|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Flashman say that Lord Raglan is the worst kind of General imaginable?
2. What surprises Flashman about the Russian peasants?
3. Who is Billy Russell?
4. Who's estate is Flashman staying at while he is a prisoner of war?
5. What does Flashman say is common practice when a staff galloper is given a written message?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what made Flashman's spirits lift once he gets to Count Pencherjevsky's estate.
2. Describe Elspeth's reaction when she finds out that Flashy has signed up with the Board of Ordnance instead of his old regiment the Hussars.
3. What reason is given for Lord Cardigan kicking Flashy out of the 11th Hussars 14 years earlier?
4. Describe Lord Raglan's reaction to Prince William's death.
5. Explain the brutal incident that Flashman witnesses near the estate where he is to stay as a prisoner of war.
6. Why does Flashman weep so bitterly when he finds Willy dead?
7. Describe the conditions for the British and the French where the siege was laid to take Sevastopol.
8. Explain why Lew Nolan goes off about Lord Raglan being a fool.
9. Explain the outcome of the Charge of the Light Brigade.
10. Explain why Raglan's orders to Lucan are contradictory.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the beginning of the novel, the gender roles are quite clear--women are the weaker sex, and are silly and ignorant; men are strong and brave. Once Flashman encounters a description of the "Silk One", it seems to challenge the gender roles set down early in the novel. Please compare and contrast the gender roles in the beginning of the novel to the end of the novel. Do you think Flashman has changed his view on women? What view do you George MacDonald Fraser takes of women and their role in society?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the relationship between Flashman and his wife, Elspeth. Would you say that they have a strong relationship? Why or why not? Support your answer with quotes and passages from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Flashman at the Charge was printed as a series of stories in Playboy Magazine. What does that say about the novel? Why do you think Playboy published it in three of their issues? Do you think it appeals to a wider audience than Playboy's target audience?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)