|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Whampoa describe beauty?
2. Where does Flashman say he has to attend to business before they set sail?
3. Why does Flashman decline Haslam's offer to travel to Asia?
4. Where does Flashman's Uncle Bindley give Flashman an assignment?
5. What is J.B.'s title along with King of Sarawak?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Flashman think Elspeth will be okay with Haslam?
2. Why do Moses and Whampoa blame themselves for Elspeth's kidnapping?
3. What does Elspeth say in her diary in Chapter 1?
4. What does Haslam talk about with Morrison?
5. How does Whampoa contribute to Flashman's nightmare?
6. What does Elspeth do when Haslam allows her aboard his ship?
7. Summarize Chapter 3.
8. Describe J.B.
9. Describe the cricket match between Haslam and Flashman.
10. Why does Flashman decide to accompany Elspeth and Haslam?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the books reception in three different countries including the country the book was written. How do their opinions about the books differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
Essay Topic 2
What are the main turning points of the book? How does Fraser develop his story to get to each turning point? What happens to the story after a major turning point?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1840s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if it were set in today's society?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)