|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do the two slaves say was kind to them aboard the ship?
2. What does Flashman force the posse to do when he points his gun at Robinson?
3. What was Cassie's punishment when she ran away from New Orleans?
4. Why does Flashman say he is reluctant to divulge anything to the court?
5. Why does John say he does not mind the way Flashman looks at his wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Baily tell Flashman about slavery in America in Chapter 13?
2. How does Cassy kill Tom and George?
3. Why does Cassy associate freedom with Britain?
4. How do Flashman and Cassy escape Buck Robinson and his men?
5. What opinion does Lincoln give about slavery in Chapter 13?
6. What is John's relationship with his wife, Annie?
7. What are the charges against Spring?
8. What is Cassy's opinion of men?
9. How does Flashman manage to escape the U.S. Navy?
10. How do John and his men decide to deal with Flashman?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 2
In what way does Flashman's lifestyle show him as an anti-hero? How does Flashman's lifestyle go against English society during the 1850s? What does it say about British society in the 1850s that someone like Flashman could become famous?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the book's reception in three different countries including the country the book was written. How do their opinions about the books differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)