|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the court say they want from Flashman?
2. What name does Flashman give himself aboard the boat?
3. How does Flashman say he is related to Tom Little?
4. What does Flashman say Marcellus Anderson is quick to do?
5. What does Baily say slavery divides?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Randolph killed in Chapter 9?
2. What does Cassy tell Flashman about her life thus far?
3. How does Flashman find a job in Chapter 10?
4. What is Cassy's opinion of men?
5. How does Flashman manage to escape the U.S. Navy?
6. What opinion does Lincoln give about slavery in Chapter 13?
7. How do Flashman and Cassy escape Buck Robinson and his men?
8. How do John and his men decide to deal with Flashman?
9. How does Flashman's situation differ from Randolph's?
10. What does Flashman think about Annie's refusal to socialize with him after sex?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way does Flashman's lifestyle show him as an anti-hero? How does Flashman's lifestyle go against English society during the 1850s? What does it say about British society in the 1850s that someone like Flashman could become famous?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the book's reception in three different countries including the country the book was written. How do their opinions about the books differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)