|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Flashman think it is okay to leave Randolph at the end of Chapter 9?
2. What does Lincoln take Flashman aside to talk about?
3. Who treats Comber in this section?
4. Who offers Flashman sexual favors in this chapter?
5. Who takes an arrow in the throat?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Flashman see as he approaches Apokoto?
2. Why does Flashman decide to lie in court?
3. How does Flashman almost kill Bryant?
4. How does Spring deal with the slaves once they are aboard the ship?
5. Why does Spring want his men to get the female slaves pregnant?
6. How does Flashman find a job in Chapter 10?
7. What does Flashman soon realize about the trial?
8. What does Cassy tell Flashman about her life thus far?
9. What regrets does Spring have about his life?
10. Why does Lincoln suspect Flashman is lying?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author wrote FLASH FOR FREEDOM! in the first person. Why do you think the author chose to write the story in the first person? How do you think the meaning of the story would change if the author wrote it in the third person?
Essay Topic 2
Choose two of the following people and outline his/her influence on Flashman's life:
4. Abraham Lincoln.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
This section contains 1,295 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)