|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Geoffrey notice that the trains pass as they leave the station in Croisset?
(a) Flaubert's pavilion.
(b) The cemetary where Flaubert's parents are buried.
(c) The museum where the stuffed parrot is kept.
(d) The house where Flaubert's mistress lived.
2. What did Geoffrey want to know about his wife?
(a) He wanted to know the worst about her.
(b) He wanted to know if she planned to take his money.
(c) He wanted to know how she knew his secrets.
(d) He wanted to know what others thought of her.
3. In his letters, what did Flaubert often write to Louise about?
(a) Her upcoming visits.
(b) His new works.
(c) His mother.
(d) Her beauty.
4. What does Louise Colet say she will take as a compliment?
(a) That she swears like a man.
(b) That she is careful about money.
(c) That she is a dangerous woman.
(d) That she has no guile about her.
5. What animal does Flaubert dream about in the dream Geoffrey includes in the psychoanalysis section of the examination?
Short Answer Questions
1. At Croisset, what was on the site of what was Flaubert's home?
2. Which of the following was Flaubert not accused of?
3. While traveling on the train to Rouen, what does Geoffrey notice about the signs?
4. Geoffrey says that you cannot change humanity, you can only what?
5. What did Louise do after Flaubert broke off their affair?
Short Essay Questions
1. Name one subject area included in the examination paper that you would consider unrelated to Flaubert's life and works. Explain your answer.
2. What does Geoffrey say is the difference between what people want to know about lovers and what they want to know about authors?
3. Why did Flaubert hate railroads?
4. What are three entries in Braithwaite's dictionary do you think were included only for the sake of filling that letter's spot?
5. Why does Geoffrey think that people want to know the worst?
6. In what way was Flaubert unkind to Louise?
7. How is Flaubert's dream described in the examination section on Psychoanalysis?
8. Why does Geoffrey think about books that authors didn't write?
9. Describe Flaubert's feelings about his home in Croisset
10. Why does Geoffrey maintain that he killed his wife?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)