|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bryce decide to do to make up for hurting Juli's feelings?
2. When does Bryce plan to ditch Juli forever?
3. Upon whom does Lynetta have a major crush?
4. In what grade does Juli begin to raise chickens?
5. Why is Juli embarrassed when she climbs down from the tree?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bryce hurt Juli's feelings terribly?
2. About what do Grandpa and Bryce talk concerning Juli?
3. What does Juli's father do for a living and for a hobby?
4. What does Grandpa reveal about the Baker's financial situation?
5. What happens the day Bryce starts second grade?
6. Where do the kids wait for the bus and what does Juli do one day for Bryce while waiting for the bus?
7. What does Bryce's grandfather point out about Juli in the newspaper?
8. About what is Bryce right concerning Juli?
9. Why does Juli stay up in the tree one day instead of getting on the bus?
10. What happens when Juli sees Bryce with Shelly Stalls?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Over the course of Flipped, Byrce grows as a person in both complexity and understanding. Flipped might be considered a slice of Bryce's larger story of his "coming of age." It might be said that Flipped is a "bildungsroman" of Bryce Loski. Discuss the following:
1. Define Bildungsroman, or "Coming of Age," and give several examples from literature you have read.
2. Trace and analyze the character of Bryce as he changes from a more carefree, innocent boy to a wiser, young man. What are the significant events that change Bryce?
3. After thoroughly analyzing Bryce's growth throughout Flipped, do you think Flipped could be considered Bryce's Coming of Age story? Why or why not?
4. Are there any other characters in Flipped who go through a Coming of Age experience? Who? Why do you think so?
Essay Topic 2
A minor subplot in the book concerns the character of David, who is Juli's uncle and is in an institution for people who cannot function independently. Discuss the following:
1. Discuss David's characteristics and why he is in an institution.
2. Do you think David's younger brother is morally responsible for assuming the financial burden for David even when it impacts his own family?
3. How much can you deduce about the character of Robert by how he handles his older brother's situation and interacts with David? Give examples.
4. Bryce wonders to himself if his father Rick would have handled Bryce the same way as Robert handles David if Bryce had been injured to that degree at birth. What do you think? Why? Give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Juli and Bryce. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Bryce's father and Juli's father. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in Flipped help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
This section contains 1,094 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)