|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Matthias?
(a) The man Hanna befriends.
(b) Trudi's uncle.
(c) The priest where Trudi goes to church.
(d) Hanna's father's dentist partner.
2. Who is Klara Blocker?
(a) Hanna's best friend.
(b) Hanna's father's sister.
(c) The neighbor and Hanna's mother's best friend.
(d) The maid to Hanna's family.
3. About what does Siegfried start feeling better?
(a) The tenuous nature of life.
(b) His last job which is almost complete.
(c) The prospect of marriage.
(d) His dream.
4. What is a characteristic of Hanna's father?
5. Why does Oma ask to go to the hospital?
(a) She feels the same symptoms in her other leg that she did in the missing one.
(b) She wants to visit her best friend who is ill.
(c) She thinks she has pneumonia.
(d) She wants to visit her sister who is ill.
6. What is different about this dream than his usual ones?
(a) He is able to change it consciously while still sleeping.
(b) He is not in the dream; just a narrator.
(c) It has no dream quality to it.
(d) It is vivid and recurs.
7. What does Hanna's mother not show people for a long time?
(a) Her paintings.
(b) Photos of her past.
(c) Her home.
(d) Her emotions.
8. What rumor is there about Hanna's girl friend?
(a) The girl is actually the product of an Australian solider and the midwife's best friend.
(b) She is not actually the daughter of who claims her.
(c) The young girl is gravely ill.
(d) The girl is a genius.
9. Where does the mother go after leaving the convent?
(a) Her own home.
(b) Her parent's home.
(c) The local midwife.
(d) She wanders the streets.
10. What does Siegfried begin doing in the evenings?
(a) Getting drunk.
(b) Courting a woman down the street.
(c) Walking his dogs.
(d) Researching dreams in the library.
11. What does Hanna notice Matthias stops doing?
(a) Giving her candy.
(b) Sitting on the front stoop and talking to her.
(c) Inviting the man over.
(d) Going to work.
12. How does the midwife seem before she returns home with her daughter?
(b) Not pregnant.
13. What one opportunity is destroyed by Trudi's father?
(a) To travel to Pais.
(b) For love.
(c) To go to boarding school.
(d) To become an actress.
14. What does Hanna's paternal grandmother have only one leg?
(a) She lost the other one to a blood clot.
(b) She was in a car accident.
(c) She was born with only one leg and one hand.
(d) She was born with a shriveled leg they had to eventually amputate.
15. What is Klara watching when she remembers the end of the war?
(a) Her children playing in the yard.
(b) Her mother knitting.
(c) A movie on television.
(d) The potato delivery.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Trudi say is reckless?
2. With whom does Klara live?
3. In what does Trudi engage regularly?
4. What does Hanna notice about Matthias after a particular man visits him?
5. Why doesn't Trudi do what she almost started to do at the river?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)