|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which world-class, renowned filmmaker stayed made propaganda films for Hitler?
2. Which director became renowned for his use of long takes to evoke a darker mood?
3. What aspect of the newly-heard dialogue in the Golden Age made audiences uneasy?
4. Which of the following comedians was not one of the silent film stars from the 1920s?
5. What was one reason comedy shorts became so popular in the 1920s?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the early days of the film industry, how did Griffith and others begin making their films more appealing to widespread audiences?
2. Discuss the innovative techniques developed by Alfred Hitchcock, Jean Cocteau, and Jean Renoir.
3. How did the Production Code come into existence and what were some of the effects it had on films?
4. How did the film industry begin to suffer after the advent of talkies?
5. How did the Film D'Art come to be?
6. Aside from the Kinetoscope, what were some early advances in technology that led to the creation of the moving picture?
7. Who were some of the great entertainers that emerged from the talkies in the early years of the film industry that helped revitalize the audience's flagging interest and why?
8. How did studios cater to the audience's wishes in the Golden Age of the Studio.
9. How did the position of film producer become part of the filmmaking process?
10. How did the differing situations in both Europe and America in the thirties ultimately influence the film industry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways did Hollywood establish itself as a vital aspect of the American people during times of great turmoil? What does this suggest about the audience's need for escapism and reassurance? How did Hollywood help the country psychologically heal itself during the Great Depression?
Essay Topic 2
How did Europe's film industries recover from World War II? How were their recoveries helped or hampered by the Soviet Union? In what ways were these recoveries indicative of the culture of that country?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the different European film movements and effects on the industries of different countries.
This section contains 1,426 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)