|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What language did Dr. Johnson learn at the age of seventy?
2. What is Maglas's relationship to Singh?
3. Who does the seven-year-old boy say he has come to see?
4. What kind of animal takes Flash to the meeting?
5. What does Jeendan want Flash to witness?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has the Queen summoned Flash and Elspeth?
2. What part does the Koh-i-Noor paly in this section?
3. Why does Gardner say Jawaheer ordered Flashman's assassination?
4. What does Jeendan want Flashman to tell Broadfoot?
5. What does Flash overhear from under the billiard table?
6. Why is Flashman grateful the court is moving to Amritsar?
7. Why does Flash think war between the Khalsa and the British is unavoidable?
8. Why does Khan decide to torture Flashman?
9. How does Flash avoid the swordsmen in this section?
10. How does Flashman almost die in this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do people think Flash has achieved? In what way does Flash's own view of himself contradict how the public sees him? How would someone like Flash be represented in the media today?
Essay Topic 2
Why do historians think Singh retreated instead of moving in and defeating the British? What does it say about the difficulties of representing history, and that there are different perspectives rather than one truth?
Essay Topic 3
Why were the British so interested in Lahore? What do the natives think of the British presence in Lahore? In what way did the British presence cause conflict between the natives?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)