|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cassy say she was forced to work as at 13?
2. Who does Ohio law forbid people from aiding?
3. What does Flashman tell people was his former job?
4. What does the court say they want from Flashman?
5. What country does Baily think owns Balliol College?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Baily tell Flashman about slavery in America in Chapter 13?
2. How does Flashman deal with Omohundro?
3. What does Flashman think about Annie's refusal to socialize with him after sex?
4. How does Flashman find a job in Chapter 10?
5. What does Lincoln tell Buck in Chapter 12?
6. How do John and his men decide to deal with Flashman?
7. How does Flashman's situation differ from Randolph's?
8. How does Flashman manage to escape the U.S. Navy?
9. What is Cassy's opinion of men?
10. What opinion does Lincoln give about slavery in Chapter 13?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine sex in the book.
1. How do the characters in the book view sex?
2. How did 1850s American and British society view sex?
3. How did the public react to the book's sex when it was first published? How would the public react to a similar book today?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)