|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What American President does Flashman meet at the dinner?
2. Who is Spring buying the Amazons from?
3. Who does Spring murder in this section?
4. What does Flashman visualize as Bryant lies in a coma?
5. To what city does Fairbrother want to rush Flashman?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Flashman describe King Gezo?
2. How does Spring's reaction to the Amazons differ from the reactions of his crew?
3. Why does Flashman think people against the slave trade are full of hypocrisy?
4. What does Comber tell Flashman in this section?
5. What does Flashman see as he approaches Apokoto?
6. How does Flashman's seasickness affect him aboard the Balliol College?
7. What is Abraham's opinion of slaves?
8. What is Flashman's opinion of life aboard the Balliol College?
9. How does Flashman settle into life once he arrives in Louisiana?
10. What happens to Looney in this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the values of the 1850s.
1. In what ways are the characters a product of their time?
2. How does the book express the changes America was going through at the time?
3. Does modern society share any values with 1850s Russia?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the book's reception in three different countries including the country the book was written. How do their opinions about the books differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
Essay Topic 3
What does Fraser say about debauchery? How does he use the main characters and story to express his view?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)