|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do people facing the death penalty hideout?
2. Who did Queen Ranavalona murder to take the throne?
3. What has a British warship protested about?
4. Where does Rakohaja take Flashman?
5. How does Paitingi almost capsize his boat?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the author tell the story from the first point of view?
2. What does Elspeth write in her dairy in Chapter 9?
3. How does J.B. execute the two pirates?
4. What does Flashman learn from Laborde in Chapter 8?
5. What does de Rothschild think about Elspeth?
6. Summarize Chapter 12.
7. How does Flashman react when J.B. asks him to storm the fort?
8. Describe the setting in Chapter 12.
9. Describe the setting in Chapter 9.
10. What does Flashman think about Elspeth in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Flashman's character to the person he was at the beginning of the book to the he is at the end.
1. What did Flashman hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes Flashman ideas about life?
3. How has Flashman's character changed by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Aside from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
How do Flashman and Elspeth show their love for each other? In what way are the events in the novel an important moment in their relationship? In what does the novel show that Flashman and Elspeth are perfect for each other?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)