|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What item did the man throw onto the floor in anger?
2. "The Last Parakeet" is what type of parakeet?
3. The segments on the morning show include all but which subject?
4. In "A Chronicler's Sin," a town is plagued by ______.
5. At what time of day did the woman like to weed the garden?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was the man so distraught in "The Paring Knife?"
2. Who is "The Philosophical Cobbler?" What is his main concern and goal?
3. In "Here's Another Ending," discuss the actions of the owners of the dog and how they try to trick a neighbor.
4. In "Corners," what are the sisters doing at the beginning of the story? What upsets Jessie so much that she runs outside?
5. Discuss the scene in the restaurant in "Deportation at Breakfast."
6. What is the most interesting thing about the people at "108 John Street?"
7. Discuss the odd behavior in the town described in "A Chronicler's Sin."
8. What happens when Louise finds Teddy on the floor in "Teddy's Canary?"
9. Discuss the interview with "The Last Parakeet."
10. Why does Emily feel invisible in "Offerings?" What does Emily do after she collects a large number of apologies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Franky Gorky may be "The Nicest Kid in the Universe," but Franky is none too bright. Write two short stories about a character like Franky, or perhaps yourself, who receives three wishes. One story will reflect wise choices using the three wishes, and the second story will reflect making foolish choices. Would it be hard to decide what to do with the wishes?
Essay Topic 2
In "Girl," a girl's mother gives her daughter a very long list of things to do and not to do in order to behave like and become a "proper lady." Review each item on the list. Is it applicable to current day standards? Explain. Update the list to remove archaic ideas, update those that need to be changed to reflect modern culture, and add items that are appropriate today.
Essay Topic 3
here are two poems that deal with trains: "Love Poems" and "The Burlington Northern, Southbound." Discuss the use of trains as imagery and how the inspire each author. Also discuss trains as a metaphor and how they are or are not appropriate to the stories. Research and find other poems using trains, e.g., Alan Ginsberg's "Sunflower Sutra," to compare and contrast. Which is the best use of a train as an inspiration and/or image?
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)