|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the midwife seem before she returns home with her daughter?
(c) Not pregnant.
2. What does Hanna's father do with Oma?
(a) Take her to her favorite beach.
(b) Take her to a specialist.
(c) Take her to stay with Oma's sister to care for the sister.
(d) Take her home to die.
3. What do the doctors at the hospital attempt to do?
(a) Treat Oma's blood clot in her other leg.
(b) Give Oma some lung treatments.
(c) Treat Oma's sister with a new drug.
(d) Convince Oma's friend to go home.
4. Who does Trudi meet at the river one day?
(a) A man.
(b) A young girl.
(c) A young boy.
(d) An elderly woman.
5. What is Trudi almost tempted to do at the river?
(a) Go swimming in her dress.
(b) Go skinny dipping with the person she meets.
(c) Go out in a boat.
(d) Go fishing.
6. In what does Trudi engage regularly?
(b) Writing funny stories.
(d) Brisk walking.
7. What caused Hanna's father to fall in love with Hanna's mother?
(a) Her lilting laugh.
(b) He saw one of her paintings.
(c) Her unusual grey eyes.
(d) Her unusual almost gold hair.
8. Why does Oma ask to go to the hospital?
(a) She feels the same symptoms in her other leg that she did in the missing one.
(b) She thinks she has pneumonia.
(c) She wants to visit her best friend who is ill.
(d) She wants to visit her sister who is ill.
9. What does Hanna's mother not show people for a long time?
(a) Her home.
(b) Her emotions.
(c) Her paintings.
(d) Photos of her past.
10. What happens several weeks later after Matthias stops doing what Hanna noticed?
(a) He takes her to get ice cream.
(b) He sits on the stoop again.
(c) He gets a new job.
(d) He has a new man visiting.
11. What month of pregnancy is the narrator's mother entering?
12. What does Hanna's paternal grandmother have only one leg?
(a) She was born with a shriveled leg they had to eventually amputate.
(b) She was born with only one leg and one hand.
(c) She lost the other one to a blood clot.
(d) She was in a car accident.
13. What one opportunity is destroyed by Trudi's father?
(a) To become an actress.
(b) For love.
(c) To travel to Pais.
(d) To go to boarding school.
14. What happens when the mother goes into labor?
(a) She is sad that her pregnancy is about to be over.
(b) She panics and sends her husband for the midwife too soon.
(c) She goes to the convent.
(d) She is relieved that the baby is alive.
15. What does Hanna notice about Matthias after a particular man visits him?
(a) Matthias is despondent.
(b) Matthias calls in sick to work.
(c) Matthias has bruises.
(d) Matthias won't speak to her for awhile.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Siegfried do as a result of the dream?
2. With whom does Klara live?
3. Who is Matthias?
4. How is it said that Trudi's mother went insane?
5. What does Siegfried dream one day?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)