|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hanna's paternal grandmother often get around in the house?
(a) Holding on to a chair she drags across the floor.
(b) An electric scooter.
(c) A wheelchair donate to her by a medical charity group.
(d) A chair to which her husband attached wheels.
2. What does Hanna's mother not show people for a long time?
(a) Photos of her past.
(b) Her home.
(c) Her emotions.
(d) Her paintings.
3. Who is Matthias?
(a) Hanna's father's dentist partner.
(b) Trudi's uncle.
(c) The man Hanna befriends.
(d) The priest where Trudi goes to church.
4. What does Trudi become?
(a) A beloved teacher.
(b) A bitter, abused wife.
(c) A party goer.
(d) An old maid and librarian.
5. What does the mother trust over the next three days?
(a) The nuns.
(b) The doctor's assurances.
(c) Her husband.
(d) The fact that the midwife will return in time.
6. What does Hanna notice about Matthias after a particular man visits him?
(a) Matthias has bruises.
(b) Matthias calls in sick to work.
(c) Matthias is despondent.
(d) Matthias won't speak to her for awhile.
7. Why does Hanna take holy water to Renate?
(a) To try to heal Renate's leg.
(b) To see if Renate will drink it.
(c) To bless the midwife's home.
(d) To try to heal herself.
8. What is a characteristic of Hanna's father?
9. Why doesn't Trudi do what she almost started to do at the river?
(a) Her father arrives and stops her.
(b) She doesn't want to put the worm on the hook.
(c) Her neighbor stops her.
(d) The water is too cold.
10. Who taught Hanna how to swim?
(a) Her uncle.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her older brother.
11. What does Klara tell her lover one day?
(a) She is pregnant.
(b) Her husband is coming home.
(c) She wants to go with him to Australia.
(d) She is engaged to an old family friend.
12. Where does Siegfried die?
(a) In the city park.
(b) On his way to the United States.
(c) In the meadow he had found.
(d) In the upper floor of the library.
13. How long did Hanna's mother hear about her paintings from people?
(a) Every time she displays them, there is gossip for a while.
(b) They were still talking about them when Hanna was a middle-aged woman.
(c) They never talked about them.
(d) They eventually stopped talking about them.
14. How is Trudi's father towards her?
(b) He lets her do whatever she wants.
(c) He seldom sees her and has a nanny care for her.
15. Who does Hanna say died as an infant?
(a) Her cousin.
(b) Her little brother.
(c) The neighbor next door's granddaugher.
(d) Her teacher's baby.
Short Answer Questions
1. Upon what does Hanna's father insist?
2. When does Hanna's mother like to swim?
3. Where does the narrator's mother go?
4. What illness does Renate suffer as a child?
5. About what does Siegfried start feeling better?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)