|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Upon whose model of mass production did the Hollywood studio system manufacture films in the Golden Age?
2. In what decade were silent films perfected?
3. Filmmaker Jean Renoir was the son of what influential artist?
4. With what film technique did European filmmakers begin experimenting?
5. During the early days of World War II, why did Britain have trouble maintaining their film industry?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the differing situations in both Europe and America in the thirties ultimately influence the film industry?
2. What were popular themes in early German films?
3. Aside from the Kinetoscope, what were some early advances in technology that led to the creation of the moving picture?
4. In the early days of the film industry, how did Griffith and others begin making their films more appealing to widespread audiences?
5. Discuss the financial status of American films and how this led to the rise of the studios during the early years of Hollywood's Golden Age of the Studio.
6. Discuss the innovative techniques developed by Alfred Hitchcock, Jean Cocteau, and Jean Renoir.
7. What led to the mass migration of film production from New York and New Jersey to California?
8. Who were some of the great directors and their innovative storytelling techniques from Hollywood in the 1940s?
9. What were some of the themes explored in both French and Spanish films?
10. How did the position of film producer become part of the filmmaking process?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways did the economy determine and depend upon the successes of the film industry in both war and peace time?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways did Hollywood establish itself as a vital aspect of the American people during times of great turmoil? What does this suggest about the audience's need for escapism and reassurance? How did Hollywood help the country psychologically heal itself during the Great Depression?
Essay Topic 3
Consider the first several decades of film took place in the midst of several wars, what responsibility did the filmmakers have to their audiences? How did the roles of these directors change from the United States to Europe? How did filmmakers handle the world wars when faced with Nazi persecution?
This section contains 1,301 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)