|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the group who try to kill Flashman?
2. What are do the three stale chapittis symbolize in India?
3. Who is the portrait of Flashman offers to the Queen as a gift?
4. Which royal residence does Flashman say he is no longer invited to?
5. Why does the ghillie say he is ill in this section?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Flashman react when he is paired with Ignatieff on the hunting trip?
2. How does Flashman live his life at the beginning of chapter one?
3. Why does Skene think the Queen in Jhansi is dangerous?
4. Why is Flashman so shocked with what he sees in chapter six?
5. How does Flashman defend British culture?
6. How does Flashman get into the Indian army in chapter five?
7. Why is Jhansi causing Britain a problem?
8. How does the Queen greet Flashman when he arrives at the pavilion?
9. How do people prove unsympathetic to the attempt on Flashman's life?
10. How does Flashman deal with the Pathan, Sher Khan in chapter three?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the structure of the book.
1. How does the author use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
2. Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following and examine their real-life equivalent. How did the author adapt it for his book.
1. The British Secret Service.
3. The gold trade
Essay Topic 3
What does Fraser say about cultural oppression?In what way does British colonialism both benefit and harm India? What kind of country do the students think India would have evolved into if the Britain had not colonized them?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)