|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What favor did the visitor ask?
(a) For Hanna's mother to judge an art show.
(b) For Hanna's mother to show her paintings in a church fair.
(c) For Hanna's mother to start attending church.
(d) For Hanna's mother to give the students a lecture on watercolor techniques.
2. How is Trudi's father towards her?
(c) He lets her do whatever she wants.
(d) He seldom sees her and has a nanny care for her.
3. What does Siegfried begin doing in the evenings?
(a) Walking his dogs.
(b) Researching dreams in the library.
(c) Getting drunk.
(d) Courting a woman down the street.
4. What does Hanna's paternal grandmother have only one leg?
(a) She lost the other one to a blood clot.
(b) She was in a car accident.
(c) She was born with a shriveled leg they had to eventually amputate.
(d) She was born with only one leg and one hand.
5. In what does Trudi engage regularly?
(a) Writing funny stories.
(b) Brisk walking.
6. What does Klara vow to do?
(a) Give her son up for adoption.
(b) Destroy her son's father's picture.
(c) Go to Scotland and find the father of her baby.
(d) Let her sister and husband raise her son since they have no children.
7. What does Hanna's father continually remind Hanna's mother not to do?
(a) Crunch ice with her teeth.
(b) Talk to the beggers on the corners.
(c) Be reckless.
(d) Gallop her horse so fast.
8. How is it said that Trudi's mother went insane?
(a) From seeing her young son drown.
(b) From guilt of dropping Trudi.
(c) Her husband hit her in the head too often.
(d) Her grandmother passed insanity on to Trudi's mother.
9. Why doesn't Trudi do what she almost started to do at the river?
(a) Her neighbor stops her.
(b) Her father arrives and stops her.
(c) She doesn't want to put the worm on the hook.
(d) The water is too cold.
10. Where does Siegfried live?
(a) Near the center of town over the library.
(b) Near the grain mill.
(c) Near the river.
(d) Up on a mountain.
11. Where does the narrator's mother go?
(a) A convent.
(b) A drugstore.
(c) A free clinic.
(d) A hospital.
12. With whom does Klara live?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her sister.
(c) Her husband.
(d) She lives alone.
13. What was Matthias once training to be?
(a) A doctor.
(b) An engineer.
(c) A priest.
(d) An architect.
14. How does Hanna's father meet Hanna's mother?
(a) She came to have her teeth worked on.
(b) She shares a train compartment with him on a trip.
(c) Her best friend's brother is a good friend of Hanna's father.
(d) She was once Hanna's teacher.
15. In what apartment does Klara live?
(a) She lives in a house, not an apartment.
(b) The same one she lived in during the war.
(c) A brand new high rise.
(d) An apartment that is constructed just as the war is ending.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is said is the result of what Trudi's mother did?
2. What do the doctors ask Hanna's father?
3. What happens when the mother goes into labor?
4. What is Siegfried Tegern's occupation?
5. What does the mother learn about the baby?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)