|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sort of films did Jean Cocteau create in France in the 1930s?
2. What group was formed in 1908 with the intention to further develop the Kinetoscope technology?
3. During World War II, which director became known for his films that examined sex, greed, and the inherent sadism of humans?
4. During the Golden Age, what now-famous aspects of films came from artists such as Busby Berkeley and Fred Astaire?
5. From what year was a diary entry discovered as having discussed the beginnings of projections?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were popular themes in early German films?
2. Aside from the Kinetoscope, what were some early advances in technology that led to the creation of the moving picture?
3. Who were some of the great directors and their innovative storytelling techniques from Hollywood in the 1940s?
4. How did the film industry begin to suffer after the advent of talkies?
5. How did the House of Un-American Activities Committee bring Hollywood's booming economy and artistic success to a screeching halt in the late forties?
6. How did studios cater to the audience's wishes in the Golden Age of the Studio.
7. Why did so many artists leave Europe in the thirties and how did this effect the film industry?
8. How did the advent of "talkies" change both technical and acting aspects of film?
9. Who were some of the popular stars from the 1920s and of what did their acts consist?
10. Describe the film industry in the USSR after the first World War.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the rise of Latin American and Irish cinema in the last years of the twentieth century and the first years of the new millennium.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of censorship in the film industry.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the effects of television on the film industry.
This section contains 1,227 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)