|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As studios struggled to find the balance between pragmatism and idealism in the early decades of the Golden Age, which of the following people was not one of the great directors to innovate filmmaking in this period?
2. What did the formation of the Patent Company force theaters showing their films to do?
3. By what year did "talkies" take over Hollywood?
4. For what reason did many great artists leave Europe for America in the 1930s?
5. What was Harry Langdon's film persona?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the early days of the film industry, how did Griffith and others begin making their films more appealing to widespread audiences?
2. What led to the mass migration of film production from New York and New Jersey to California?
3. Discuss the financial status of American films and how this led to the rise of the studios during the early years of Hollywood's Golden Age of the Studio.
4. What were the differences between early films from the United States and Europe?
5. Aside from the Kinetoscope, what were some early advances in technology that led to the creation of the moving picture?
6. How did the governor of California's commission for horse photography develop into Meissonier's project in creating the illusion of moving pictures?
7. How did the Production Code come into existence and what were some of the effects it had on films?
8. Who were some of the great entertainers that emerged from the talkies in the early years of the film industry that helped revitalize the audience's flagging interest and why?
9. Who were some of the popular stars from the 1920s and of what did their acts consist?
10. How did the House of Un-American Activities Committee bring Hollywood's booming economy and artistic success to a screeching halt in the late forties?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the effects of television on the film industry.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the evolution of acting, from the silent film star to the Method actor and even to the modern megastar.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the first several decades of film took place in the midst of several wars, what responsibility did the filmmakers have to their audiences? How did the roles of these directors change from the United States to Europe? How did filmmakers handle the world wars when faced with Nazi persecution?
This section contains 1,330 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)