|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of business does Strickland run?
(a) A cement-pouring business.
(b) A tree-trimming business.
(c) A carpentry business.
(d) A shoe-making business.
2. About how much does the narrator describe the pastor as weighing in Chapter 3?
(a) 320 pounds.
(b) 280 pounds.
(c) 210 pounds.
(d) 190 pounds.
3. Who does Crystal describe breaking her fingers when they were slammed in a car door in Chapter 2?
4. What is Jimmy's job?
(a) He is a high school teacher.
(b) He is a telephone repairman.
(c) He is a college professor.
(d) He is a banker.
5. In Chapter 1, Jimmy's eyes are compared to the amber glass of what?
(a) A beer bottle.
(b) A church window.
(c) A whiskey bottle.
(d) A cheap ring.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dovey's text message say Moses was in Chapter 4?
2. Where was the newspaper reporter from that interviewed Dellarobia and Hester regarding the butterflies?
3. How old was Dellarobia when she married?
4. To what flowers are Dellarobia's children compared in a simile in Chapter 1?
5. How long ago did the Cooks move to Featherton?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Dellarobia doing in the beginning of Chapter 4? Who is she with?
2. How is Ovid Byron described when he first appears in the novel?
3. What arguments does Dellarobia present against the logging of the mountain in Chapter 7?
4. What is the significance of Preston's Christmas presents in Chapter 8?
5. How is the theme of religous faith explored in Chapter 2?
6. How is Hester described? What is her relationship to Dellarobia?
7. Why has Dr. Byron come to Feathertown?
8. Why does Dellarobia exit the Café in Christ in Chapter 3?
9. How is Dellarobia's family described?
10. Where are the butterflies located? What do they look like?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)