|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What organ of the body does Flaubert refer to when explaining the purpose of poetry?
(a) The brain.
(b) The hand.
(c) The heart.
(d) The spleen.
2. What did people want to tell Geoffrey about?
(a) Ellen's affairs.
(b) His children's behavior.
(c) Ellen's illness.
(d) Their writing projects.
3. To whom were all of Flaubert's letters to Louise Colet sent through?
(b) Flaubert's sister.
(c) Maxime du Camp.
(d) Louise Colet's brother.
4. Who is defined as Flaubert's jailer?
(a) Flaubert's mother.
(b) Louise Colet.
(c) Flaubert's doctor.
(d) Maxime du Camp.
5. What is it that Geoffrey says about a line of writing which is good?
(a) He says it ceases to belong to any school.
(b) He says it comes straight from the heart.
(c) He says it has to have been labored over.
(d) He says it is immediately recognized as being good.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Geoffrey, what is the sweetest moment of writing?
2. To what philosopher does Geoffrey compare Flaubert?
3. Why was Louise a risk in Flaubert's life?
4. What does Geoffrey notice that the trains pass as they leave the station in Croisset?
5. About whom was the following epitaph written: She who lies here compromised Victor Cousin, ridiculed Alfred de Musset, reviled Gustave Flaubert . . . ?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Flaubert's feelings about his home in Croisset
2. Why did Flaubert hate railroads?
3. What did Geoffrey say about Ellen's lies?
4. Who are two of Flaubert's relatives who are given an entry in Braithwaite's dictionary?
5. On what points, if any, does Geoffrey personally criticize Flaubert?
6. What two women are compared and found to be remarkably similar?
7. Why was Louise a complication in Flaubert's life?
8. How is Flaubert's dream described in the examination section on Psychoanalysis?
9. Why was Flaubert secretive about his meetings with Louise Colet?
10. From Braithwaite's dictionary, give an example of conflicting accounts for one particular entry.
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)