|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is Fanny's hair?
2. What does Sullivan confide to Flashman about Spring?
3. Why does Flashman want to become a politician?
4. To what does Flashman compare Randolph's face?
5. What kind of female slaves does Spring want to hold back for New Orlean brothels?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Spring and his crew try to leave Apokoto?
2. How does Flashman know the Balliol College is a slaver ship?
3. In what way does life aboard the ship worsen as she enters the Carribbean?
4. Why does Crixus want Flashman to escort Randolph?
5. What happens to Looney in this section?
6. Why does Spring want his men to get the female slaves pregnant?
7. What is Abraham's opinion of slaves?
8. What does Crixus tell Flashman about the Underground Railroad?
9. Why does Lincoln suspect Flashman is lying?
10. How does Spring deal with the slaves once they are aboard the ship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick a character from the book and discuss his or her goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interactions with each other?
Essay Topic 2
Examine sex in the book.
1. How do the characters in the book view sex?
2. How did 1850s American and British society view sex?
3. How did the public react to the book's sex when it was first published? How would the public react to a similar book today?
Essay Topic 3
Choose two of the following people and outline his/her influence on Flashman's life:
4. Abraham Lincoln.
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)