|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what reason was Flaubert confined to the family home as a young man?
(a) Because of a broken leg.
(b) Because of a scandal involving a maid.
(c) Because of the war.
(d) Because of an epileptic attack.
2. What had Ed lied about to the woman named Kent who gave him the letters?
(a) His identity.
(b) The worth of the letters.
(c) The authenticity of the letters.
(d) His occupation.
3. What should novelists who want to reproduce life's possibilities do?
(a) They should put a set of sealed envelopes with different endings in the back of their books.
(b) They should base their ideas on relgious books.
(c) They should only draw their ideas from real events.
(d) They should write in teams.
4. What does Flaubert find when he gets to the top of the Great Pyramid?
(a) A stuffed parrot.
(b) A mirror.
(c) A business card.
(d) A letter addressed to him.
5. Who actually carried out the trick that resulted in Flaubert's find at the top of the Great Pyramid?
(c) Du Camp.
(d) The translator.
6. Who was Loulou?
(a) Juliet's parrot.
(b) Felicite's parrot.
(c) Elisa Schlessinger's parrot.
(d) Caroline's parrot.
7. What color are Madame Bovary's eyes, according to Geoffrey who says that they may be changed in appearance by the light?
8. With what writer does the biographer Enid Starkie compare Flaubert?
9. For what reason does Geoffrey say that he does not like coincidences?
(a) Because he agrees with Flaubert's opinion on the subject.
(b) Because he prefers to feel that life is chaotic.
(c) Because he feels that coincidences rob people of their sense of control.
(d) Because coincidences make him feel uncomfortable.
10. From what diseases did Flaubert suffer?
(a) Diabetes and epilepsy.
(b) Diabetes and heart disease.
(c) Epilepsy and syphilis.
(d) Syphilis and diabetes.
11. What do Du Camp and Flaubert do the night before climbing the Great Pyramid?
(a) They research its history.
(b) They sleep beside it.
(c) They take photographs.
(d) They get drunk.
12. What is Geoffrey's marital status?
13. Which of the following animals does Flaubert not include in his letter to Bouilet?
(a) A donkey.
(b) An ostrich.
(c) A monkey.
(d) A lion.
14. What does Geoffrey ask Ed about the content of the letters?
(a) He asked if Flaubert used the letters as the basis for any of his stories.
(b) He asks if the letters proved Flaubert and Julie Herbert had an affair.
(c) He asks if Flaubert discussed death in his letters.
(d) He asked if Julie wrote about her children.
15. What does Geoffrey do on his last day in Rouen?
(a) He photographs the statues.
(b) He drives to Croisset.
(c) He eats at a snack bar called Le Flaubert.
(d) He outlines his new book.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many letters did Ed get from the woman named Kent?
2. About a year after their first meeting, Geoffrey agrees to meet with Ed for what reason?
3. What did Geoffrey do to ascertain the color of Madame Bovary's eyes?
4. The chronology is divided into three sections, the first of which deals with which of the following?
5. Although he had once thought of writing a book, what is Geoffrey's actual occupation?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)