c) That he is often seen at the home of a wealthy widow.
(d) That he is often seen at the home of a young secretary.
15. What does Hanna notice about Matthias after a particular man visits him?
(a) Matthias is despondent.
(b) Matthias has bruises.
(c) Matthias won't speak to her for awhile.
(d) Matthias calls in sick to work.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Trudi almost tempted to do at the river?
2. Who is Klara Blocker?
3. What does Trudi become?
4. Where does the baby die?
5. What is Klara watching when she remembers the end of the war?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)