|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what genre did RKO specialize during the Golden Age?
2. What comedy team became popular (and necessary) during the studio's push for pure entertainment in the earlier decades of the Golden Age?
(a) Marx Brothers.
(b) Laurel and Hardy.
(c) Wilber and Woolsley.
(d) Abbott and Costello.
3. Which of the following was not one of the the Big Five studios in the Golden Age of the Studio?
(d) Warner Bros.
4. Upon whose model of mass production did the Hollywood studio system manufacture films in the Golden Age?
(a) Thomas Edison.
(b) Orson Welles.
(c) Eli Whitney.
(d) F.W. Murnau.
5. Which artist pushed the boundaries on sex and violence on film?
(a) Frida Kahlo.
(b) Fritz Lang.
(c) Salvador Dali.
(d) F.W. Murnau.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following comedians was not one of the silent film stars from the 1920s?
2. From what year was a diary entry discovered as having discussed the beginnings of projections?
3. What was one of the biggest threats to the film industry in the 1930s?
4. Which of the following was not one of the main focuses of the film-making committees in the Golden Age of the Studio?
5. What was created in order to satisfy the demands of the Catholic Church (among others) in the 1930s?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the financial status of American films and how this led to the rise of the studios during the early years of Hollywood's Golden Age of the Studio.
2. Who were some of the great entertainers that emerged from the talkies in the early years of the film industry that helped revitalize the audience's flagging interest and why?
3. How did the Film D'Art come to be?
4. Describe the film industry in the USSR after the first World War.
5. How did Hollywood join the war effort in the forties?
6. How did the position of film producer become part of the filmmaking process?
7. What were popular themes in early German films?
8. What were the differences between early films from the United States and Europe?
9. Who were some of the popular stars from the 1920s and of what did their acts consist?
10. What led to the mass migration of film production from New York and New Jersey to California?
This section contains 1,280 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)