|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who offers Flashman sexual favors in this chapter?
2. Who does Flashman call Bible reared?
3. What does Flashman visualize as Bryant lies in a coma?
4. What does Crixus refer to as blasphemous iniquity?
5. Who does Crixus claim Randopoh is more important than?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Flashman almost kill Bryant?
2. Why does Flashman think people against the slave trade are full of hypocrisy?
3. Why is Flashman so disappointed in Lady Caroline Lamb?
4. Why is Flashman's decision to stand for Parliament seen as a good thing all round?
5. What is Flashman's opinion of George Washington?
6. What regrets does Spring have about his life?
7. How does Spring deal with the slaves once they are aboard the ship?
8. How does Flashman's seasickness affect him aboard the Balliol College?
9. How does Morrison save Flashman?
10. What is Sullivan's opinion of Spring?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
What were the arguments for and against slavery in the 1850s? What are Fraser's opinions on putting an end to slavery in the 1850s and how does he express them? Do you agree or disagree with Fraser's opinion?
Essay Topic 3
In what way does Flashman's lifestyle show him as an anti-hero? How does Flashman's lifestyle go against English society during the 1850s? What does it say about British society in the 1850s that someone like Flashman could become famous?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)