|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Flashman fondle in the palki?
2. What does Flashman decide is wasted piety?
3. What coast does Flashman say he enjoyed traveling down?
4. How does Flashman describe Sharif Sahib's palace?
5. What does the Madagascan queen use anyone stranded on her shores for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Elspeth say in her diary in Chapter 1?
2. What does Elspeth think of Haslam?
3. How does Flashman recover from his ordeal?
4. How does Haslam prove not to be the Eton gentleman Flashman first thought he was?
5. What new characters does Flashman meet after he recovers consciousness?
6. Why is cricket now only suitable for old women?
7. What does Flashman have to lose if he loses the cricket match?
8. What does Haslam talk about with Morrison?
9. Describe J.B.
10. What are Flashman's true feelings for Elspeth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
Aside from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the book.
1. How does the author use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
2. Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)