|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a characteristic of Hanna's father?
2. Who taught school in a nearby town according to Trudi?
(a) Trudi's father's lover.
(b) The woman Hanna's father almost married.
(c) Trudi's aunt.
(d) Trudi's mother.
3. What is Siegfried Tegern's occupation?
4. What is the outcome of Oma's illness?
(a) She never recovers bu does not die for several years.
(b) She dies.
(c) She recovers.
(d) She becomes extremely depressed and kills herself.
5. Where does the mother go after leaving the convent?
(a) She wanders the streets.
(b) The local midwife.
(c) Her own home.
(d) Her parent's home.
6. What does Hanna encourage Matthias to do?
(a) Get some tutoring in math.
(b) Take Hanna's aunt to dinner.
(c) Go back to his training.
(d) No invite the violent man over anymore.
7. Upon what does Hanna's father insist?
(a) That his wife be treated at home rather than in an asylum.
(b) His wife be able to hold the baby for as long as she wants.
(c) The bully that was bothering Hanna be controlled.
(d) That his new home be repainted.
8. In what apartment does Klara live?
(a) An apartment that is constructed just as the war is ending.
(b) She lives in a house, not an apartment.
(c) The same one she lived in during the war.
(d) A brand new high rise.
9. How long did Hanna's mother hear about her paintings from people?
(a) They eventually stopped talking about them.
(b) They never talked about them.
(c) They were still talking about them when Hanna was a middle-aged woman.
(d) Every time she displays them, there is gossip for a while.
10. For what is Siegfried searching?
(a) A wife.
(b) The meadow where he is killed in the dream.
(c) Peace from his fears.
(d) If dreams can be prophetic.
11. Who came to ask a favor of Hanna's mother?
(a) The art teacher at Hanna's school.
(b) The mayor.
(c) The local pastor.
(d) The local pastor's sister.
12. Who is Renate?
(a) Hanna's sister.
(b) The midwife's daughter.
(c) The midwife.
(d) Hanna's cousin.
13. What does Hanna think her mother and father do for each other?
(a) Keep each other from becoming bored.
(b) Show each other different ways of seeing.
(c) Hanna has no idea.
(d) Balance each other.
14. How does the action Siegfried take because of his dream get out of hand?
(a) He cancels all his future trips.
(b) He pays the lawyer a monthly retainer fee just to keep the lawyer.
(c) He ends up with seven pistols and one rifle.
(d) He ends up with seven dogs.
15. What does Siegfried dream one day?
(a) He is flying alongside an airplane.
(b) He is killed in a meadow.
(c) He is hung for a crime he did not commit.
(d) He is imprisoned by some brigands.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Matthias once training to be?
2. Who does Hanna say died as an infant?
3. What does Hanna's father do with Oma?
4. Who had Klara and her mother befriended near the end of the war?
5. Where does Hanna's mother go swimming?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)