|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Flashman trip over as he runs away?
2. Who sees Flashman having sex with with Mrs. Lade?
3. How does Flashman describe Angie Coutts?
4. How does the pirate say he does not want to be killed?
5. What kind of animal does Elspeth say looks like her father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Haslam say are his intentions with Elspeth?
2. How does Whampoa contribute to Flashman's nightmare?
3. Why do Moses and Whampoa blame themselves for Elspeth's kidnapping?
4. Describe Harry Flashman.
5. What does Elspeth's diary entry show about her character?
6. Why does Flashman dislike Haslam?
7. How does J.B. rescue Flashman?
8. Why is cricket now only suitable for old women?
9. What does Elspeth say in her diary in Chapter 1?
10. What is Flashman's relationship with Elspeth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Who are the historical figures and events in the novel? How accurate is Fraser's representation of his historical figures and events? How does he use the story and character to create his representations?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)