|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10, The Case Against.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What defense does Geoffrey suggest against those who said Flaubert didn't involve himself in life?
(a) He says that Flaubert cared for his children well.
(b) He says that Flaubert became very involved in politics.
(c) He says that Flaubert had many affairs.
(d) He says that Flaubert lived the life that would best help him write his books.
2. How does Geoffrey defend Flaubert against the charge of being a sadist?
(a) He says that a priest who took Flaubert's confessions said the charge was a lie.
(b) He says Flaubert never commited an unkind act.
(c) He quotes a letter from Flaubert on the subject.
(d) He says that Flaubert was always too ill to act in sadistic ways.
3. What is Geoffrey's marital status?
(a) He is married.
(b) He is single.
(c) He is divorced.
(d) He is a widower.
4. What did the greyhound and Flaubert have in common?
(a) They were both ill at the same time.
(b) They both loved wine.
(c) They were both demanding.
(d) They were both orphans.
5. Which of the following animals does Flaubert not include in his letter to Bouilet?
(a) A monkey.
(b) A donkey.
(c) An ostrich.
(d) A lion.
Short Answer Questions
1. While traveling on the train to Rouen, what does Geoffrey notice about the signs?
2. Flaubert was born in what year?
3. Which condition best describes Flaubert at his death?
4. What is Geoffrey's attitude when making his final explanation about why he hates critics?
5. Why does Geoffrey think that critics want to control literature?
This section contains 340 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)