|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Geoffrey do to ascertain the color of Madame Bovary's eyes?
(a) He asked the guest lecturer.
(b) He reread the book.
(c) He researched Flaubert's notes.
(d) He read the original manuscript.
2. When Gertrude's son-in-law, the explorer Henry Morton Stanley, was forced to get rid of his belongings during a trip, what book did he toss?
(b) "Madame Bovary."
(c) A volume of Shakespeare.
(d) The Bible.
3. How many times are Madame Bovary's eyes actually mentioned in the novel?
4. Who should the author of a book be like, according to a quote Geoffrey has read?
(a) A close friend.
(c) A parent.
(d) A teacher.
5. When they were lowering Caroline's coffin into the ground, what happened?
(a) It got stuck.
(b) Flaubert cried out.
(c) The church bells began to peal.
(d) The pall bearers dropped it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Geoffrey do on his last day in Rouen?
2. How did Flaubert first come to know Juliet Herbert?
3. How many letters did Ed get from the woman named Kent?
4. What objects does Geoffrey Braithwaite, the narrator of "Flaubert's Parrot," describe in the beginning of the book?
5. According to Geoffrey, what is included in Flaubert's dictionary along with a catalog of cliches and odd definitions?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are several different parrots mentioned in the bestiary?
2. Flaubert compares himself to many things. Name some of them.
3. What is the plot of "Un coeur simple"?
4. What is the mystery of the two parrots?
5. What does Geoffrey think about omniscient authors of novels?
6. What is ironic about the Flaubert's burial?
7. Why might Geoffrey be so interested in the mystery of the parrots?
8. Why does Geoffrey think Flaubert might also be compared to a camel?
9. What does Geoffrey say about coincidences?
10. Why does Geoffrey say he hates critics?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)