Explanatory Note and Chapters 1 & 2 (pages 6-35 and endnotes)
1. Who is Flash talking to at the beginning of the novel?
(a) The Prince of Wales.
(b) Queen Victoria.
(c) King George.
(d) Queen Elizabeth II.
2. What language can Elspeth speak well enough to get her through customs?
3. What language did Dr. Johnson learn at the age of seventy?
4. What does Flash say inspired this memoir?
(a) A poor rendition of the same story.
(b) A rodeo show.
(c) His visit to the Queen.
(d) His wife's nagging.
5. Who does Flash describe as artless?
(a) Queen Victoria.
6. What does Queen Victoria want Flash and Elspeth's advice about?
(a) Her son's wedding.
(b) The coronation.
(c) The Jubilee.
(d) Her daughter's wedding.
7. What berry does Flash compare the Queen's eyes to?
(a) A raspberry.
(b) A gooseberry.
(c) A strawberry.
(d) A blackberry.
8. What does the Queen say the nabobs call the diamond?
(a) Die Hard.
(b) The Sparkling Fool.
(c) The Fountain of Youth.
(d) The Mountain of Light.
This section contains 3,398 words
(approx. 12 pages at 300 words per page)