|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7, Cross Channel.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Du Camp, on whom was Madame Bovary modeled?
(a) The second wife of a medical officer.
(b) Flaubert's cousin.
(c) Flaubert's first mistress.
(d) The village seamstress of Rouen.
2. What does Geoffrey say we need to respect about Flaubert even if we think him naive or unsuccessful?
(a) His body of work.
(b) His philanthropy.
(c) His seriousness.
(d) His legacy.
3. What objects does Geoffrey Braithwaite, the narrator of "Flaubert's Parrot," describe in the beginning of the book?
4. What is Geoffrey's marital status?
5. What particular criticism does Starkie have of Flaubert's characterization of Madame Bovary?
(a) She says that he gives her differing eye colors in different chapters.
(b) He says that her eyes saw all when it was obvious she was often unaware.
(c) She says that there is no clear physical descriptiion in the book.
(d) She says that her temperament does not suit her actions.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Geoffrey do on his last day in Rouen?
2. In the newspaper article Flaubert saved, what was the parrot trained to say?
3. From what diseases did Flaubert suffer?
4. In the story, "Un coeur simple," what is Felicite's occupation?
5. What are Geoffrey's thoughts about when he likes to cross the channel?
This section contains 266 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)