|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of animal is found and fed in the sewer?
2. The boys cover the birds with which of the following:
3. How old is the woman in "The Widow?"
4. Who lives three houses away in "Here?"
5. Which of the following is not one of the sisters mentioned in "Corners?"
Short Essay Questions
1. Girl: Discuss some of the items that the girl must learn to do in the home.
2. What does Henry Dobbins use as a way of protecting himself while at war? What happens that might change the talisman?
3. Discuss what might happen after the owner finds the dead rabbit in "Here's Another Ending."
4. In "The Cage," a man is trapped with no way to get free under his own power. Explain what happens that what it might mean.
5. What is the thing that seems to bother the woman most in "The Haircut?"
6. Why was the man so distraught in "The Paring Knife?"
7. In "Here's Another Ending," discuss the actions of the owners of the dog and how they try to trick a neighbor.
8. "Here" describes a neighborhood in which everyone is friendly but does not socialize. Describe the neighborhood.
9. What happens when Louise finds Teddy on the floor in "Teddy's Canary?"
10. Discuss the findings of the parents in "The Sewers of Salt Lake."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A 70-year-old woman copes with living alone in "Widow." Examine the woman's grief and remorse due to the loss of her husband. Also examine the woman's new-found sense of freedom and how she copes with the emptiness of her house and lack of rules.
Essay Topic 2
In "Girl," a girl's mother gives her daughter a very long list of things to do and not to do in order to behave like and become a "proper lady." Review each item on the list. Is it applicable to current day standards? Explain. Update the list to remove archaic ideas, update those that need to be changed to reflect modern culture, and add items that are appropriate today.
Essay Topic 3
Franky Gorky may be "The Nicest Kid in the Universe," but Franky is none too bright. Write two short stories about a character like Franky, or perhaps yourself, who receives three wishes. One story will reflect wise choices using the three wishes, and the second story will reflect making foolish choices. Would it be hard to decide what to do with the wishes?
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)