|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the "white terror" in Russia?
2. After finding out about Willy's fate, what does Raglan ask Flashman that seems inappropriate?
3. How is Lord Raglan finally "stung" into action?
4. Why doesn't Lord Raglan like beards?
5. How does Flashman describe the Battle of Alma from the start?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Lord Raglan's reaction to Prince William's death.
2. Describe what made Flashman's spirits lift once he gets to Count Pencherjevsky's estate.
3. After the incident with Count Ignatieff, why does Flashman understand how Tsar Ivan got his nickname? What is Tsar Ivan's nickname?
4. Describe Elspeth's reaction when she finds out that Flashy has signed up with the Board of Ordnance instead of his old regiment the Hussars.
5. Explain the brutal incident that Flashman witnesses near the estate where he is to stay as a prisoner of war.
6. Explain why Flashman considers Raglan a hypocrite in Chapter 3.
7. When Lord Raglan chooses Flashman to look after Prince William, what are the qualifications he lists that are required for this particular position?
8. Explain why Willy annoys Flashman in the events leading up to, and also during the first part of the Battle of Alma.
9. Does Flashman believe his wife when she claims she didn't know that Lord Cardigan would be in her room? Explain why or why not.
10. Explain the outcome of the Charge of the Light Brigade.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think that George MacDonald Fraser uses stereotypes in Flashman at the Charge? Why or why not? Please support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think Flashman is so humble about his past successes? Do you think his success were merely by accident, as he states, or does Flashman have underlying characteristics which make him successful in his ventures? Support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Do you think that it is Flashman's fault that Prince William died? Why or why not? Please support your answer.
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)