|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What studio did William Fox and Carl Laemmle eventually form?
2. In what year did Edison help to open a Kinetoscope parlor?
3. In what style did the French produce their films?
4. From what entertainment aspect did Orson Welles tap in order to innovate the ways films were made?
5. Which world-class, renowned filmmaker stayed made propaganda films for Hitler?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the position of film producer become part of the filmmaking process?
2. How did the House of Un-American Activities Committee bring Hollywood's booming economy and artistic success to a screeching halt in the late forties?
3. What were some of the themes explored in both French and Spanish films?
4. How did the advent of "talkies" change both technical and acting aspects of film?
5. Aside from the Kinetoscope, what were some early advances in technology that led to the creation of the moving picture?
6. How did Hollywood join the war effort in the forties?
7. Who were some of the great directors and their innovative storytelling techniques from Hollywood in the 1940s?
8. Who was David Wark Griffith?
9. What led to the mass migration of film production from New York and New Jersey to California?
10. Who were some of the popular stars from the 1920s and of what did their acts consist?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the French New Wave movement affect cinema in different countries and in different eras?
Essay Topic 2
How did greed help shape Hollywood? In what ways did Eli Whitney and the Patent Company set the standard business model in Hollywood with the strict purpose of making more money?
Essay Topic 3
How did Europe's film industries recover from World War II? How were their recoveries helped or hampered by the Soviet Union? In what ways were these recoveries indicative of the culture of that country?
This section contains 1,182 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)