|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Flashman pull strings to join the Board of Ordnance?
2. How was the British medical provision fairing at the Battle of Alma?
3. To what do Raglan and Airey mistakenly attribute Flashman's tears to?
4. Who does Flashman unexpectedly meet at the estate where he is staying?
5. Why is Elspeth delighted by the friendship/mentor-ship between Flashman and Prince William?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the conditions for the British and the French where the siege was laid to take Sevastopol.
2. Describe the scene in Varna when Flashman and Willy arrived.
3. Explain how Flashman got dysentery.
4. Explain why Willy annoys Flashman in the events leading up to, and also during the first part of the Battle of Alma.
5. What was the only probable explanation that the Russians could come up with as for why the Light Brigade Charged?
6. Explain how Flashy helped the young naive "greenhorn" in the pool hall beat Cutts in a game of pool. Why did he help the greenhorn?
7. What reason does Flashman give for being jealous after seeing Elspeth's interaction with Lord Cardigan?
8. How does Flashy describe the Board of Ordnance, and how does he decide to get through it?
9. Describe how Elspeth reacts when Flashman confronts her about catching her almost cheating on him with Lord Cardigan.
10. Why does Flashman weep so bitterly when he finds Willy dead?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 9, Flashman has a strange dream while still in the cell with Yakub Beg and Kutebar. What do you think the dream means? Support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
In the beginning of the novel, the gender roles are quite clear--women are the weaker sex, and are silly and ignorant; men are strong and brave. Once Flashman encounters a description of the "Silk One", it seems to challenge the gender roles set down early in the novel. Please compare and contrast the gender roles in the beginning of the novel to the end of the novel. Do you think Flashman has changed his view on women? What view do you George MacDonald Fraser takes of women and their role in society?
Essay Topic 3
Do you think Lord Raglan is being hypocritical in his admonition of Flashman regarding the death of Prince William? Describe why or why not, and support your answer.
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)