|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes an arrow in the throat?
2. What is the name of Morrison's banker friend?
3. To what does Flashman compare Randolph's face?
4. To what country does Crixus want Flashman to escort Randolph?
5. What does Flashman call the scholars at Balliol?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Flashman's seasickness affect him aboard the Balliol College?
2. What happens when Spring and his crew try to leave Apokoto?
3. What does the reader learn about Amazons in this section?
4. What is the story Sullivan relates to Flashman about another captain of slaver?
5. How does Flashman get the Americans on his side?
6. Why does Crixus want Flashman to escort Randolph?
7. How does Flashman almost kill Bryant?
8. How does Flashman describe King Gezo?
9. What is happening in England when Flashman returns?
10. What does Crixus tell Flashman about the Underground Railroad?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author wrote FLASH FOR FREEDOM! in the first person. Why do you think the author chose to write the story in the first person? How do you think the meaning of the story would change if the author wrote it in the third person?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the book's dialogue. How does the author's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
Essay Topic 3
In what way does Flashman's lifestyle show him as an anti-hero? How does Flashman's lifestyle go against English society during the 1850s? What does it say about British society in the 1850s that someone like Flashman could become famous?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)