|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do the Khalsa want to murder?
2. What does Flash begin shouting in the hope a passerby will hear him?
3. Where does Flash say the fate of India is decided?
4. What does Gough tell Hardinge is his rank?
5. How does Flash notify Gardner that they are approaching?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Flash think will be the cause of the British defeat?
2. What does Flash overhear the British officers saying about him?
3. What plans does Broadfoot say he has for Flash?
4. How does Flashman plan to get Dalip out of the palace unnoticed?
5. Why is Flash so impressed with Dalip in this section?
6. Why does Gardner want Flash to travel with the Khalsa?
7. Why does Flash decide to stay in his current position?
8. What does Flash suggest Singh tells the general if they don't agree with his plan?
9. What does flash see from his position on the north bank?
10. What is Hardinge disgusted about in this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way is Flash similar in character to both Gardner and Jessa? Why do the students think Flash seems to identify with Jessa more? In what way does this highlight Flash's alleged cowardice? What is the purpose of the author seemingly using Gardner and Jessa as reflections of Flashman's own character?
Essay Topic 2
Pick a character from the book and discuss his or her goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)