|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the man that Flashman relieves when he arrives in the cell?
(a) The Silk One
(b) Flashman can't understand his name.
(c) Yakub Beg
(d) Izzat Kutebar
2. How does Flashman portray Aunt Sara?
(a) As very shrewd.
(b) As very loud and boisterous.
(c) As very quiet and slightly horse-faced.
(d) As beautiful, but a little old for his taste.
3. Where is Flashman caught geographically after his escape from Starovosk?
(a) At Yenitchi.
(b) At Starotorsk.
(c) On the "Arrow of Arabat."
(d) They don't catch him, he gets away!
4. Who does Count Pencherjevsky's family consist of?
(a) Himself, his wife and his daughter, Valla.
(b) Himself and his daughter only.
(c) Himself only; he doesn't think much of women.
(d) Himself, his daughter Valla, and Aunt Sara.
5. What is Flashman doing when East alerts him to danger during their escape?
(a) Buttoning up his pants.
(c) Daydreaming about Elspeth.
(d) Keeping look-out.
6. What does the Silk One call Flashman?
(a) A very brave man.
(b) A fool.
(c) An infidel.
(d) A coward.
7. What does the Silk One do to help persuade Flashman to fight?
(a) She tells him she loves him.
(b) She yells at him.
(c) She says nothing, and he feels guilty.
(d) She seduces him.
8. When Flashman finally goes to his cell after witnessing the "demonstration", why does he feel relieved?
(a) Flashman is relieved he wasn't knouted.
(b) Flashman is eager to plan his esacpe.
(c) Flashman is happy to get away from Count Ignatieff's evil eyes.
(d) Flashman just wants to get some sleep.
9. Once they arrive in Syr Daria, where is Flashman placed?
(a) In a jail at Fort Raim with two other prisoners.
(b) Flashman is chained to two Cossacks at all times.
(c) Flashman has a specially guarded tent.
(d) Flashman is handcuffed to Ignatieff at all times.
10. Why does one of the other prisoners tell Flashman to "take heart"?
(a) He tells Flashman that if could be worse, he could get knouted.
(b) He tells Flashman that it could be worse, he could be dead.
(c) He thanks Flashman profusely for helping him and tells Flashman to take his heart.
(d) He tells Flashman that he might be luckier than he knew.
11. Why does Count Ignatieff warn Flashman not to expect any mercy from them?
(a) Because Flashman is too cowardly for mercy.
(b) Because they don't believe in mercy.
(c) Because Flashman broke his promise and tried to escape.
(d) Because Counter Pencherjevsky is too nice to Flashman.
12. Why is Kutebar in the cell?
(a) Because he got drunk and picked fight with the Russians.
(b) Because he tried to rescue Yakub Beg.
(c) Because he tried to rescue the Silk One.
(d) Because he stole from the Russians.
13. After the Russian steam bath, what does Count Pencherjevsky propose to Flashman?
(a) That Flashman try to make an escape.
(b) That Flashman should take baths more often.
(c) That Flashman sleep with Valla and try to get her pregnant.
(d) That Flashman sleep with Aunt Sara and try to get her pregnant.
14. What makes Flashman re-think rebelling against the work he is doing in the cell?
(a) He has nothing better to do.
(b) He knows he needs these guys.
(c) Yakub Beg's screams of agony.
(d) One look at Kutebar's face.
15. How does the Count feel about Scud East?
(a) He thinks East is soft and doesn't like him much.
(b) He thinks of East as a son.
(c) He doesn't really care one way or another.
(d) He wishes East were his son-in-law.
Short Answer Questions
1. Flashman goes snooping through East's writings and discovers a long letter to whom?
2. What is the danger that East heard?
3. What does Flashman admire about Count Pencherjevsky?
4. After the rescue, where do the Tajiks take Flashman after riding for hours?
5. What does Flashman lie to Valla about?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)