|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was one reason comedy shorts became so popular in the 1920s?
2. What influenced the audience's desire for music and voices to be added to films?
3. What group was formed in 1908 with the intention to further develop the Kinetoscope technology?
4. In what decade were silent films perfected?
5. Which director, during America in the 1940s, became renowned for film adaptations of literature?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the early days of the film industry, how did Griffith and others begin making their films more appealing to widespread audiences?
2. Describe the film industry in the USSR after the first World War.
3. Aside from the Kinetoscope, what were some early advances in technology that led to the creation of the moving picture?
4. Who were some of the great entertainers that emerged from the talkies in the early years of the film industry that helped revitalize the audience's flagging interest and why?
5. What led to the mass migration of film production from New York and New Jersey to California?
6. How did the Film D'Art come to be?
7. What were the differences between early films from the United States and Europe?
8. Discuss the financial status of American films and how this led to the rise of the studios during the early years of Hollywood's Golden Age of the Studio.
9. What were some of the themes explored in both French and Spanish films?
10. How did the Production Code come into existence and what were some of the effects it had on films?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the first several decades of film took place in the midst of several wars, what responsibility did the filmmakers have to their audiences? How did the roles of these directors change from the United States to Europe? How did filmmakers handle the world wars when faced with Nazi persecution?
Essay Topic 2
How did greed help shape Hollywood? In what ways did Eli Whitney and the Patent Company set the standard business model in Hollywood with the strict purpose of making more money?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the effects of television on the film industry.
This section contains 1,353 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)