|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Flashy first try to get help?
2. When does Flashy say John Brown's eyes lit up?
3. Where has Spring arranged to ship Flashman?
4. Why is Atropos so important to the Kuklos?
5. To what bible character does Crixus compare Brown?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Atropos tell Flash about the Kuklos?
2. What is Flash's opinion of Brown?
3. Why is Flash tempted to sleep with Miranda?
4. Why does Flashman start telling a story about John Brown?
5. What is Flash's opinion of slavery?
6. How does Flash know Crixus?
7. Who is Flashman's alias, Comber?
8. How does Flash know Annette?
9. How does Flash escape Crixus?
10. Why does Flash decide he has no choice but to play along with Crixus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the Underground Railroad? How important was it to the abolitionist movement? How accurate is Fraser's representation of the group? How does he change his representation to fit the story?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Flashman's character to the person he is at the beginning of the book to the one he is at the end.
1. What does Flashman hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events change Flashman's ideas about life?
3. How does Flashman's character change by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 3
In what way could Flashman's narrative be described as unreliable? Is this always the case with first person point of view? How does Fraser use the first person point of view to create meaning?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)