|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Geoffrey defend Flaubert against the charge of being a sadist?
(a) He says that a priest who took Flaubert's confessions said the charge was a lie.
(b) He says Flaubert never commited an unkind act.
(c) He says that Flaubert was always too ill to act in sadistic ways.
(d) He quotes a letter from Flaubert on the subject.
2. What did Geoffrey say about his relationship with Ellen?
(a) He said Ellen would never take a lover.
(b) He said Ellen didn't love him.
(c) He said Ellen would go to the ends of the earth for him.
(d) He said Ellen had no one else to love.
3. Geoffrey feels that he understands Ellen less than he understands whom?
(b) His mother.
(d) His son.
4. Why did Geoffrey think people want to think the best about authors?
(a) People hope to learn truths from authors.
(b) People believe authors are somewhat like prophets.
(c) People want to affirm their choice of reading material.
(d) People have a tendency to defend authors.
5. According to Du Camp, how should the name Bovary be pronounced?
(a) With a short "o" as in "bother."
(b) With the accent on the last syllable.
(c) With a long "o" as in "boat."
(d) Like the word "brother" without the first "r."
6. What does Geoffrey call the devil's mark of the snorkel of sanity?
(a) Literary allusion.
7. What did Flaubert never do?
(b) Finish a book.
(c) Have an affair.
(d) Travel abroad.
8. Which of the following authors lived in Normandy?
9. What did Geoffrey want to know about his wife?
(a) He wanted to know what others thought of her.
(b) He wanted to know if she planned to take his money.
(c) He wanted to know how she knew his secrets.
(d) He wanted to know the worst about her.
10. What does Geoffrey wonder about the books that authors don't write?
(a) He wonders if they get written by someone else.
(b) He wonders what the world is missing out on.
(c) He wonders if they haunt the authors who thought of the ideas.
(d) He wonders if they matter.
11. What did Flaubert confess to Louise?
(a) That he spent many hours thinking about what he would do with a million francs.
(b) That he had had many affairs.
(c) That he had given up writing.
(d) That he no longer loved her.
12. Who always met Flaubert when he returned to Rouen from Mantes?
(a) His mother.
(b) Maxine du Camp.
(c) Elisa Schlesinger.
(d) His sister.
13. Why did Flaubert want Louise to write like he wrote?
(a) Because he was jealous of her work.
(b) Because he thought it would show her loyalty.
(c) Because he told his friends he could make her do so.
(d) Because he thought his way was best.
14. Why didn't Flaubert include many trains in his work?
(a) Flaubert wrote about the Middle Ages.
(b) Flaubert wrote books and stories set in isolated villages.
(c) Most of Flaubert's work was set before the popularity of trains in France.
(d) Flaubert hated trains.
15. What did Geoffrey say was the only thing Ellen never talked about?
(a) Her secret life.
(b) Her ambitions.
(c) Her illness.
(d) Her family.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Louise, what kind of lover was Flaubert?
2. Why was Louise a risk in Flaubert's life?
3. According to Geoffrey, which of the following is not a reason that makes people want to know the worst?
4. What animal does Flaubert dream about in the dream Geoffrey includes in the psychoanalysis section of the examination?
5. What was the subject of the metaphysical novel Flaubert made plans to write?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)