|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Flashman eager to get to after he's been rescued?
2. What does Flashman admire about Count Pencherjevsky?
3. Who is the Silk One's constant companion?
4. What does Kutebar say that a word of thanks between warriors should be?
5. What does the Silk One do to help persuade Flashman to fight?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the situation that Flashman walks into when he is put in the cell.
2. What are the events that occur during the peasant rebellion, which allow Flashman and East to escape?
3. Explain why Izzat Kutebar feels slightly ashamed of the way that he, Flashman and Yakub Beg were rescued from Fort Raim.
4. Describe how East and Flashman were treated in the house of Count Pencherjevsky.
5. Explain why Flashman might consider his predicament in Chapter 8 as "poetic justice".
6. What obstacles must East and Flashman overcome in order to make a successful escape?
7. Explain how Flashman found out that the Silk One was actually a female.
8. Why does Scud East avoid family dinners with Count Pencherjevsky and his family?
9. How does East feel when Flashman throw's Valla overboard? Describe his reaction.
10. How does Flashman try to get out of helping Yakub Beg and his people fight the Russians?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Harry Flashman to Count Pencherjevsky. Do you think they are similar sort of men, or very different? Support your answer using the text.
Essay Topic 2
Does Flashman have a moral compass? Why or why not? Support your answer from the text.
Essay Topic 3
In the beginning of the novel, the gender roles are quite clear--women are the weaker sex, and are silly and ignorant; men are strong and brave. Once Flashman encounters a description of the "Silk One", it seems to challenge the gender roles set down early in the novel. Please compare and contrast the gender roles in the beginning of the novel to the end of the novel. Do you think Flashman has changed his view on women? What view do you George MacDonald Fraser takes of women and their role in society?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)