|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what reason did many great artists leave Europe for America in the 1930s?
2. What was created in order to satisfy the demands of the Catholic Church (among others) in the 1930s?
3. Which company became renowned for their animation in the early years of World War II?
4. During the Golden Age, what part of the film was frequently lost in favor of the star performer's special skills?
5. With what film technique did European filmmakers begin experimenting?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the innovative techniques developed by Alfred Hitchcock, Jean Cocteau, and Jean Renoir.
2. How did the House of Un-American Activities Committee bring Hollywood's booming economy and artistic success to a screeching halt in the late forties?
3. How did the governor of California's commission for horse photography develop into Meissonier's project in creating the illusion of moving pictures?
4. What led to the mass migration of film production from New York and New Jersey to California?
5. How did the differing situations in both Europe and America in the thirties ultimately influence the film industry?
6. What were the differences between early films from the United States and Europe?
7. Describe the film industry in the USSR after the first World War.
8. Who were some of the great entertainers that emerged from the talkies in the early years of the film industry that helped revitalize the audience's flagging interest and why?
9. How did the Film D'Art come to be?
10. How did the film industry begin to suffer after the advent of talkies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the evolution of acting, from the silent film star to the Method actor and even to the modern megastar.
Essay Topic 2
What were some of the obstacles and dangers faced by filmmakers who haled from the film industries of the Third World and in Islamic cinema?
Essay Topic 3
How did the social revolution of the sixties change the American film industry?
This section contains 1,235 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)