|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Lincoln think stands to make the most money from the gold rush in California?
2. Who is Flashman longing for aboard the ship?
3. What is the name of Spring's clipper?
4. What is Mr. Moultrie's position in the navy?
5. To what religious figure does Looney compare Spring?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Spring's reaction to the Amazons differ from the reactions of his crew?
2. What is Flashman's opinion of George Washington?
3. What is Sullivan's opinion of Spring?
4. What is Lincoln's opinion of the Californian Gold Rush?
5. Why does Flashman think Elspeth's child is not his?
6. What is Flashman's opinion of life aboard the Balliol College?
7. How does Flashman settle into life once he arrives in Louisiana?
8. Why is Flashman so disappointed in Lady Caroline Lamb?
9. Why does Crixus want Flashman to escort Randolph?
10. How does Susie Willnick help out Flashman?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Flashman's character across the whole series.
1. How does the author develop Flashman's character across the whole series?
2. What new elements does FLASH FOR FREEDOM! add to Flash's character?
Essay Topic 2
Examine sex in the book.
1. How do the characters in the book view sex?
2. How did 1850s American and British society view sex?
3. How did the public react to the book's sex when it was first published? How would the public react to a similar book today?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the values of the 1850s.
1. In what ways are the characters a product of their time?
2. How does the book express the changes America was going through at the time?
3. Does modern society share any values with 1850s Russia?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)