|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what time of day did the woman like to weed the garden?
2. What is the name of the man's friend?
3. Who interviews the widow?
4. What word does the man use to describe the drama regarding the hero and heroine of the story?
5. In "Fear: Four Examples," a man is upset because his daughter is late coming home. How many hours late is the daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Vines: Discuss the man's main issue in "Vines" and what he says to his wife. How does the wife respond?
2. In "Here's Another Ending," discuss the actions of the owners of the dog and how they try to trick a neighbor.
3. "Here" describes a neighborhood in which everyone is friendly but does not socialize. Describe the neighborhood.
4. Discuss the scene in the restaurant in "Deportation at Breakfast."
5. Discuss the interruptions faced by the man in "The Continuity of Parks."
6. The author of "Bread" questions if anyone should eat bread. Why?
7. Discuss what might happen after the owner finds the dead rabbit in "Here's Another Ending."
8. In "The Cage," a man is trapped with no way to get free under his own power. Explain what happens that what it might mean.
9. Discuss Jane's attitude in "Jane." What does Jane do instead of follow her parents' orders?
10. Girl: The mother gives the daughter several references about becoming what?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
here are two poems that deal with trains: "Love Poems" and "The Burlington Northern, Southbound." Discuss the use of trains as imagery and how the inspire each author. Also discuss trains as a metaphor and how they are or are not appropriate to the stories. Research and find other poems using trains, e.g., Alan Ginsberg's "Sunflower Sutra," to compare and contrast. Which is the best use of a train as an inspiration and/or image?
Essay Topic 2
"The Last Parakeet" is a fanciful story about a Brazilian parakeet that has turned itself in and is prepared to tell its life story. Create a script for the parakeet's interview on national television. Ensure that the script is ten minutes in length. What types of questions might the interviewer ask the parakeet? What might the parakeet say regarding his unusual position? What questions would you ask the parakeet if you had the opportunity?
Essay Topic 3
In "Ponderosa," Jimmy is unhappy. Jimmy has been cheating on his wife although he denies it to his wife and father, who is a minister. The father tries to talk to Jimmy, but to no avail. Through an accident, Jimmy has half of his jaw shot off. The father sees it as divine intervention. Discuss Jimmy's predicament. Why does Jimmy continue to see his mistress if he is unhappy? What kind of upbringing did Jimmy have as the son of a minister? Does the father really believe that Jimmy's "accident" was divine intervention? Does Jimmy believe it? How does the accident affect Jimmy's life? Discuss the story from both sides. Also discuss what might have happened if Jimmy had not been shot.
This section contains 1,106 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)