|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Geoffrey say he thought his wife's despair came from?
(a) The knowledge that Geoffrey cheated on her.
(b) A chamber of her heart which was inaccessible to him.
(c) The illness she was fighting.
(d) A child she could not help.
2. What did Geoffrey say was the only thing Ellen never talked about?
(a) Her family.
(b) Her secret life.
(c) Her ambitions.
(d) Her illness.
3. Why does Geoffrey say is about the death of writers?
(a) That writers almost always die at a younger age than others.
(b) That they are not special, that they are just described deaths.
(c) That when a writer is lost to the world, it's a loss to many people.
(d) That when a writer dies critics feel free to say what they want about him.
4. What French work did Flaubert translate into English?
(a) Les Miserables.
(b) The Three Musketeers.
(d) Rousseau's essays.
5. Who was known as Flaubert's second mother?
(a) George Sand.
(b) Caroline Flaubert.
(c) Louise Colet.
(d) Elisa Schlessinger.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the "History (with Astrology)" section of the examination, what does Flaubert say we are dancing on?
2. Which of the following did Flaubert not do to Louise?
3. How many children did Geoffrey and Ellen have?
4. What is it that Geoffrey says about a line of writing which is good?
5. Geoffrey says that you cannot change humanity, you can only what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Geoffrey say is the difference between what people want to know about lovers and what they want to know about authors?
2. What did Geoffrey say about Ellen's lies?
3. Why does Geoffrey maintain that he killed his wife?
4. In what ways did Flaubert want Louise to be like him?
5. What are two of the issues about which Geoffrey says people would find fault with Flaubert?
6. Why does Geoffrey think about books that authors didn't write?
7. What was Geoffrey's attitude toward his wife's promiscuity?
8. What does Geoffrey say about the death of writers?
9. Who are three authors who are given entries in Braithwaite's dictionary?
10. In what way was Flaubert unkind to Louise?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)