|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the Golden Age, what now-famous aspects of films came from artists such as Busby Berkeley and Fred Astaire?
2. From what year was a diary entry discovered as having discussed the beginnings of projections?
3. With what film technique did European filmmakers begin experimenting?
4. In what style did the French produce their films?
5. What was the standard amount of time devoted to creating a picture during David Wark Griffith's development of film?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the governor of California's commission for horse photography develop into Meissonier's project in creating the illusion of moving pictures?
2. What were popular themes in early German films?
3. Discuss the innovative techniques developed by Alfred Hitchcock, Jean Cocteau, and Jean Renoir.
4. How did studios cater to the audience's wishes in the Golden Age of the Studio.
5. Who were some of the great directors and their innovative storytelling techniques from Hollywood in the 1940s?
6. Who were some of the great entertainers that emerged from the talkies in the early years of the film industry that helped revitalize the audience's flagging interest and why?
7. How did the advent of "talkies" change both technical and acting aspects of film?
8. How did the position of film producer become part of the filmmaking process?
9. How did the House of Un-American Activities Committee bring Hollywood's booming economy and artistic success to a screeching halt in the late forties?
10. How did the differing situations in both Europe and America in the thirties ultimately influence the film industry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the politics of the Third World countries try to prevent the film industries from growing? Discuss the difficulties and dangers the filmmakers would encounter, as well as the issues they had with marketing the film to an international audience.
Essay Topic 2
In what ways did the economy determine and depend upon the successes of the film industry in both war and peace time?
Essay Topic 3
Consider the first several decades of film took place in the midst of several wars, what responsibility did the filmmakers have to their audiences? How did the roles of these directors change from the United States to Europe? How did filmmakers handle the world wars when faced with Nazi persecution?
This section contains 1,366 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)