|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the studios bowed to pressure from outside groups during the Golden Age, what was one of the effects seen on the gangster movies?
2. In what style did the French produce their films?
3. In 1947, what did the House of Un-American Activities Committee began to investigate?
4. The two main regions involved in film production before the move to California were New York and _________.
5. In the first several decades of the film industry, European films focused on the artists, while American films focused on the _______.
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the differences between early films from the United States and Europe?
2. How did the governor of California's commission for horse photography develop into Meissonier's project in creating the illusion of moving pictures?
3. Discuss the innovative techniques developed by Alfred Hitchcock, Jean Cocteau, and Jean Renoir.
4. How did the Film D'Art come to be?
5. Aside from the Kinetoscope, what were some early advances in technology that led to the creation of the moving picture?
6. How did the advent of "talkies" change both technical and acting aspects of film?
7. Discuss the financial status of American films and how this led to the rise of the studios during the early years of Hollywood's Golden Age of the Studio.
8. Why did so many artists leave Europe in the thirties and how did this effect the film industry?
9. In the early days of the film industry, how did Griffith and others begin making their films more appealing to widespread audiences?
10. How did the differing situations in both Europe and America in the thirties ultimately influence the film industry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the politics of the Third World countries try to prevent the film industries from growing? Discuss the difficulties and dangers the filmmakers would encounter, as well as the issues they had with marketing the film to an international audience.
Essay Topic 2
How did the inclusion of violence and sexual content change over the years of the film industry's existence? How did the allowance vary from country to country? In what ways did these restrictions (or lack thereof) reveal the cultural divide between different countries?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the detrimental effects of the studio system on the creative process.
This section contains 1,306 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)