|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For whom does Flashman say he is looking?
2. In which city does Flashman think an Amazon woman would draw a big price?
3. What country does Spring offer to take Flashman to?
4. How is Fanny related to Locke?
5. How does Spring excite the sharks in this section?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the story Sullivan relates to Flashman about another captain of slaver?
2. What does Flashman pack with him to take to Louisiana?
3. What happens to Looney in this section?
4. How does Flashman's seasickness affect him aboard the Balliol College?
5. How does Flashman describe the sleep barque aboard the ship?
6. What happens when Spring and his crew try to leave Apokoto?
7. How does Susie Willnick help out Flashman?
8. What regrets does Spring have about his life?
9. Why does Lincoln suspect Flashman is lying?
10. What is Flashman's opinion of George Washington?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author wrote FLASH FOR FREEDOM! in the first person. Why do you think the author chose to write the story in the first person? How do you think the meaning of the story would change if the author wrote it in the third person?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 3
What does Fraser say about debauchery? How does he use the main characters and story to express his view?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)