|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what way is Felicite completely different from Flaubert?
2. Who actually carried out the trick that resulted in Flaubert's find at the top of the Great Pyramid?
3. Who was Caroline?
4. What color are Madame Bovary's eyes, according to Geoffrey who says that they may be changed in appearance by the light?
5. What happened to the letters?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Geoffrey so anxious to meet with Ed a second time?
2. What is Flaubert's opinion of democracy?
3. What does Geoffrey say about coincidences?
4. What is the plot of "Un coeur simple"?
5. What was included in the dictionary Flaubert wrote?
6. Why does Geoffrey say he hates critics?
7. What are the three parts of Braithwaite's chronology about?
8. Whose deaths greatly affected Flaubert's life?
9. What is the mystery of the two parrots?
10. Why does Geoffrey think Flaubert might also be compared to a camel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Geoffrey defends Flaubert throughout the book. Given what you have learned about Flaubert, on what points do you think Flaubert deserves to be defended and on what points do you feel he rightly deserves the criticism he was given?
Essay Topic 2
Women played a major role in Flaubert's life. Explain the impact of each of the following woman on Flaubert's life and/or work: Madame Flaubert, Juliet Herbert, Louise Colet, and Elisa Schlesinger.
Essay Topic 3
In the book's chronology, one reads what are sometimes contrasting perspectives on the events in Flaubert's life. Discuss each of the three parts of the chronology and give at least three examples of conflicting information.
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)