|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wants to be the new king of Madagascar?
2. What does Muller disappear into?
3. Who did Queen Ranavalona murder to take the throne?
4. Who does Paitingi think is preparing a trap for them?
5. What is the color of Elspeth's eyes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the setting in Chapter 9.
2. What is fitting about the name Phlegethon?
3. How does Flashman react when J.B. asks him to storm the fort?
4. How does Flashman dodge Elspeth's question about Mrs. Lade?
5. What does de Rothschild think about Elspeth?
6. How does Laborde help Flashman in Chapter 9?
7. What sacrifice does Paintingi make in Chapter 7?
8. Why does J.B. say pirates are not necessarily criminals in Asia?
9. How does J.B. execute the two pirates?
10. What does Flashman teach Queen Ranalova in Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who are the historical figures and events in the novel? How accurate is Fraser's representation of his historical figures and events? How does he use the story and character to create his representations?
Essay Topic 2
What are the main turning points of the book? How does Fraser develop his story to get to each turning point? What happens to the story after a major turning point?
Essay Topic 3
How does Fraser view Rasalova as a historical figure? How much do the students think Fraser had to change Rasalova's character to fit with his story?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)