|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 1947, what did the House of Un-American Activities Committee began to investigate?
(a) Labor laws.
(c) The roles of minorities in film.
(d) Nazi spies.
2. What was one reason comedy shorts became so popular in the 1920s?
(a) The actors all had scandalous lives.
(b) The tabloid era had begun.
(c) The audiences did not need to follow a plot.
(d) The stories were presented in serial format.
3. Which director became renowned for his use of long takes to evoke a darker mood?
(a) F.W. Murnau.
(b) Lev Kuleshov.
(c) Fritz Lang.
(d) Enst Lubitsch.
4. After what major event did film gain popularity in the USSR?
(a) World War I.
(b) Death of Rasputin.
(c) World War II.
(d) Russian Revolution.
5. For what company did Griffith work?
(c) Fields Inc.
Short Answer Questions
1. Filmmaker Jean Renoir was the son of what influential artist?
2. In England in the 1930s, what sociologist announced that films could be a powerful tool for social reform?
3. Through what did Jean Louis Meissonier project Muybridge's work?
4. From what year was a diary entry discovered as having discussed the beginnings of projections?
5. What was Harold Lloyd's trademark?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who were some of the popular stars from the 1920s and of what did their acts consist?
2. Who were some of the great entertainers that emerged from the talkies in the early years of the film industry that helped revitalize the audience's flagging interest and why?
3. Discuss the financial status of American films and how this led to the rise of the studios during the early years of Hollywood's Golden Age of the Studio.
4. In the early days of the film industry, how did Griffith and others begin making their films more appealing to widespread audiences?
5. How did studios cater to the audience's wishes in the Golden Age of the Studio.
6. Aside from the Kinetoscope, what were some early advances in technology that led to the creation of the moving picture?
7. Discuss the innovative techniques developed by Alfred Hitchcock, Jean Cocteau, and Jean Renoir.
8. Who were some of the great directors and their innovative storytelling techniques from Hollywood in the 1940s?
9. Who was David Wark Griffith?
10. How did the film industry begin to suffer after the advent of talkies?
This section contains 1,333 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)