|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the queen's tribe?
2. What does Elspeth say she is determined to uphold?
3. When does Flashman say he feels affection for Ranalova?
4. What is the color of Elspeth's eyes?
5. What is the name of the woman Flashman has sex with in the bushes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Haslam say he kidnapped Elspeth?
2. What sacrifice does Paintingi make in Chapter 7?
3. What is fitting about the name Phlegethon?
4. How does J.B. execute the two pirates?
5. What does Flashman learn from Laborde in Chapter 8?
6. What does Elspeth write in her dairy in Chapter 9?
7. What is Flashman worried about in Chapter 11?
8. What does Flashman teach Queen Ranalova in Chapter 9?
9. Describe the setting in Chapter 12.
10. Summarize Chapter 12.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the values of the 1840s.
1. In what ways are the characters a product of their time?
2. How does the book express the changes Britain was going through at the time?
3. Does modern society share any values with 1840s Britain?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following historical figures in Fraser's book and discuss how he represents them and why he represents that person in that manner? Are there people who would argue against Fraser's representation of that person's life?
2. The Queen of Madagascar.
3. Jean Laborde.
4. Prince Rakota.
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)