|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Flashman say he is reluctant to divulge anything to the court?
2. What does Cassy tell Flashman will happen to him if they are caught?
3. What is the name of the slave girl with whom Flashman sleeps?
4. What name does Flashman give himself aboard the boat?
5. What does Lincoln say Cassy will never wear again?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Anderson state that the plaintiff must show?
2. How does Flashman manage to escape the U.S. Navy?
3. Why does Flashman decide to lie in court?
4. How do John and his men decide to deal with Flashman?
5. What opinion does Lincoln give about slavery in Chapter 13?
6. What does Lincoln tell Buck in Chapter 12?
7. How does Flashman deal with Omohundro?
8. What does Baily tell Flashman about slavery in America in Chapter 13?
9. How is Randolph killed in Chapter 9?
10. What is Cassy's opinion of men?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose two of the following people and outline his/her influence on Flashman's life:
4. Abraham Lincoln.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 3
The author wrote FLASH FOR FREEDOM! in the first person. Why do you think the author chose to write the story in the first person? How do you think the meaning of the story would change if the author wrote it in the third person?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)