|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who arrives to offer safe passage?
2. What country does Flashman discuss with Scud East?
3. What does Rose want to use to trap Lakshmibai?
4. How do the generals want to kill the remaining rebel chiefs?
5. What is the name of Valla's aunt?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Rose reject the idea of using a platoon to capture Lakshmibai?
2. What does Flashman think about Lakshmibai in chapter eleven?
3. Why does Flashman think Jhansi is the best place for him to go?
4. How does Flashman escape the crocodiles?
5. Why does Flashman think the rebels want to surrender?
6. In what way is the situation desperate at the beginning of chapter eight?
7. How does Flashman react to East's death in chapter nine?
8. How does Flashman describe life in Cawnpore garrison?
9. In what way is Flashman lucky in chapter ten?
10. What is Flashman's new mission in chapter eleven?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the structure of the book.
1. How does the author use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
2. Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 2
Examine sex in the book.
1. How do the characters in the book view sex?
2. Do the characters need to be sex to cope in the world that the author portrays?
3. How did the public react to the book's sex when it was first published? How would the public react to a similar book today?
Essay Topic 3
Away from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)