Explanatory Note and Chapters 1 & 2 (pages 6-35 and endnotes)
• Flashman and wife meet with Queen Victoria. The Queen wants advice about a diamond called Koh-i-Noor and how it was set and worn.
• Flash thinks back to the time he first encountered the diamond in Punjab.
• Flashman went back to India for a second time in 1845 and after promising he would never go back again.
• In India Flashman initially stays with General Sale and his wife. Here Flash befriends a woman called Mrs. Madison and takes her into the Sale's billiard room for sex, but midway through Sale, George Broadfoot, Harry Havelock, Hugh Gough and Prince Waldemar enter the room. From under the billiard table Flash overhears them talking about offering him a job either as a soldier or an administrator.
Chapters 3 & 4 (pages 36-61 and endnotes)
• Thinking it is the safer option, Flashman applies for a political service...
This section contains 1,728 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)