|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Hannah's codename?
2. For whose sake does Flash want to survive?
3. Brown thinks his death will lead to what?
4. What is the weather during the march on Harper's Ferry?
5. For what does Flash say he longs?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Brown rent out a farmhouse?
2. How does Flash escape the mob in this section?
3. How does Messervy reassure Flash?
4. How does Joe persuade Brown to let Flash help him get the breakfast?
5. How has Joe changed in this section?
6. What are Flash's first impressions of Brown?
7. What information does Messervy give Flash about Brown?
8. Why can't Flashy sleep at the end of this section?
9. What does Flash tell Joe at the end of this section?
10. Why does Flash wish Seward had become President?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way could it be said that Brown's death started the Civil War? How do people view Brown in today's America?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Flashman's character to the person he is at the beginning of the book to the one he is at the end.
1. What does Flashman hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events change Flashman's ideas about life?
3. How does Flashman's character change by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Flashman's character across the whole series.
1. How does the author develop Flashman's character across the whole series?
2. What new elements does Flashman and the Angel of the Lord add to Flashman's character?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)