|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The man compares the dialogue to running down the page like a rivulet of _____.
2. What critter does the dog bring back to the family home?
3. The boys cover the birds with which of the following:
4. What is the name of the chef in "Deportation at Breakfast?"
5. The man is fighting in which war?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Jane's attitude in "Jane." What does Jane do instead of follow her parents' orders?
2. Who is "The Philosophical Cobbler?" What is his main concern and goal?
3. Why does Emily feel invisible in "Offerings?" What does Emily do after she collects a large number of apologies?
4. In "Here's Another Ending," discuss the actions of the owners of the dog and how they try to trick a neighbor.
5. Discuss the odd behavior in the town described in "A Chronicler's Sin."
6. In "Corners," what are the sisters doing at the beginning of the story? What upsets Jessie so much that she runs outside?
7. In "The Cage," a man is trapped with no way to get free under his own power. Explain what happens that what it might mean.
8. Girl: The mother gives the daughter several references about becoming what?
9. Vines: Discuss the man's main issue in "Vines" and what he says to his wife. How does the wife respond?
10. The author of "Bread" questions if anyone should eat bread. Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Snapshot, Harvey Cedars: 1948" tells the tale of a woman's memories of her parents. The woman looks at a family photo fondly, remembering her dad's dreams of becoming a builder. The mother's body language is telling and unusual. Examine the mother's body language in the photo and the daughter's views. Do you think it is possible that the woman had some type of premonition or is the woman's body language a coincidence? If the woman had a premonition, do you think she was aware of it? Study the possibilities. Examine the daughter's thoughts regarding her father's suicide.
Essay Topic 2
"Flash Fiction: Very Short Stories by James Thomas" is a collection of stories designed to be so short that they cannot be claimed as short fiction or sudden fiction. Compare and contrast the three types of stories. Also compare them to a short story and novella.
Essay Topic 3
"Bread" discusses the fact that while many of us eat bread, there are many people that are starving and could benefit from the bread we take for granted. Who decides who should eat and who should starve? Should people curb what they eat in order to provide food for people half way around the world? Is there an impact on those people decided by what we eat? How does supply and demand fit into the picture? Explain.
This section contains 1,055 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)