|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which director became renowned for his use of long takes to evoke a darker mood?
(a) Lev Kuleshov.
(b) Enst Lubitsch.
(c) F.W. Murnau.
(d) Fritz Lang.
2. How large was the tax on foreign film earning in Britain after World War II?
3. What percentage of the American film industry's gross profits came from Great Britain in the early years of the industry?
4. What sort of documentaries dominated the filmmaking business in America in the 1940s?
(b) Actor's biographies.
5. With what film technique did European filmmakers begin experimenting?
(b) Special effects.
Short Answer Questions
1. What style of art influenced Alfred Hitchcock the most, particularly in his early work?
2. What sort of performers were ideal candidates for comedy shorts in the 1920s?
3. What animal did Eadward Muybridge photograph?
4. What did the formation of the Patent Company force theaters showing their films to do?
5. Why did the independent filmmakers head for California while the Patent Company existed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who were some of the great directors and their innovative storytelling techniques from Hollywood in the 1940s?
2. Discuss the financial status of American films and how this led to the rise of the studios during the early years of Hollywood's Golden Age of the Studio.
3. How did the differing situations in both Europe and America in the thirties ultimately influence the film industry?
4. How did studios cater to the audience's wishes in the Golden Age of the Studio.
5. Why did so many artists leave Europe in the thirties and how did this effect the film industry?
6. How did the advent of "talkies" change both technical and acting aspects of film?
7. Who were some of the great entertainers that emerged from the talkies in the early years of the film industry that helped revitalize the audience's flagging interest and why?
8. Describe the film industry in the USSR after the first World War.
9. How did the governor of California's commission for horse photography develop into Meissonier's project in creating the illusion of moving pictures?
10. How did Hollywood join the war effort in the forties?
This section contains 1,356 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)