• Harry Flashman's friend, Tom Brown, recruits him for a cricket match against Kent at Lords.
• During the cricket match, Flashman does the world's first hat-trick.
• After the match, a bookie called Tighe congratulates him. He gives Flashman champagne and £50 from his winnings.
• Flashman finds Elspeth in the arms of Don Solomon Haslam. He is teaching her archery, but Flashman suspects he wants more.
• When Flash arrives home, he burns an envelope containing the £50 Haslam gave him.
• The end of the chapter includes an excerpt from Elspeth's diary. She says she enjoys watching the ladies admiring her heroic but naive husband.
• For eight months, the Flashmans enjoy their fame. Haslam becomes part of their social circle, though no one know who he really is.
• The Household Cavalry invites Flashman to play cricket at Canterbury.
• Before the match, Flashman runs into Tighe. Tighe offers Flashman £300 if he wins...
This section contains 1,704 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)