|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Once Flashman gets to mainland Russia, where do they keep him?
(a) At a local police station.
(b) On a country estate.
(c) In a prison.
(d) He never goes to mainland Russia.
2. Why does Flashman teach Cutts a lesson at the pool hall?
(a) Because Cutts was trying to get involved romantically with his wife.
(b) Because Cutts insulted his wife.
(c) Because Cutts insulted Lord Cardigan.
(d) Because he hustled a game of pool and took 15 pounds from a greenhorn.
3. What is the "white terror" in Russia?
(a) White slaves.
(b) The secret police.
(d) A type of disease, like the plague.
4. What amuses Flashy about Prince William?
(a) His clumsiness while losing his virginity to a prostitute.
(b) That he is so eager to meet a prostitute.
(c) That Prince William has a crush on Elspeth.
(d) Prince William is a great story teller and can make Flashy laugh.
5. What does Flashman say is common practice when a staff galloper is given a written message?
(a) To ask if there are any verbal instructions or messages.
(b) The run as fast as they can to deliver the message.
(c) To only travel at night to deliver the message.
(d) To borrow a horse from the cavalry in order to deliver the message.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is in the locket that Willy has around his neck?
2. What does Raglan do with Flashman after the tragedy?
3. How does Flashman meet Captain Count Nicholas Pavlovitch Ignatieff?
4. Why is Flashman's wife mortified?
5. Why doesn't Lord Raglan like beards?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Elspeth reacts when Flashman confronts her about catching her almost cheating on him with Lord Cardigan.
2. What reason does Flashman give for being jealous after seeing Elspeth's interaction with Lord Cardigan?
3. Describe the scene in Varna when Flashman and Willy arrived.
4. Explain how Flashy helped the young naive "greenhorn" in the pool hall beat Cutts in a game of pool. Why did he help the greenhorn?
5. Does Flashman believe his wife when she claims she didn't know that Lord Cardigan would be in her room? Explain why or why not.
6. What reason is given for Lord Cardigan kicking Flashy out of the 11th Hussars 14 years earlier?
7. Describe Elspeth's reaction when she finds out that Flashy has signed up with the Board of Ordnance instead of his old regiment the Hussars.
8. Explain the brutal incident that Flashman witnesses near the estate where he is to stay as a prisoner of war.
9. How does Flashy describe the Board of Ordnance, and how does he decide to get through it?
10. How does Flashman react when Willy states that he wants a whore?
This section contains 975 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)