|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do the two slaves say was kind to them aboard the ship?
2. Which character is furious with Flashman in Chapter 11?
3. Who does Flashman beg to see at Judge Payne's house?
4. How does Flashman say he is related to Tom Little?
5. What does Flashman say Marcellus Anderson is quick to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is John's relationship with his wife, Annie?
2. How is Randolph killed in Chapter 9?
3. How do John and his men decide to deal with Flashman?
4. Why does Flashman decide to lie in court?
5. Why does Cassy associate freedom with Britain?
6. What does Cassy say will happen to them both if the authorities catch them?
7. What does Cassy tell Flashman about her life thus far?
8. How does Flashman find a job in Chapter 10?
9. How does Lincoln ease Flashman's worries in Chapter 13?
10. What does Anderson state that the plaintiff must show?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What were the arguments for and against slavery in the 1850s? What are Fraser's opinions on putting an end to slavery in the 1850s and how does he express them? Do you agree or disagree with Fraser's opinion?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following and examine their real life equivalent. How did the author adapt it for his book?
1. The abolitionist movement.
2. The slave trade.
3. Southern America culture.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)