|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the steamship Flashman sails on in Chapter 9?
2. Who dies at the end of Chapter 9?
3. What does Anderson say is the first thing the plaintiff must show?
4. What is the name of the plantation to which Flashman walks?
5. What does Lincoln say Cassy will never wear again?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the charges against Spring?
2. Why does Cassy associate freedom with Britain?
3. What does Cassy say will happen to them both if the authorities catch them?
4. How does Flashman manage to escape the U.S. Navy?
5. What opinion does Lincoln give about slavery in Chapter 13?
6. How does Flashman find a job in Chapter 10?
7. How does Flashman's situation differ from Randolph's?
8. What do Drusilla and Messalina recall in court?
9. What does Anderson state that the plaintiff must show?
10. What does Flashman think about Annie's refusal to socialize with him after sex?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following historical figures in Fraser's book and discuss how Fraser represents him/her in FLASH FOR FREEDOM! and why he represents that person in that manner? Are there people who would argue against Fraser's representation of that person's life?
1. Abraham Lincoln.
2. Benjamin Disraeli.
3. King Gezo.
4. Fanny Locke.
Essay Topic 2
The author wrote FLASH FOR FREEDOM! in the first person. Why do you think the author chose to write the story in the first person? How do you think the meaning of the story would change if the author wrote it in the third person?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the values of the 1850s.
1. In what ways are the characters a product of their time?
2. How does the book express the changes America was going through at the time?
3. Does modern society share any values with 1850s Russia?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)