|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the crowd ask Cassy to do when she is on the auction stage?
2. What does Flashman force the posse to do when he points his gun at Robinson?
3. What is the name of the prosecutor's assistant?
4. What name does Flashman give himself in Chapter 10?
5. Who is Flashman with when Randolph asks to see him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Cassy kill Tom and George?
2. How does Flashman manage to escape the U.S. Navy?
3. What is John's relationship with his wife, Annie?
4. Why does Peter Omohundro present a problem in Chapter 9?
5. What does Baily tell Flashman about slavery in America in Chapter 13?
6. What opinion does Lincoln give about slavery in Chapter 13?
7. Why does Cassy associate freedom with Britain?
8. How does Flashman deal with Omohundro?
9. What does Lincoln tell Buck in Chapter 12?
10. How does Flashman find a job in Chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the book's reception in three different countries including the country the book was written. How do their opinions about the books differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
Essay Topic 3
Pick a character from the book and discuss his or her goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interactions with each other?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)