|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What language do the two slaves speak fluently?
2. What does Flashman say he will give to Spring in exchange for passage back to England?
3. What is the name of the steamship Flashman sails on in Chapter 9?
4. What does Flashman tell people was his former job?
5. What does the red-haired auctioneer like to drink?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Cassy's opinion of men?
2. What does Flashman soon realize about the trial?
3. How does Cassy kill Tom and George?
4. What does Cassy tell Flashman about her life thus far?
5. How is Randolph killed in Chapter 9?
6. What does Lincoln tell Buck in Chapter 12?
7. Why does Flashman decide to lie in court?
8. How does Lincoln ease Flashman's worries in Chapter 13?
9. Why does Cassy associate freedom with Britain?
10. Why does Peter Omohundro present a problem in Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick a character from the book and discuss his or her goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interactions with each other?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following historical figures in Fraser's book and discuss how Fraser represents him/her in FLASH FOR FREEDOM! and why he represents that person in that manner? Are there people who would argue against Fraser's representation of that person's life?
1. Abraham Lincoln.
2. Benjamin Disraeli.
3. King Gezo.
4. Fanny Locke.
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)