|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator claims that when a beached whale is saved and is sent to a particular country, its fate is what?
2. What kind of ruler buys Ruysch's collection of biological specimens?
3. Annushka begins taking what form of transport ceaselessly throughout each day?
4. The vignette entitled "30,000 Guilders" takes place in what century?
5. The narrator says that the airport in which city is shaped like a spine?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does the unnamed narrator show an affinity for secrecy?
2. How does the theme of obsession arise within the story about Verheyen?
3. What does the smoke created by the Maori symbolize?
4. Discuss how the motif of dreams appears within the unnamed narrator's vignettes.
5. What country does the unnamed narrator say is the perfect place for observing people and why?
6. What object does Tokarczuk use in a metaphor characterizing the nocturnal brain and why?
7. How is the theme of ethnocentrism depicted within the vignettes focusing on James Cook?
8. How do Existentialist ideals creep into Verheyen's later writings?
9. What had the woman in rags been mumbling to Annushka when Annushka became frightened?
10. How is the theme of oppression featured within the vignettes about James Cook?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What message does Tokarczuk send within the pages of Flights concerning the link between travel and a meaningful life?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how and why Tokarczuk instills three different humanist messages into the narrative of Flights.
Essay Topic 3
How are the topics of inheritance and legacy treated within the novel Flights and how does the treatment of these themes relate to the novel's depicted messages?
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)