|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Silk One do to help persuade Flashman to fight?
2. What makes Flashman re-think rebelling against the work he is doing in the cell?
3. Why is Flashman annoyed at East for giving Valla something for sleep?
4. What does East do to Flashman when their escape fails?
5. Who says "Put no faith in women, and as much in Chinese"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why East left Flashman to the Russians.
2. Explain why Flashman is momentarily wary of seeing Scud East at Pencherjevsky's estate.
3. Describe the incident when Flashman first sees how the Pencherjevsky family treats their serfs as sub-human.
4. Explain how Flashman found out that the Silk One was actually a female.
5. Describe the situation that Flashman walks into when he is put in the cell.
6. Describe how East and Flashman were treated in the house of Count Pencherjevsky.
7. Explain why Count Ignatieff decides to take Flashman with him to India.
8. Explain why Flashman called Yakub Beg and his companion Panthans.
9. What obstacles must East and Flashman overcome in order to make a successful escape?
10. How does Flashman try to get out of helping Yakub Beg and his people fight the Russians?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does Flashman have a moral compass? Why or why not? Support your answer from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the women in Flashman's life. Answer the question of whether or not they are strong characters. Are they good role models? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Flashman at the Charge was printed as a series of stories in Playboy Magazine. What does that say about the novel? Why do you think Playboy published it in three of their issues? Do you think it appeals to a wider audience than Playboy's target audience?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)