|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which director from Germany became known for his films about history with injections of off-handed comedy?
(a) F.W. Murnau.
(b) Fritz Lang.
(c) Ernst Lubitsch.
(d) Sergei Einstein.
2. What studio did William Fox and Carl Laemmle eventually form?
3. When American films began to include sound (particularly dialogue), what sound effect uncomfortably highlighted the violence in most movies?
(b) Machine guns.
4. What was Harry Langdon's film persona?
(a) The tramp.
(b) The baby.
(c) The swashbuckler.
(d) The ladies' man.
5. What influenced the audience's desire for music and voices to be added to films?
(b) The terrible quality of the live music provided for the film.
(d) Charlie Chaplin's singing voice.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which director became renowned for his use of long takes to evoke a darker mood?
2. Which of the following was not one of the Little Three in the Golden Age of the Studio?
3. For what company did Griffith work?
4. Which artist pushed the boundaries on sex and violence on film?
5. During the early days of World War II, why did Britain have trouble maintaining their film industry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was David Wark Griffith?
2. How did the governor of California's commission for horse photography develop into Meissonier's project in creating the illusion of moving pictures?
3. In the early days of the film industry, how did Griffith and others begin making their films more appealing to widespread audiences?
4. How did the advent of "talkies" change both technical and acting aspects of film?
5. How did the film industry begin to suffer after the advent of talkies?
6. Why did so many artists leave Europe in the thirties and how did this effect the film industry?
7. Who were some of the great directors and their innovative storytelling techniques from Hollywood in the 1940s?
8. Describe the film industry in the USSR after the first World War.
9. What were popular themes in early German films?
10. Who were some of the popular stars from the 1920s and of what did their acts consist?
This section contains 1,221 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)