|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Filmmaker Jean Renoir was the son of what influential artist?
2. What was Harold Lloyd's trademark?
3. What was created in order to satisfy the demands of the Catholic Church (among others) in the 1930s?
4. In England in the 1930s, what sociologist announced that films could be a powerful tool for social reform?
5. In what decade were silent films perfected?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did American and European studios start producing films together in the 1990s?
2. What were popular themes in early German films?
3. How did Germany's film industry attempt to recover from World War II?
4. Who were some of the great directors and their innovative storytelling techniques from Hollywood in the 1940s?
5. What led to the mass migration of film production from New York and New Jersey to California?
6. What was the Third Cinema theater realism?
7. What were the differences between early films from the United States and Europe?
8. As the studios declined with the invention of the television, how did Americans' tastes in film subject begin to change?
9. How did the political atmosphere of Hollywood changes in the 1990s?
10. In the 1970s, how did West Germany start to address their role in World War II?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the social revolution of the sixties change the American film industry?
Essay Topic 2
How did the French New Wave movement affect cinema in different countries and in different eras?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the different European film movements and effects on the industries of different countries.
This section contains 1,608 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)