|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do the American government ask Flash to kill?
2. What is the name of the second bridge the group captures?
3. To whom is Colonel Washington related?
4. What does Brown declare Joe to be?
5. For whose sake does Flash want to survive?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Brown rent out a farmhouse?
2. What are Flash's first impressions of Brown?
3. What information does Messervy give Flash about Brown?
4. How does Joe persuade Brown to let Flash help him get the breakfast?
5. How does Messervy reassure Flash?
6. How does Brown act when the southerners capture him?
7. How does Flash react to the violence he sees at the end of the section.
8. Why can't Flashy sleep at the end of this section?
9. How does Brown act at his trial?
10. What does Flash remember about Brown at the farmhouse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the Underground Railroad? How important was it to the abolitionist movement? How accurate is Fraser's representation of the group? How does he change his representation to fit the story?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Spring want to exact revenge against Flashman? How does Spring work on Flashman's weaknesses to exact his revenge?
Essay Topic 3
What meaning does it give the story that Kuklos and all of the group's members have Greek names? Choose one of the Greek names and discuss its significance in context of the story?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)