|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Flaubert refers to himself as a bear and his sister as what animal?
(a) The rat.
(b) The rabbit.
(c) The lion.
(d) The alligator.
2. For what reason does Geoffrey read Flaubert?
(a) For research on the time period.
(b) For pleasure.
(c) For improving his own writing.
(d) For self-examination.
3. What did Ed originally intend to do with the letters?
(a) Keep them for his collection.
(b) Donate them to the Flaubert museum.
(c) Sell them.
(d) Give them to Geoffrey.
4. Which condition best describes Flaubert at his death?
(a) Wealthy and unknown.
(b) Impoverished and lonely.
(c) Impoverished but loved.
(d) Wealthy and famous.
5. Why does Geoffrey say that we cannot know everything about the past?
(a) Because historians have conflicting ideas about the past.
(b) Because much of history has never been written down.
(c) Because it would be impossible to take in everything.
(d) Because it would confuse us.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Geoffrey learn about Ed when he meets him at the restaurant?
2. Flaubert, who didn't believe in progress, thought that democracy made people what?
3. How many letters did Ed get from the woman named Kent?
4. In what setting does Geoffrey think the most famous nineteenth century fictional depiction of a seduction occurs?
5. Who is Humbert?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are several different parrots mentioned in the bestiary?
2. What does Geoffrey mean by this statement which he writes after the stories about the Scottish terrier, "What happened to the truth is not recorded"?
3. What was the trick Flaubert planned to play at the Great Pyramid and what was the outcome?
4. What examples of literary mistakes does the professor from Cambridge talk about?
5. Whose deaths greatly affected Flaubert's life?
6. Why did Ed say he burned the correspondence between Juliet and Flaubert?
7. Why might Geoffrey be so interested in the mystery of the parrots?
8. What are the three parts of Braithwaite's chronology about?
9. What does Geoffrey say is the difference between internal mistakes in writing literature and external ones?
10. What was included in the dictionary Flaubert wrote?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)