|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12, Braithwaite's Dictionary of Accepted Ideas.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why didn't Flaubert include many trains in his work?
(a) Flaubert wrote about the Middle Ages.
(b) Most of Flaubert's work was set before the popularity of trains in France.
(c) Flaubert hated trains.
(d) Flaubert wrote books and stories set in isolated villages.
2. Who was known as Flaubert's second mother?
(a) Elisa Schlessinger.
(b) Louise Colet.
(c) Caroline Flaubert.
(d) George Sand.
3. What does Geoffrey ask about disciples and their masters?
(a) Is the great writer responsible for his disciples?
(b) Should a disciple acknowledge his debt to his master?
(c) Does a master also learn from his disciples?
(d) Do all disciples receive equal treatment from a master?
4. Who is defined as Flaubert's jailer?
(a) Louise Colet.
(b) Flaubert's doctor.
(c) Maxime du Camp.
(d) Flaubert's mother.
5. When one of Flaubert's doctors called him "an hysterical old woman," what was his reaction?
(a) He used the comment as a premise for a short story.
(b) He judged the observation profound.
(c) He never went to see a doctor again.
(d) He sued the doctor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following are not used to describe Flaubert in Braithwaite's Dictionary?
2. Who always met Flaubert when he returned to Rouen from Mantes?
3. Which of the following animals does Flaubert not include in his letter to Bouilet?
4. Why did Flaubert say that he wrote "Madame Bovary"?
5. In the newspaper article Flaubert saved, what was the parrot trained to say?
This section contains 297 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)