|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the woman who seduces Flash in Chapter Eighteen?
2. Like what does Flash say Seward has a nose?
3. What do the group cut on Potomac Bridge?
4. Where is Flash at the beginning of Chapter Fifteen?
5. What nationality is Alan Pinkerton?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Joe changed in this section?
2. How does Messervy reassure Flash?
3. How does Brown act when they first raid the town?
4. How do things change for the worse for Brown and his men?
5. What does Flash remember about Brown at the farmhouse?
6. How does Hannah Popplewell help Flash?
7. What does Flash think of Kagi?
8. Why does Flash wish Seward had become President?
9. What does Douglass think of Brown's plan?
10. Why can't Flashy sleep at the end of this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Flashman's character to the person he is at the beginning of the book to the one he is at the end.
1. What does Flashman hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events change Flashman's ideas about life?
3. How does Flashman's character change by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 2
What are Brown's strengths and weaknesses as a leader? How does he persuade people to follow him so fanatically?
Essay Topic 3
In what way could Flashman's narrative be described as unreliable? Is this always the case with first person point of view? How does Fraser use the first person point of view to create meaning?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)