|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Through what did Jean Louis Meissonier project Muybridge's work?
2. Filmmaker Jean Renoir was the son of what influential artist?
3. By what year did "talkies" take over Hollywood?
4. Which of the following words can be used to describe the films that were produced during the early years of the Golden Age?
5. What was Harry Langdon's film persona?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did studios cater to the audience's wishes in the Golden Age of the Studio.
2. How did the film industry begin to suffer after the advent of talkies?
3. What were the differences between early films from the United States and Europe?
4. Who were some of the great directors and their innovative storytelling techniques from Hollywood in the 1940s?
5. Discuss the financial status of American films and how this led to the rise of the studios during the early years of Hollywood's Golden Age of the Studio.
6. Who was David Wark Griffith?
7. How did the governor of California's commission for horse photography develop into Meissonier's project in creating the illusion of moving pictures?
8. In the early days of the film industry, how did Griffith and others begin making their films more appealing to widespread audiences?
9. What were some of the themes explored in both French and Spanish films?
10. Describe the film industry in the USSR after the first World War.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Europe's film industries recover from World War II? How were their recoveries helped or hampered by the Soviet Union? In what ways were these recoveries indicative of the culture of that country?
Essay Topic 2
What were some of the obstacles and dangers faced by filmmakers who haled from the film industries of the Third World and in Islamic cinema?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the evolution of acting, from the silent film star to the Method actor and even to the modern megastar.
This section contains 1,236 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)