|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word does Geoffrey say that people are no longer allowed to use for describing lunacy?
2. What mistake did the professor from Cambridge point out in a Tennyson work?
(a) The number of men riding into battle.
(b) The outcome of the battle.
(c) The name of the colonel who led the troops into battle.
(d) The year of the battle.
3. The third list in the chronology consists of what?
(a) Flaubert's thoughts through the years.
(b) Flaubert's correspondence.
(c) Flaubert's love affairs.
(d) Flaubert's death.
4. Who was Loulou?
(a) Juliet's parrot.
(b) Elisa Schlessinger's parrot.
(c) Felicite's parrot.
(d) Caroline's parrot.
5. How does the inscription explain the presence of the stuffed green parrot?
(a) It says the parrot once sat on Flaubert's desk.
(b) It says the parrot was given to Flaubert's mother when he died.
(c) It says the parrot was a gift from Flaubert's lover.
(d) It says the parrot was Flaubert's childhood pet.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Flaubert published "Madame Bovary," what did Gertrude Collier Tenant publish?
2. What does Geoffrey hope will result from his discussion with Ed?
3. If Geoffrey had his way, which of the following subjects would he not ban novel writers from using?
4. With what writer does the biographer Enid Starkie compare Flaubert?
5. What was the name of the greyhound that was Flaubert's final companion?
Short Essay Questions
1. Whose deaths greatly affected Flaubert's life?
2. What are some connections between Flaubert and Gertrude Collier?
3. What examples of literary mistakes does the professor from Cambridge talk about?
4. Describe Ed Winterton.
5. What is Flaubert's opinion of democracy?
6. How did Ed happen to get the letters between Julie and Flaubert?
7. What was included in the dictionary Flaubert wrote?
8. Flaubert compares himself to many things. Name some of them.
9. What are several different parrots mentioned in the bestiary?
10. Why does Geoffrey think Flaubert might also be compared to a camel?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)