|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Flashback: A Brief History of Film Chapters 1-4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what style did the French produce their films?
2. What did Griffith as a director discover that elevated films from being more than technical achievements?
(a) Special effects and lighting.
(b) Prohibition forced people into the theaters.
(d) Talented actors.
3. What was one reason comedy shorts became so popular in the 1920s?
(a) The stories were presented in serial format.
(b) The actors all had scandalous lives.
(c) The tabloid era had begun.
(d) The audiences did not need to follow a plot.
4. What did the formation of the Patent Company force theaters showing their films to do?
(a) Allow people to steal the original reels.
(b) Pay taxes to the company.
(c) Force women to sit in the shadows.
(d) Credit all films to the Patent Company.
5. What group was formed in 1908 with the intention to further develop the Kinetoscope technology?
(a) Actor's Equity.
(b) Screen Actors Guild.
(c) American Federation of Television and Radio Actors.
(d) The Film D'Art.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did Edison help to open a Kinetoscope parlor?
2. Who helped Edison open a Kinetoscope parlor?
3. By what year did "talkies" take over Hollywood?
4. Which director from Germany became known for his films about history with injections of off-handed comedy?
5. The two main regions involved in film production before the move to California were New York and _________.
This section contains 233 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)