|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Flash have sex with Mrs. Lade?
2. How does the pirate say he does not want to be killed?
3. Who does J.B. say he admires for her enlightened opinions?
4. How does Flashman describe Sharif Sahib's palace?
5. Who does Haslam offer to introduce Flashman to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is cricket now only suitable for old women?
2. What new characters does Flashman meet after he recovers consciousness?
3. What do Flashman and Elspeth do once they arrive in Singapore?
4. How does Haslam knock Flash unconscious?
5. What are Flashman's true feelings for Elspeth?
6. Describe Haslam.
7. Describe Harry Flashman.
8. How does J.B. rescue Flashman?
9. How does Whampoa contribute to Flashman's nightmare?
10. How does Haslam prove not to be the Eton gentleman Flashman first thought he was?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the values of the 1840s.
1. In what ways are the characters a product of their time?
2. How does the book express the changes Britain was going through at the time?
3. Does modern society share any values with 1840s Britain?
Essay Topic 2
How do Flashman and Elspeth show their love for each other? In what way are the events in the novel an important moment in their relationship? In what does the novel show that Flashman and Elspeth are perfect for each other?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Flashman's character across the whole series.
1. How does the author develop Flashman's character across the whole series?
2. What new elements does the author add to Flashman's character?
3. Examine the book's chronological setting.
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)