|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which artist pushed the boundaries on sex and violence on film?
2. From what year was a diary entry discovered as having discussed the beginnings of projections?
3. What was Harold Lloyd's trademark?
4. For what reason did many great artists leave Europe for America in the 1930s?
5. What was Harry Langdon's film persona?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was David Wark Griffith?
2. Discuss the innovative techniques developed by Alfred Hitchcock, Jean Cocteau, and Jean Renoir.
3. How did Hollywood join the war effort in the forties?
4. Describe the film industry in the USSR after the first World War.
5. How did the House of Un-American Activities Committee bring Hollywood's booming economy and artistic success to a screeching halt in the late forties?
6. Who were some of the great directors and their innovative storytelling techniques from Hollywood in the 1940s?
7. What were some of the themes explored in both French and Spanish films?
8. How did the Production Code come into existence and what were some of the effects it had on films?
9. How did the film industry begin to suffer after the advent of talkies?
10. Who were some of the great entertainers that emerged from the talkies in the early years of the film industry that helped revitalize the audience's flagging interest and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What were some of the obstacles and dangers faced by filmmakers who haled from the film industries of the Third World and in Islamic cinema?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the rise of Latin American and Irish cinema in the last years of the twentieth century and the first years of the new millennium.
Essay Topic 3
How did greed help shape Hollywood? In what ways did Eli Whitney and the Patent Company set the standard business model in Hollywood with the strict purpose of making more money?
This section contains 1,296 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)