|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of instrument introduces the Amazon women?
2. Where on the ship do the officers want to put the adult slaves?
3. What does Flashman visualize as Bryant lies in a coma?
4. What is Abraham's position aboard the USS Cormorant?
5. What does Flashman say his name is when he arrives in America?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Flashman describe King Gezo?
2. In what way does life aboard the ship worsen as she enters the Carribbean?
3. What does the U.S. Navy do with Flashman in this section?
4. What is the story Sullivan relates to Flashman about another captain of slaver?
5. How does Morrison save Flashman?
6. What happens to Looney in this section?
7. What does Comber tell Flashman in this section?
8. What does Flashman see as he approaches Apokoto?
9. Why is Flashman so disappointed in Lady Caroline Lamb?
10. How does Flashman's seasickness affect him aboard the Balliol College?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the values of the 1850s.
1. In what ways are the characters a product of their time?
2. How does the book express the changes America was going through at the time?
3. Does modern society share any values with 1850s Russia?
Essay Topic 3
In what way does Flashman's lifestyle show him as an anti-hero? How does Flashman's lifestyle go against English society during the 1850s? What does it say about British society in the 1850s that someone like Flashman could become famous?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)