|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helped Edison open a Kinetoscope parlor?
2. What sort of films did Jean Cocteau create in France in the 1930s?
3. The two main regions involved in film production before the move to California were New York and _________.
4. Which of the following was not one of the the Big Five studios in the Golden Age of the Studio?
5. Which director from Germany became known for his films about history with injections of off-handed comedy?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the advent of "talkies" change both technical and acting aspects of film?
2. Why did so many artists leave Europe in the thirties and how did this effect the film industry?
3. How did the governor of California's commission for horse photography develop into Meissonier's project in creating the illusion of moving pictures?
4. Discuss the innovative techniques developed by Alfred Hitchcock, Jean Cocteau, and Jean Renoir.
5. Describe the film industry in the USSR after the first World War.
6. How did the House of Un-American Activities Committee bring Hollywood's booming economy and artistic success to a screeching halt in the late forties?
7. What led to the mass migration of film production from New York and New Jersey to California?
8. In the early days of the film industry, how did Griffith and others begin making their films more appealing to widespread audiences?
9. What were the differences between early films from the United States and Europe?
10. Who was David Wark Griffith?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the effects of television on the film industry.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the rise of Latin American and Irish cinema in the last years of the twentieth century and the first years of the new millennium.
Essay Topic 3
How did cinema both aid and depict the struggles for equal rights in America?
This section contains 1,216 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)