|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character does Flashman say is now unrecognizable as a human?
2. Where does Crixus say Flashman can find the fastest route back to England?
3. What does Comber ask Flashman if he opposes?
4. Who offers Flashman sexual favors in this chapter?
5. What kind of female slaves does Spring want to hold back for New Orlean brothels?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Flashman almost kill Bryant?
2. How does Spring deal with the slaves once they are aboard the ship?
3. Why is Flashman's decision to stand for Parliament seen as a good thing all round?
4. How does Flashman know the Balliol College is a slaver ship?
5. What happens when Spring and his crew try to leave Apokoto?
6. What happens to Looney in this section?
7. Why does Flashman think Elspeth's child is not his?
8. How does Flashman's seasickness affect him aboard the Balliol College?
9. In what way does life aboard the ship worsen as she enters the Carribbean?
10. What regrets does Spring have about his life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick a character from the book and discuss his or her goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interactions with each other?
Essay Topic 2
In what way does Flashman's lifestyle show him as an anti-hero? How does Flashman's lifestyle go against English society during the 1850s? What does it say about British society in the 1850s that someone like Flashman could become famous?
Essay Topic 3
Away from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)