|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the note say that Laborde hands to Flashman?
2. Where does Rakohaja take Flashman?
3. What is Queen Ranavalona watching while Flashman is visiting his wife?
4. How does Flashman describe the young girl flirting with him?
5. What did the Queen do to Flashman's predecessor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Flashman learn from Laborde in Chapter 8?
2. What does Flashman teach Queen Ranalova in Chapter 9?
3. What does de Rothschild think about Elspeth?
4. How does the Prince want Flashman to help him in Chapter 11?
5. Why is Flashman suspicious everyone is treating him so well?
6. Summarize Chapter 12.
7. Why does J.B. say pirates are not necessarily criminals in Asia?
8. How do the Queen's men treat Flashman when they first catch him?
9. Summarize chapter 9.
10. What does Flashman think about Elspeth in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the values of the 1840s.
1. In what ways are the characters a product of their time?
2. How does the book express the changes Britain was going through at the time?
3. Does modern society share any values with 1840s Britain?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following historical figures in Fraser's book and discuss how he represents them and why he represents that person in that manner? Are there people who would argue against Fraser's representation of that person's life?
2. The Queen of Madagascar.
3. Jean Laborde.
4. Prince Rakota.
Essay Topic 3
What is an anti-hero? How does Flashman conform to the idea of an anti-hero? What does Fraser's use of an anti-hero say about his thoughts on the myth of the hero in general?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)