|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Flashman meet Captain Count Nicholas Pavlovitch Ignatieff?
2. Who is the Commander-in-Chief of the Army?
3. When Flashman re-joins the siege operations, what is his first mission?
4. To what do Raglan and Airey mistakenly attribute Flashman's tears to?
5. At Marjorie's party in Chapter 2, what does Flashman stumble upon Elspeth and Lord Cardigan doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Elspeth's reaction when she finds out that Flashy has signed up with the Board of Ordnance instead of his old regiment the Hussars.
2. Describe the scene in Varna when Flashman and Willy arrived.
3. Explain why Flashman considers Raglan a hypocrite in Chapter 3.
4. Explain how Flashman got dysentery.
5. How does Flashman catch Elspeth with Lord Cardigan? Describe the events.
6. Explain the outcome of the Charge of the Light Brigade.
7. Explain why Flashman says that Elspeth is "in her element."
8. Why does Flashman weep so bitterly when he finds Willy dead?
9. What was the only probable explanation that the Russians could come up with as for why the Light Brigade Charged?
10. Explain why Willy annoys Flashman in the events leading up to, and also during the first part of the Battle of Alma.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think Flashman is so humble about his past successes? Do you think his success were merely by accident, as he states, or does Flashman have underlying characteristics which make him successful in his ventures? Support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 9, Flashman has a strange dream while still in the cell with Yakub Beg and Kutebar. What do you think the dream means? Support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Flashman compares British women and Russian women in Chapter 6. What differences and/or similarities does he note? Do these differences make his actions towards Russian women any different from his actions towards British women? Support your answer.
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)