|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Flashman say Marcellus Anderson is quick to do?
2. What is the name of the slave girl with whom Flashman sleeps?
3. What do the well-armed men leave outside the bar?
4. What does the red-haired auctioneer like to drink?
5. What was Cassie's punishment when she ran away from New Orleans?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Flashman soon realize about the trial?
2. What does Lincoln tell Buck in Chapter 12?
3. What does Cassy tell Flashman about her life thus far?
4. How does Lincoln ease Flashman's worries in Chapter 13?
5. How does Flashman find a job in Chapter 10?
6. How do John and his men decide to deal with Flashman?
7. What opinion does Lincoln give about slavery in Chapter 13?
8. How does Flashman's situation differ from Randolph's?
9. Why does Flashman decide to lie in court?
10. What is Cassy's opinion of men?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick a character from the book and discuss his or her goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interactions with each other?
Essay Topic 2
What did Cassy suffer as a slave in the 1850s? What would Cassy's life have been like if she had been born in today's America?
Essay Topic 3
The author wrote FLASH FOR FREEDOM! in the first person. Why do you think the author chose to write the story in the first person? How do you think the meaning of the story would change if the author wrote it in the third person?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)