|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the woman Flashy thinks is a prostitute?
2. What does Flashy say he pinched from other chaps?
3. Where does Elspeth say people who say bad words will go?
4. With what famous literature character did Flashy go to school?
5. How does Flash describe the overweight figure's southern accent?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Atropos think will happen after the 1860 elections?
2. What does Pinkerton want Flash to do before he allows him to see the British consul?
3. Why does Flashman start telling a story about John Brown?
4. What does Annette reveal to Flash about Atropos?
5. How does Miranda shock Flash in this section?
6. Why does Flash turn down Pinkerton's offer?
7. Why does Flash think Spring's plan has failed?
8. How does Crixus describe Brown?
9. What is Flash's opinion of slavery?
10. Why does Flash say he was impressed with Lincoln when they met?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What problems exist between the North and South? How different are the northern and southern cultures? How have the North and South tried to resolve their problems? What is the current relationship between the northern and southern states?
Essay Topic 2
What is Flashman's goal in the novel and what are his motivations for achieving this goal? What do his shallow motivations say about his character? How does Fraser create a likable character despite the character's shallowness?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Flashman's character to the person he is at the beginning of the book to the one he is at the end.
1. What does Flashman hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events change Flashman's ideas about life?
3. How does Flashman's character change by the end of the book?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)