Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Flashman say his name is when he arrives in America?
2. What does Flashman visualize as Bryant lies in a coma?
3. Who becomes the butt of everyone's jokes in Chapter 2?
4. What is the name of the bald man the navy officers lead Flashman to?
5. In what country will the women's value increase if they are pregnant?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Spring and his crew try to leave Apokoto?
2. How does Flashman manage to escape the U.S. Navy?
3. How does Flashman get the Americans on his side?
4. What does the reader learn about Amazons in this section?
5. What is Abraham's opinion of slaves?
6. What does Cassy say will happen to them both if the authorities catch them?
7. How does Flashman describe King Gezo?
8. Why does Flashman think Elspeth's child is not his?
9. Why does Peter Omohundro present a problem in Chapter 9?
10. What does Lincoln tell Buck in Chapter 12?
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and examine their real life equivalent. How did the author adapt it for his book?
1. The abolitionist movement.
2. The slave trade.
3. Southern America culture.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the values of the 1850s.
1. In what ways are the characters a product of their time?
2. How does the book express the changes America was going through at the time?
3. Does modern society share any values with 1850s Russia?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)