|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Elspeth dressed in when she greets Flashman?
2. Who did Queen Ranavalona murder to take the throne?
3. What does the note say that Laborde hands to Flashman?
4. What does Ranavalona order in Chapter 12?
5. How does Paitingi almost capsize his boat?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does de Rothschild think about Elspeth?
2. What does Flashman view from the anteroom?
3. How does J.B. execute the two pirates?
4. Why does Haslam say he kidnapped Elspeth?
5. Summarize chapter 9.
6. How does Flashman dodge Elspeth's question about Mrs. Lade?
7. Describe the setting in Chapter 12.
8. Why does the author tell the story from the first point of view?
9. Why is Flashman suspicious everyone is treating him so well?
10. What does Flashman think about Elspeth in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the book's dialogue. How does the author's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
Essay Topic 2
In what way does Fraser portray 1840s society as inhumane? ? How aer ideas of humanity different today than they were in the 1840s? How would Flashman view today's idea of humanity?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Flashman's character to the person he was at the beginning of the book to the he is at the end.
1. What did Flashman hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes Flashman ideas about life?
3. How has Flashman's character changed by the end of the book?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)