|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What visual effect did Abel Gance develop?
2. Which artist pushed the boundaries on sex and violence on film?
3. What was Harry Langdon's film persona?
4. What aspect of the newly-heard dialogue in the Golden Age made audiences uneasy?
5. Which director, during America in the 1940s, became renowned for film adaptations of literature?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was David Wark Griffith?
2. In the early days of the film industry, how did Griffith and others begin making their films more appealing to widespread audiences?
3. Discuss the financial status of American films and how this led to the rise of the studios during the early years of Hollywood's Golden Age of the Studio.
4. How did the Film D'Art come to be?
5. Aside from the Kinetoscope, what were some early advances in technology that led to the creation of the moving picture?
6. Describe the film industry in the USSR after the first World War.
7. How did the House of Un-American Activities Committee bring Hollywood's booming economy and artistic success to a screeching halt in the late forties?
8. How did the differing situations in both Europe and America in the thirties ultimately influence the film industry?
9. How did studios cater to the audience's wishes in the Golden Age of the Studio.
10. How did the film industry begin to suffer after the advent of talkies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What were some of the obstacles and dangers faced by filmmakers who haled from the film industries of the Third World and in Islamic cinema?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways did the economy determine and depend upon the successes of the film industry in both war and peace time?
Essay Topic 3
How did the inclusion of violence and sexual content change over the years of the film industry's existence? How did the allowance vary from country to country? In what ways did these restrictions (or lack thereof) reveal the cultural divide between different countries?
This section contains 1,267 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)