Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What early realization helped films develop both special effects and story lines?
(a) Cameras could be operated by one man.
(b) Reels could be cut together.
(c) Filming the weather was not intriguing enough for audiences.
(d) The films should be longer.
2. In what era did early film begin to primarily grow?
(a) Nickelodean Era.
(b) Silent Era.
(c) Moving Era.
(d) Golden Era.
3. What were the only restrictions placed on directors in the 1920s?
(a) They had to stay within their budget.
(b) They were not allowed to take a bigger cut of the movie's profits than the actors.
(c) They could only use one "star" at a time.
(d) They had to work subliminal advertising into their films.
4. Who helped Edison open a Kinetoscope parlor?
(a) Norman Raff.
(b) William Dickson.
(c) Jean Louis Meissonier.
(d) Eadward Muybridge.
5. What event in America caused studios to realize that the movie-going public needed entertainment over grim realism?
(a) World War II.
(b) The Great Depression.
(d) World War I.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which director became renowned for his use of long takes to evoke a darker mood?
2. As the studios bowed to pressure from outside groups during the Golden Age, what was one of the effects seen on the gangster movies?
3. What group was formed in 1908 with the intention to further develop the Kinetoscope technology?
4. From what entertainment aspect did Orson Welles tap in order to innovate the ways films were made?
5. What sort of documentaries dominated the filmmaking business in America in the 1940s?
Short Essay Questions
1. What led to the mass migration of film production from New York and New Jersey to California?
2. Who were some of the great directors and their innovative storytelling techniques from Hollywood in the 1940s?
3. Who was Pedro Almodovar?
4. How and why did the quality of mass-produced films diminish in the 1980s?
5. Who were some of the top independent filmmakers of the 1990s and what were some of their works?
6. How did the Vietnam War change the culture of America in regards to Hollywood?
7. Describe the film industry in Ireland in the 1990s.
8. What were popular themes in early German films?
9. How did Germany's film industry attempt to recover from World War II?
10. How did the "New Model" come to be formed in 1985?
This section contains 1,224 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)