|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Through what did Jean Louis Meissonier project Muybridge's work?
2. What was Harry Langdon's film persona?
3. Upon whose model of mass production did the Hollywood studio system manufacture films in the Golden Age?
4. Which world-class, renowned filmmaker stayed made propaganda films for Hitler?
5. What was one of the biggest threats to the film industry in the 1930s?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the governor of California's commission for horse photography develop into Meissonier's project in creating the illusion of moving pictures?
2. Discuss the financial status of American films and how this led to the rise of the studios during the early years of Hollywood's Golden Age of the Studio.
3. Who were some of the popular stars from the 1920s and of what did their acts consist?
4. Why did so many artists leave Europe in the thirties and how did this effect the film industry?
5. Who was David Wark Griffith?
6. Aside from the Kinetoscope, what were some early advances in technology that led to the creation of the moving picture?
7. What were some of the themes explored in both French and Spanish films?
8. What were popular themes in early German films?
9. What led to the mass migration of film production from New York and New Jersey to California?
10. What were the differences between early films from the United States and Europe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did greed help shape Hollywood? In what ways did Eli Whitney and the Patent Company set the standard business model in Hollywood with the strict purpose of making more money?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the different European film movements and effects on the industries of different countries.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of censorship in the film industry.
This section contains 1,120 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)