|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cassy save Flashman from?
2. How does Flashman say he is related to Tom Little?
3. What are the names of the two slaves Anderson examines?
4. What bits does Flashman say he omits from his story to Lincoln?
5. What is the name of the prosecutor?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lincoln ease Flashman's worries in Chapter 13?
2. What is Cassy's opinion of men?
3. What opinion does Lincoln give about slavery in Chapter 13?
4. What does Cassy tell Flashman about her life thus far?
5. What do Drusilla and Messalina recall in court?
6. How does Cassy kill Tom and George?
7. Why does Cassy associate freedom with Britain?
8. What is John's relationship with his wife, Annie?
9. Why does Flashman decide to lie in court?
10. What does Flashman soon realize about the trial?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick a character from the book and discuss his or her goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interactions with each other?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the values of the 1850s.
1. In what ways are the characters a product of their time?
2. How does the book express the changes America was going through at the time?
3. Does modern society share any values with 1850s Russia?
Essay Topic 3
Examine sex in the book.
1. How do the characters in the book view sex?
2. How did 1850s American and British society view sex?
3. How did the public react to the book's sex when it was first published? How would the public react to a similar book today?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)