|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Siegfried dream one day?
(a) He is hung for a crime he did not commit.
(b) He is imprisoned by some brigands.
(c) He is killed in a meadow.
(d) He is flying alongside an airplane.
2. What does Hanna encourage Matthias to do?
(a) Get some tutoring in math.
(b) No invite the violent man over anymore.
(c) Take Hanna's aunt to dinner.
(d) Go back to his training.
3. What does the mother trust over the next three days?
(a) The doctor's assurances.
(b) The nuns.
(c) The fact that the midwife will return in time.
(d) Her husband.
4. What is different about this dream than his usual ones?
(a) It is vivid and recurs.
(b) He is not in the dream; just a narrator.
(c) He is able to change it consciously while still sleeping.
(d) It has no dream quality to it.
5. About what does Siegfried start feeling better?
(a) His last job which is almost complete.
(b) His dream.
(c) The prospect of marriage.
(d) The tenuous nature of life.
6. Who does Trudi meet at the river one day?
(a) A young boy.
(b) An elderly woman.
(c) A young girl.
(d) A man.
7. What is Trudi almost tempted to do at the river?
(a) Go fishing.
(b) Go out in a boat.
(c) Go skinny dipping with the person she meets.
(d) Go swimming in her dress.
8. When does Hanna's mother like to swim?
(a) When no one else is around.
(b) When there is a thunderstorm.
(c) When the water is very chilly.
(d) When the water is warm.
9. How does Hanna's father meet Hanna's mother?
(a) She shares a train compartment with him on a trip.
(b) She came to have her teeth worked on.
(c) Her best friend's brother is a good friend of Hanna's father.
(d) She was once Hanna's teacher.
10. Who is Klara Blocker?
(a) Hanna's best friend.
(b) The neighbor and Hanna's mother's best friend.
(c) Hanna's father's sister.
(d) The maid to Hanna's family.
11. What does Hanna's mother refuse to do?
(a) Let go of the baby after he had died.
(b) Let Hanna attend school.
(c) Attend church.
(d) Start painting again.
12. Who does Hanna say died as an infant?
(a) The neighbor next door's granddaugher.
(b) Her teacher's baby.
(c) Her little brother.
(d) Her cousin.
13. Who came to ask a favor of Hanna's mother?
(a) The mayor.
(b) The local pastor's sister.
(c) The local pastor.
(d) The art teacher at Hanna's school.
14. What does Hanna think her mother and father do for each other?
(a) Show each other different ways of seeing.
(b) Keep each other from becoming bored.
(c) Hanna has no idea.
(d) Balance each other.
15. Why doesn't Trudi do what she almost started to do at the river?
(a) Her father arrives and stops her.
(b) Her neighbor stops her.
(c) The water is too cold.
(d) She doesn't want to put the worm on the hook.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Klara become lovers near the end of the war?
2. Upon what does Hanna's father insist?
3. How does Siegfried die?
4. Who is Renate?
5. What do the doctors ask Hanna's father?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)