|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the British allow Ignatieff free?
2. What is Lord Palmerston's nickname?
3. What country does Flashman arrive in at the beginning of chapter three?
4. What does Hutton say he has been watching?
5. What kind of building is Jhansi?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Jhansi causing Britain a problem?
2. What does Lakshmibai say the Indians think of British culture?
3. Why do the Thugs want to kill Flashman?
4. How does Flashman describe Lakshmibai?
5. Why does Flashman state that he is not keen on his mission to India?
6. How does Flashman settle into life in the Indian army?
7. What does Flashman note about religious people in chapter three?
8. How do people prove unsympathetic to the attempt on Flashman's life?
9. How does Flashman escape the Russians in chapter two?
10. How does Flashman defend British culture?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick a character from the book and discuss his or her goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 2
What does Fraser say about inhumanity? Do you agree the Indians acted just as inhumanely as the British? In what way does the first-person narrator perspective cloud the British atrocities?
Essay Topic 3
How accurate is Fraser's representation of 1850s Indian culture? In what way is Fraser representation of Indian culture restricted by the fact that he tells the story from Flashman's point of view?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)