|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Broadfoot say he wants to hear more about?
2. How does Lawrence claim Jeendan was taken out of court?
3. What do the Khalsa demand from Jeendan?
4. How does Flash notify Gardner that they are approaching?
5. What is Van Cortlandt's rank?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jeendan shock the soldiers in this section?
2. Why is Flash relieved to hear Broadfoot has been killed in battle?
3. What are the three mens' plan to get inside the palace?
4. How does Hardinge embarrass Flash in this section?
5. What events does Flash hear about among the opposition?
6. What plans does Broadfoot say he has for Flash?
7. In what could Flashman's situation in this section be called ironic?
8. How does Flash argue against Lawrence sending him to Lahore?
9. What does Flash suggest Singh tells the general if they don't agree with his plan?
10. What plans does Lawrence say he has for Flash?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
What is the history of Punjab? How has the area evolved since the 1850s? How accurate is the author's representation of Punjab?
Essay Topic 3
Why do historians think Singh retreated instead of moving in and defeating the British? What does it say about the difficulties of representing history, and that there are different perspectives rather than one truth?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)