|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Flashman call the scholars at Balliol?
2. Which member of Spring's crew do the Amazon's capture?
3. Where does the name Crixus come from?
4. What country do the politicians debate over dinner?
5. What was the name of Flashman's school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Flashman's opinion of George Washington?
2. How does Flashman's seasickness affect him aboard the Balliol College?
3. What is Lincoln's opinion of the Californian Gold Rush?
4. What does the U.S. Navy do with Flashman in this section?
5. Why is Flashman's decision to stand for Parliament seen as a good thing all round?
6. Why does Lincoln suspect Flashman is lying?
7. How does Flashman almost kill Bryant?
8. What does Comber tell Flashman in this section?
9. What does Crixus tell Flashman about the Underground Railroad?
10. What happens to Looney in this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following historical figures in Fraser's book and discuss how Fraser represents him/her in FLASH FOR FREEDOM! and why he represents that person in that manner? Are there people who would argue against Fraser's representation of that person's life?
1. Abraham Lincoln.
2. Benjamin Disraeli.
3. King Gezo.
4. Fanny Locke.
Essay Topic 2
Away from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following and examine their real life equivalent. How did the author adapt it for his book?
1. The abolitionist movement.
2. The slave trade.
3. Southern America culture.
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)