|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following comedians was not one of the silent film stars from the 1920s?
(a) Buster Keaton.
(b) Harold Lloyd.
(c) Charlie Chaplin.
(d) Lou Costello.
2. For what reason did many great artists leave Europe for America in the 1930s?
(a) Nazi persecution.
(b) Political exiling.
(c) Low production values.
(d) The studios lured them to America.
3. In what year did Edison help to open a Kinetoscope parlor?
4. What percentage of the American film industry's gross profits came from Great Britain in the early years of the industry?
5. When American films began to include sound (particularly dialogue), what sound effect uncomfortably highlighted the violence in most movies?
(d) Machine guns.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the only restrictions placed on directors in the 1920s?
2. What sort of documentaries dominated the filmmaking business in America in the 1940s?
3. Through what did Jean Louis Meissonier project Muybridge's work?
4. What was Charlie Chaplin's film persona?
5. In what era did early film begin to primarily grow?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the film industry begin to suffer after the advent of talkies?
2. Describe the film industry in the USSR after the first World War.
3. How did the position of film producer become part of the filmmaking process?
4. How did the differing situations in both Europe and America in the thirties ultimately influence the film industry?
5. Why did so many artists leave Europe in the thirties and how did this effect the film industry?
6. Who were some of the popular stars from the 1920s and of what did their acts consist?
7. How did studios cater to the audience's wishes in the Golden Age of the Studio.
8. In the early days of the film industry, how did Griffith and others begin making their films more appealing to widespread audiences?
9. What were popular themes in early German films?
10. Aside from the Kinetoscope, what were some early advances in technology that led to the creation of the moving picture?
This section contains 1,257 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)