|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where on the ship do the officers want to put the adult slaves?
2. What does Spring order to be hosed down?
3. How does Spring react when he sees Looney urinating on the gruel?
4. In what country will the women's value increase if they are pregnant?
5. What is the name of Flashman's hated master at school?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Susie Willnick help out Flashman?
2. What happens to Looney in this section?
3. What is Sullivan's opinion of Spring?
4. Why is Flashman so disappointed in Lady Caroline Lamb?
5. How does Flashman describe the sleep barque aboard the ship?
6. What does Crixus tell Flashman about the Underground Railroad?
7. How does Flashman almost kill Bryant?
8. What does Comber tell Flashman in this section?
9. How does Spring's reaction to the Amazons differ from the reactions of his crew?
10. What regrets does Spring have about his life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Fraser end the book as he does? In what other ways could he have ended the book? What meaning would that new ending have given the book?
Essay Topic 2
Pick a character from the book and discuss his or her goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interactions with each other?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)