|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name does Flashman give himself aboard the boat?
2. Where does Buck Robinson say he saw the wanted poster?
3. What is the name of the prosecutor's assistant?
4. What part of Flashman's body did Robinson's men shoot?
5. Who is Flashman with when Randolph asks to see him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Flashman find a job in Chapter 10?
2. How does Flashman's situation differ from Randolph's?
3. Why does Peter Omohundro present a problem in Chapter 9?
4. What does Anderson state that the plaintiff must show?
5. What does Lincoln tell Buck in Chapter 12?
6. What is Cassy's opinion of men?
7. What do Drusilla and Messalina recall in court?
8. What is John's relationship with his wife, Annie?
9. How do John and his men decide to deal with Flashman?
10. How does Flashman manage to escape the U.S. Navy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the values of the 1850s.
1. In what ways are the characters a product of their time?
2. How does the book express the changes America was going through at the time?
3. Does modern society share any values with 1850s Russia?
Essay Topic 2
Choose two of the following people and outline his/her influence on Flashman's life:
4. Abraham Lincoln.
Essay Topic 3
What were the arguments for and against slavery in the 1850s? What are Fraser's opinions on putting an end to slavery in the 1850s and how does he express them? Do you agree or disagree with Fraser's opinion?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)