|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What fate awaits Flashman when he is captured after his escape attempt?
2. When the Russians surround Flashman, what does he say he is waiting for?
(a) A hot drink of brandy.
(b) Valla to come save him.
(c) A flogging.
(d) The pierce of a lance.
3. When the Russian Soldiers come upon Flashman in the snow, what do they do?
(a) They knock him unconscious.
(b) They kill him.
(c) They send him back to Pencherjevsky's estate.
(d) They leave him to be eaten by the wolves.
4. Where do Flashman and Scud East know each other from?
(a) The 11th Hussars.
(b) Rugby school.
(c) The army.
(d) Scud was once a potential suitor for Elspeth.
5. Where does Flashman say he will finally feel safe?
(a) Only when he is back in Elspeth's arms.
(b) Only when he reaches London and his favorite ale house.
(c) Only when Count Ignatieff is dead.
(d) Only when he is able to get the news of the Russian invasion to his commanders.
6. What makes Flashman re-think rebelling against the work he is doing in the cell?
(a) He knows he needs these guys.
(b) One look at Kutebar's face.
(c) Yakub Beg's screams of agony.
(d) He has nothing better to do.
7. What does Flashman lie to Valla about?
(a) Flashman tells Valla that her father is safe.
(b) Flashman tells Valla that he is single.
(c) Flashman tells Valla that he is taking her to England.
(d) Flashman tells Valla that he will be leaving her with Count Ignatieff.
8. What does Flashman admire about Count Pencherjevsky?
(a) His brutish manner.
(b) His taste for fine things.
(c) His record as a solider.
(d) His treatment of the serfs.
9. What language do the two other prisoners speak, and how does Flashman know?
(a) They speak Persian, which Flashman understands perfectly.
(b) They speak French, which Flashman understands perfectly.
(c) They speak English.
(d) They speak Russian, which Flashman understands perfectly.
10. How do East and Flashman manage the 5 to 6 hour sled ride to Yenitchi without freezing to death?
(a) They sit closely to each other for warmth.
(b) They take turns driving.
(c) They both lie closely to Valla.
(d) They drink copious amounts of brandy.
11. What does East want to do with the information about Item 7?
(a) He wants to buy the carraige for Valla himself.
(b) He wants to escape and get the information to Lord Raglan.
(c) He wants to stay and try to woo Valla.
(d) He wants to stay and learn more about future invasions.
12. Who is the Silk One's father?
(a) They don't know.
(b) Ko Dali.
(c) Yakub Beg.
13. What is Flashman's survival strategy for when the odds are against him?
(a) To focus.
(b) To have a positive attitude.
(c) To stay calm and cheat.
(d) To win over his captors.
14. How does Flashman wake up on the second night of being in the cell?
(a) He wakes up sweating from a terrible nightmare.
(b) With Kutebar's hairy paw over his mouth to quiet him.
(c) He hears screaming and awakes ready to fight.
15. After the rescue, where do the Tajiks take Flashman after riding for hours?
(a) Back to Russia.
(b) To India.
(c) To Afghanistan.
(d) An oasis deep in the Red Sands of Kizil Kum.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Count Ignatieff warn Flashman not to expect any mercy from them?
2. How does Flashman portray Aunt Sara?
3. Why does Scud invite Flashman outside to go for a walk to talk?
4. What does Count Pencherjevsky believe is the main reason for serf uprisings?
5. Where is Flashman caught geographically after his escape from Starovosk?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)