|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Upon what does Juli Baker insist?
2. What are they feeding the animal?
3. How old is Bryce Loski when he moves into a new neighborhood?
4. What grade are Bryce and Juli in when Juli rescues Bryce again?
5. What happens at the first time Bryce walks into the classroom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do the kids wait for the bus and what does Juli do one day for Bryce while waiting for the bus?
2. Why does Juli take her chicken eggs to school and what does she do with them after they hatch?
3. What bothers Bryce one day when he goes to the Baker's to get his sister?
4. What does Juli continue to do throughout grade school and how does she excuse Bryce's indifference?
5. How does Juli end up selling eggs, and why does she give eggs to Mrs. Loski?
6. When and why does Juli get involved raising chickens?
7. How does Juli again rescue Bryce in the sixth grade?
8. How does Bryce end up in the principal's office?
9. What does Juli do just when Bryce's mother opens the front door and what is Bryce's response?
10. What does Bryce's grandfather point out about Juli in the newspaper?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Juli and Bryce. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Bryce's father and Juli's father. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in Flipped help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss Flipped based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if Flipped is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider Flipped a successful novel? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 3
Flipped belongs to the teen novel genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the teen novel genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a teen novel and a historical novel mystery?
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)