|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the cricket ground where the match is taking place?
2. What is the name of J.B.'s bungalow?
3. What sport is Haslam teaching Elspeth in this section?
4. What is the name of the Aztec God?
5. What is the name of the river where Dido drops its anchor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Flashman have to lose if he loses the cricket match?
2. What is Flashman's relationship with Elspeth?
3. Describe Harry Flashman.
4. What does Haslam say are his intentions with Elspeth?
5. Why does Flashman dislike Haslam?
6. Describe Flashman's relationship with Old Morrison.
7. How does Haslam prove not to be the Eton gentleman Flashman first thought he was?
8. Summarize Chapter 3.
9. Describe J.B.
10. What does Elspeth's diary entry show about her character?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the main turning points of the book? How does Fraser develop his story to get to each turning point? What happens to the story after a major turning point?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Flashman's character across the whole series.
1. How does the author develop Flashman's character across the whole series?
2. What new elements does the author add to Flashman's character?
3. Examine the book's chronological setting.
Essay Topic 3
Who are the historical figures and events in the novel? How accurate is Fraser's representation of his historical figures and events? How does he use the story and character to create his representations?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)