|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the scene that Flashman encounters when he is placed in the cell with two men?
(a) Both men are pased out on the cell floor.
(b) A terrible smell of the two men who haven't bathed.
(c) One man hanging from all for limbs and another underneath him trying to hold him up.
(d) Flashman passes out when he reaches the cell.
2. Who is Izzat Kutebar?
(a) He is a governor.
(b) He is a bandit.
(c) He is a tradesman.
(d) He is a prince.
3. Why is the peasant uprising opportune for East and Flashman?
(a) Because Flashman has impregnated Valla.
(b) Because they need to escape to pass on information.
(c) Because they are both getting very bored in Russia.
(d) Because Flashman hasn't impreganted Valla.
4. What language do the two other prisoners speak, and how does Flashman know?
(a) They speak French, which Flashman understands perfectly.
(b) They speak English.
(c) They speak Persian, which Flashman understands perfectly.
(d) They speak Russian, which Flashman understands perfectly.
5. What does Valla do the first time that Flashman makes a pass at her?
(a) She punches him in the groin.
(b) She runs to find Scud East.
(c) She screams and runs away.
(d) She gives in very quickly.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Kutebar in the cell?
2. After the Russian steam bath, what does Count Pencherjevsky propose to Flashman?
3. What does Count Ignatieff show Flashman for his own "benefit"?
4. How does Flashman flatter the Pencherjevsky family?
5. What is Flashman doing when East alerts him to danger during their escape?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Flashman might consider his predicament in Chapter 8 as "poetic justice".
2. How does Flashman eventually get caught? What happens to Scud East?
3. How does Flashman try to get out of helping Yakub Beg and his people fight the Russians?
4. How does the Silk One react to Flashman's reasoning for not wanting to help Yakub Beg and his people fight the Russians?
5. Describe how Flashman sees his arrival in India going in Chapter 10.
6. What are the events that occur during the peasant rebellion, which allow Flashman and East to escape?
7. How does East feel when Flashman throw's Valla overboard? Describe his reaction.
8. Explain why Count Pencherjevsky doesn't like Valla's husband?
9. Why does Scud East avoid family dinners with Count Pencherjevsky and his family?
10. Explain how Flashman and East end up taking Valla with them on their escape.
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)