|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Spring murder in this section?
2. What does Lincoln take Flashman aside to talk about?
3. Who was the first person to write about Amazons?
4. What kind of instrument introduces the Amazon women?
5. How does Looney get even?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Flashman describe the sleep barque aboard the ship?
2. How does Spring's reaction to the Amazons differ from the reactions of his crew?
3. What does the reader learn about Amazons in this section?
4. How does Flashman almost kill Bryant?
5. How does Flashman plan to escape at the end of Chapter 6?
6. What is Lincoln's opinion of the Californian Gold Rush?
7. What does Comber tell Flashman in this section?
8. What does Crixus tell Flashman about the Underground Railroad?
9. What regrets does Spring have about his life?
10. What is the story Sullivan relates to Flashman about another captain of slaver?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick a character from the book and discuss his or her goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interactions with each other?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Flashman's character across the whole series.
1. How does the author develop Flashman's character across the whole series?
2. What new elements does FLASH FOR FREEDOM! add to Flash's character?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Fraser end the book as he does? In what other ways could he have ended the book? What meaning would that new ending have given the book?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)