|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Flashman's nickname?
2. Who does Flashman seduce in Chapter 7?
3. In which state has Flashman heard that people have struck gold?
4. Why does Morrison think it is good idea if Flashman becomes an M.P?
5. To what religious figure does Looney compare Spring?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the U.S. Navy do with Flashman in this section?
2. What does Crixus tell Flashman about the Underground Railroad?
3. In what way does life aboard the ship worsen as she enters the Carribbean?
4. Why does Flashman think people against the slave trade are full of hypocrisy?
5. How does Flashman plan to escape at the end of Chapter 6?
6. What is Lincoln's opinion of the Californian Gold Rush?
7. What is happening in England when Flashman returns?
8. What is Sullivan's opinion of Spring?
9. How does Flashman describe King Gezo?
10. How does Flashman know the Balliol College is a slaver ship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What did Cassy suffer as a slave in the 1850s? What would Cassy's life have been like if she had been born in today's America?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 3
What were the arguments for and against slavery in the 1850s? What are Fraser's opinions on putting an end to slavery in the 1850s and how does he express them? Do you agree or disagree with Fraser's opinion?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)