|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Flashman lie to Valla?
(a) Becuase he likes to lie.
(b) Because he doesn't want her to worry about her father.
(c) Because he doesn't want her to get hysterical.
(d) Because he thinks it will be funny.
2. What is Flashman the most terrified of during his and East's escape?
(a) Being found out by Russian soldiers.
(b) Being attacked by wolves.
(c) Being caught with his pants down by East.
(d) That Valla will freeze to death.
3. What does East do to Flashman when their escape fails?
(a) East decides to stay and fight with his commrade.
(b) East miraculously lifts the sled off Flashman and they escape.
(c) East abandon's him underneath the overturned sled.
(d) East runs away in fear.
4. What noise does Kutebar make in the cell during the dead of night at Fort Raim?
(a) He is completely silent.
(b) He screams.
(c) He makes an animal cry.
(d) A low whistle, which most people wouldn't even notice.
5. How does the Count feel about Scud East?
(a) He thinks of East as a son.
(b) He thinks East is soft and doesn't like him much.
(c) He wishes East were his son-in-law.
(d) He doesn't really care one way or another.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Flashman say he will finally feel safe?
2. What drives the serfs to finally revolt against Count Pencherjevsky?
3. What is the name of the man that Flashman relieves when he arrives in the cell?
4. How do the two other prisoners at Fort Raim talk to each other?
5. Why does Flashman believe Scud East abandoned him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Flashman might consider his predicament in Chapter 8 as "poetic justice".
2. Explain how Flashman and East end up taking Valla with them on their escape.
3. How does Flashman describe the passage through the Arabian Nights?
4. Describe what happened with the priest and the political agitator, Blank.
5. Explain why Izzat Kutebar feels slightly ashamed of the way that he, Flashman and Yakub Beg were rescued from Fort Raim.
6. How does East feel when Flashman throw's Valla overboard? Describe his reaction.
7. What obstacles must East and Flashman overcome in order to make a successful escape?
8. What are the events that occur during the peasant rebellion, which allow Flashman and East to escape?
9. How does Flashman try to get out of helping Yakub Beg and his people fight the Russians?
10. How does Flashman describe the landscape as they escape in Chapter 7?
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)