Bryce's father (in the situation with the eggs) is trying to get Bryce to be direct but he's taking the wrong approach by ridiculing him. Rick is advising his son to communicate but he has very poor communication skills himself. Discuss the following:
1. What is irony?
2. How do you think the situation of Bryce's father in this instance is ironic?
3. Discuss several other ironic situations in Flipped. Give examples to illustrate your ideas.
4. Why do you think irony is often included in a work of fiction?
5. People often confuse irony with sarcasm. What do you think is the difference between irony and sarcasm? Which is more sophisticated?
A minor subplot in the book concerns the character of David, who is Juli's uncle and is in an institution for people who cannot function independently. Discuss the following:
1. Discuss David's characteristics and why he is in an institution.
2. Do you...
This section contains 2,195 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)