|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old does Dellarobia estimate Ovid to be in Chapter 5?
2. What is the name of the Feathertown high school football team?
3. About how much does the narrator describe the pastor as weighing in Chapter 3?
4. What church does Hester attend?
5. With whom does Jimmy live?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Dovey and what is her relationship to Dellarobia?
2. What is Dr. Byron's educational history and profession?
3. How have the finances of Dellarobia's family changed in Chapter 7? Why?
4. How does Dr. Byron describe the migration of monarch butterflies?
5. What is planned for the Turnbow land? Why has this plan arisen?
6. Why does Dellarobia urge Cub to climb the mountain in Chapter 2?
7. How is Ovid Byron described when he first appears in the novel?
8. Where are the butterflies located? What do they look like?
9. What is Dellarobia doing with her family in the beginning of Chapter 2? Why?
10. Why has Dr. Byron come to Feathertown?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of community versus outsiders in Flight Behavior. How do the inhabitants of Feathertown perceive Ovid and his scientific team? What are their views regarding logging and the environmental advocates? What symbolism relates to this theme?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the symbolism of the butterflies in Flight Behavior. What do the unexpected creatures represent to the church congregation? What do they represent to Ovid and his team? What do they represent to Dellarobia?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of religion in Flight Behavior. How important is religion to the inhabitants of Feathertown? What church dominates the community? How would you describe this church and congregation?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)