|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what genre did RKO specialize during the Golden Age?
2. What did Meissonier's conversion of Muybridge's photographs create?
3. Who helped Edison open a Kinetoscope parlor?
4. Which of the following was not one of the main focuses of the film-making committees in the Golden Age of the Studio?
5. Why did the independent filmmakers head for California while the Patent Company existed?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the House of Un-American Activities Committee bring Hollywood's booming economy and artistic success to a screeching halt in the late forties?
2. Who were some of the popular stars from the 1920s and of what did their acts consist?
3. Who was David Wark Griffith?
4. What were the differences between early films from the United States and Europe?
5. What were some of the themes explored in both French and Spanish films?
6. In the early days of the film industry, how did Griffith and others begin making their films more appealing to widespread audiences?
7. How did the differing situations in both Europe and America in the thirties ultimately influence the film industry?
8. What led to the mass migration of film production from New York and New Jersey to California?
9. Discuss the financial status of American films and how this led to the rise of the studios during the early years of Hollywood's Golden Age of the Studio.
10. Discuss the innovative techniques developed by Alfred Hitchcock, Jean Cocteau, and Jean Renoir.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the rise of Latin American and Irish cinema in the last years of the twentieth century and the first years of the new millennium.
Essay Topic 2
How did the social revolution of the sixties change the American film industry?
Essay Topic 3
How did the blockbuster change the film industry forever in 1975? In what ways did the early blockbusters differ from the later ones? How did these tie into the film industry's need to pair up with commercial conglomerates for financial and marketing purposes?
This section contains 1,237 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)