|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mr. Fankanonikaka's role at the palace?
2. What does the commandant declare Flashman to be?
3. What does Flashman say he tends to get nervous about?
4. What does Flashman insist he is to Haslam?
5. What do J.B. and his men attack on the third day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does de Rothschild think about Elspeth?
2. How does Laborde help Flashman in Chapter 9?
3. What does Flashman learn from Laborde in Chapter 8?
4. What does Flashman view from the anteroom?
5. What sacrifice does Paintingi make in Chapter 7?
6. Summarize chapter 9.
7. Why does J.B. say pirates are not necessarily criminals in Asia?
8. Describe the setting in Chapter 12.
9. Why does the author tell the story from the first point of view?
10. How does the Prince want Flashman to help him in Chapter 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the values of the 1840s.
1. In what ways are the characters a product of their time?
2. How does the book express the changes Britain was going through at the time?
3. Does modern society share any values with 1840s Britain?
Essay Topic 2
How do Flashman and Elspeth show their love for each other? In what way are the events in the novel an important moment in their relationship? In what does the novel show that Flashman and Elspeth are perfect for each other?
Essay Topic 3
In what way does Fraser portray 1840s society as inhumane? ? How aer ideas of humanity different today than they were in the 1840s? How would Flashman view today's idea of humanity?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)