|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes an arrow in the throat?
2. What is Flashman's nickname for his mother-in-law?
3. What is the name of the King Spring works with?
4. What does Flashman say his name is when he arrives in America?
5. What does Sulliavan say a captain did when he had no time to drown 300 slaves?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Flashman pack with him to take to Louisiana?
2. How does Flashman plan to escape at the end of Chapter 6?
3. Why does Lincoln suspect Flashman is lying?
4. How does Flashman describe the sleep barque aboard the ship?
5. How does Flashman get the Americans on his side?
6. Why does Flashman think people against the slave trade are full of hypocrisy?
7. In what way does life aboard the ship worsen as she enters the Carribbean?
8. How does Flashman settle into life once he arrives in Louisiana?
9. How does Spring's reaction to the Amazons differ from the reactions of his crew?
10. What does Comber tell Flashman in this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Flashman's character across the whole series.
1. How does the author develop Flashman's character across the whole series?
2. What new elements does FLASH FOR FREEDOM! add to Flash's character?
Essay Topic 2
What were the arguments for and against slavery in the 1850s? What are Fraser's opinions on putting an end to slavery in the 1850s and how does he express them? Do you agree or disagree with Fraser's opinion?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the values of the 1850s.
1. In what ways are the characters a product of their time?
2. How does the book express the changes America was going through at the time?
3. Does modern society share any values with 1850s Russia?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)