|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Flashman say his name is when he arrives in America?
2. What does Flashman visualize as Bryant lies in a coma?
3. Who becomes the butt of everyone's jokes in Chapter 2?
4. What is the name of the bald man the navy officers lead Flashman to?
5. In what country will the women's value increase if they are pregnant?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Spring and his crew try to leave Apokoto?
2. How does Flashman manage to escape the U.S. Navy?
3. How does Flashman get the Americans on his side?
4. What does the reader learn about Amazons in this section?
5. What is Abraham's opinion of slaves?
6. What does Cassy say will happen to them both if the authorities catch them?
7. How does Flashman describe King Gezo?
8. Why does Flashman think Elspeth's child is not his?
9. Why does Peter Omohundro present a problem in Chapter 9?
10. What does Lincoln tell Buck in Chapter 12?
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
Pick a character from the book and discuss his or her goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interactions with each other?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the book's reception in three different countries including the country the book was written. How do their opinions about the books differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
This section contains 1,293 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)