|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Cassy's full name?
2. What does Flashman say he must do in court?
3. Who dies at the end of Chapter 9?
4. What is the name of the river that is the boundary between slave and free states?
5. Who does Flashman beg to see at Judge Payne's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Peter Omohundro present a problem in Chapter 9?
2. What does Cassy say will happen to them both if the authorities catch them?
3. What does Flashman think about Annie's refusal to socialize with him after sex?
4. What opinion does Lincoln give about slavery in Chapter 13?
5. How does Flashman manage to escape the U.S. Navy?
6. How do John and his men decide to deal with Flashman?
7. Why does Cassy associate freedom with Britain?
8. What does Flashman soon realize about the trial?
9. What do Drusilla and Messalina recall in court?
10. What does Baily tell Flashman about slavery in America in Chapter 13?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way does Flashman's lifestyle show him as an anti-hero? How does Flashman's lifestyle go against English society during the 1850s? What does it say about British society in the 1850s that someone like Flashman could become famous?
Essay Topic 2
Examine sex in the book.
1. How do the characters in the book view sex?
2. How did 1850s American and British society view sex?
3. How did the public react to the book's sex when it was first published? How would the public react to a similar book today?
Essay Topic 3
Pick a character from the book and discuss his or her goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interactions with each other?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)