|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the main female character in "Offerings?"
2. Where are the friends gathered when they talk about Teddy?
3. In "Blackberries," a woman tells her husband that they cannot eat the blackberries he has picked because they have run out of ___.
4. What word does the man use to describe the drama regarding the hero and heroine of the story?
5. What is the name of Teddy's wife in "Teddy's Canary?"
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the life of the young girl in "The Restraints."
2. In "Corners," what are the sisters doing at the beginning of the story? What upsets Jessie so much that she runs outside?
3. What happens when Louise finds Teddy on the floor in "Teddy's Canary?"
4. Why does Emily feel invisible in "Offerings?" What does Emily do after she collects a large number of apologies?
5. Girl: Discuss some of the items that the girl must learn to do in the home.
6. Why was the man so distraught in "The Paring Knife?"
7. Discuss the findings of the parents in "The Sewers of Salt Lake."
8. What causes the woman to be upset in "Water?" What does the woman do?
9. What realization does the widow come to in regards to her missing husband?
10. What happens to the babies in "The Parents?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A couple argues incessantly in "Blackberries." Why does the couple argue? Study the couple's dynamic to understand why they argue constantly. Are the issues they argue about important? Does the couple argue simply to argue? What can be done to change the couple's dynamic? Can the couple's relationship possibly be healthy? Also investigate how two people can argue without being hurtful, e.g., using "I" statements.
Essay Topic 2
In "The Stones," the old stones have chosen to forget about or cease to talk about their adventures as young stones. Discuss in detail the behavior of the old stones versus the young stones. How have the old stones changed? What is the opinion of the young stones regarding their elders? Compare the attitudes of the old and young stones to grandparents, parents and children. What are the similarities? Does the story help to change your outlook on the opinions and advice of your elders? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
"Flash Fiction: Very Short Stories by James Thomas" is a collection of stories designed to be so short that they cannot be claimed as short fiction or sudden fiction. Compare and contrast the three types of stories. Also compare them to a short story and novella.
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)