|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the independent filmmakers head for California while the Patent Company existed?
2. As studios struggled to find the balance between pragmatism and idealism in the early decades of the Golden Age, which of the following people was not one of the great directors to innovate filmmaking in this period?
3. In what style did the French produce their films?
4. When Hitler came to power, what did Europe lose in their film industry?
5. What animal did Eadward Muybridge photograph?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were popular themes in early German films?
2. How did the Production Code come into existence and what were some of the effects it had on films?
3. In the early days of the film industry, how did Griffith and others begin making their films more appealing to widespread audiences?
4. How did the advent of "talkies" change both technical and acting aspects of film?
5. Discuss the innovative techniques developed by Alfred Hitchcock, Jean Cocteau, and Jean Renoir.
6. Who were some of the popular stars from the 1920s and of what did their acts consist?
7. How did the position of film producer become part of the filmmaking process?
8. How did the differing situations in both Europe and America in the thirties ultimately influence the film industry?
9. Discuss the financial status of American films and how this led to the rise of the studios during the early years of Hollywood's Golden Age of the Studio.
10. How did studios cater to the audience's wishes in the Golden Age of the Studio.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways did Hollywood establish itself as a vital aspect of the American people during times of great turmoil? What does this suggest about the audience's need for escapism and reassurance? How did Hollywood help the country psychologically heal itself during the Great Depression?
Essay Topic 2
How did the French New Wave movement affect cinema in different countries and in different eras?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways did the economy determine and depend upon the successes of the film industry in both war and peace time?
This section contains 1,412 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)