|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Flashman demand the Americans hand him over to?
2. What does Lincoln say is higher than law?
3. What does the court say they want from Flashman?
4. What do the well-armed men leave outside the bar?
5. What kind of rally does Albert Smith say he is attending?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is John's relationship with his wife, Annie?
2. What are the charges against Spring?
3. What opinion does Lincoln give about slavery in Chapter 13?
4. How does Flashman find a job in Chapter 10?
5. What does Lincoln tell Buck in Chapter 12?
6. How does Flashman's situation differ from Randolph's?
7. What does Flashman think about Annie's refusal to socialize with him after sex?
8. How does Cassy kill Tom and George?
9. Why does Cassy associate freedom with Britain?
10. What is Cassy's opinion of men?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author wrote FLASH FOR FREEDOM! in the first person. Why do you think the author chose to write the story in the first person? How do you think the meaning of the story would change if the author wrote it in the third person?
Essay Topic 2
Away from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the values of the 1850s.
1. In what ways are the characters a product of their time?
2. How does the book express the changes America was going through at the time?
3. Does modern society share any values with 1850s Russia?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)