|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1947, what did the House of Un-American Activities Committee began to investigate?
2. In what decade were silent films perfected?
3. Which artist pushed the boundaries on sex and violence on film?
4. For what reason did many great artists leave Europe for America in the 1930s?
5. Which company became renowned for their animation in the early years of World War II?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Production Code come into existence and what were some of the effects it had on films?
2. How did the House of Un-American Activities Committee bring Hollywood's booming economy and artistic success to a screeching halt in the late forties?
3. How did the film industry begin to suffer after the advent of talkies?
4. Aside from the Kinetoscope, what were some early advances in technology that led to the creation of the moving picture?
5. How did the governor of California's commission for horse photography develop into Meissonier's project in creating the illusion of moving pictures?
6. How did studios cater to the audience's wishes in the Golden Age of the Studio.
7. How did the Film D'Art come to be?
8. In the early days of the film industry, how did Griffith and others begin making their films more appealing to widespread audiences?
9. Why did so many artists leave Europe in the thirties and how did this effect the film industry?
10. What were the differences between early films from the United States and Europe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the French New Wave movement affect cinema in different countries and in different eras?
Essay Topic 2
How did greed help shape Hollywood? In what ways did Eli Whitney and the Patent Company set the standard business model in Hollywood with the strict purpose of making more money?
Essay Topic 3
How did the inclusion of violence and sexual content change over the years of the film industry's existence? How did the allowance vary from country to country? In what ways did these restrictions (or lack thereof) reveal the cultural divide between different countries?
This section contains 1,313 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)