|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following comedians was not one of the silent film stars from the 1920s?
2. What was one reason comedy shorts became so popular in the 1920s?
3. In what style did the French produce their films?
4. What film helped open up the world to the power of British filmmaking in the 1930s?
5. With what film technique did European filmmakers begin experimenting?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the position of film producer become part of the filmmaking process?
2. Who were some of the popular stars from the 1920s and of what did their acts consist?
3. What were the differences between early films from the United States and Europe?
4. How did the Production Code come into existence and what were some of the effects it had on films?
5. Who were some of the great entertainers that emerged from the talkies in the early years of the film industry that helped revitalize the audience's flagging interest and why?
6. What led to the mass migration of film production from New York and New Jersey to California?
7. How did the film industry begin to suffer after the advent of talkies?
8. What were some of the themes explored in both French and Spanish films?
9. How did the differing situations in both Europe and America in the thirties ultimately influence the film industry?
10. What were popular themes in early German films?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the inclusion of violence and sexual content change over the years of the film industry's existence? How did the allowance vary from country to country? In what ways did these restrictions (or lack thereof) reveal the cultural divide between different countries?
Essay Topic 2
What were some of the obstacles and dangers faced by filmmakers who haled from the film industries of the Third World and in Islamic cinema?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways did the economy determine and depend upon the successes of the film industry in both war and peace time?
This section contains 1,268 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)