|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the peasant uprising opportune for East and Flashman?
(a) Because they need to escape to pass on information.
(b) Because Flashman has impregnated Valla.
(c) Because Flashman hasn't impreganted Valla.
(d) Because they are both getting very bored in Russia.
2. What is the purpose of Aunt Sara introducing Flashman to the Russian steam bath?
(a) To warm him up from the bitter Russian cold.
(b) To get him to relax.
(c) To get him to bathe himself.
(d) To seduce him and test his virility.
3. Who does Flashman blame for him learning about Item 7?
(a) Scud East.
(b) Aunt Sara.
(d) Count Pencherjevsky.
4. What language do the two other prisoners speak, and how does Flashman know?
(a) They speak French, which Flashman understands perfectly.
(b) They speak Persian, which Flashman understands perfectly.
(c) They speak Russian, which Flashman understands perfectly.
(d) They speak English.
5. Who puts Valla in Flashman's care during the peasant uprising?
(a) Aunt Sara.
(b) Count Ignatieff.
(c) Count Pencherjevsky.
(d) Scud East.
Short Answer Questions
1. Yakub Beg tells Flashman that he is the first foreigner to what?
2. What does East want to do with the information about Item 7?
3. How long is Flashman guaranteed life for while in captivity with the Russians?
4. What drives the serfs to finally revolt against Count Pencherjevsky?
5. Where do Flashman, East and Valla first refuel and get supplies during their escape?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Flashman describe the passage through the Arabian Nights?
2. Explain why Flashman might consider his predicament in Chapter 8 as "poetic justice".
3. Explain why East left Flashman to the Russians.
4. Describe why Flashman feels comforted by the desert.
5. How does Flashman try to get out of helping Yakub Beg and his people fight the Russians?
6. Describe what happened with the priest and the political agitator, Blank.
7. Describe how Flashman sees his arrival in India going in Chapter 10.
8. How does the Silk One react to Flashman's reasoning for not wanting to help Yakub Beg and his people fight the Russians?
9. Explain how Flashman and East end up taking Valla with them on their escape.
10. Explain why Flashman is momentarily wary of seeing Scud East at Pencherjevsky's estate.
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)