|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the daughter's location when she leaves to go to her father's house?
2. Who finishes cooking the breakfast?
3. The man, desperate, reaches out to _____.
4. What is the name of Teddy's wife in "Teddy's Canary?"
5. One of the roommates thinks he should read about which war?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Fear: Four Examples," explain the main source of the man's fear regarding his daughter.
2. What is the most interesting thing about the people at "108 John Street?"
3. Discuss the odd behavior in the town described in "A Chronicler's Sin."
4. Who is "The Philosophical Cobbler?" What is his main concern and goal?
5. Girl: The mother gives the daughter several references about becoming what?
6. Discuss what might happen after the owner finds the dead rabbit in "Here's Another Ending."
7. In "The Cage," a man is trapped with no way to get free under his own power. Explain what happens that what it might mean.
8. What is the thing that seems to bother the woman most in "The Haircut?"
9. Discuss the interview with "The Last Parakeet."
10. What happens when Louise finds Teddy on the floor in "Teddy's Canary?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Bread" discusses the fact that while many of us eat bread, there are many people that are starving and could benefit from the bread we take for granted. Who decides who should eat and who should starve? Should people curb what they eat in order to provide food for people half way around the world? Is there an impact on those people decided by what we eat? How does supply and demand fit into the picture? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
In "Grace Period," a man spots a bright light on the horizon. The man can feel the earth rumble as the light gets brighter. No one answers the phone. Discuss what you think is happening. Do you think the bright light is a UFO? Do you think the man is frightened or hallucinating? Compare the story to others that begin the same way and end up with alien abduction. Also watch and review television shows that portray alien abductions.
Essay Topic 3
In "Girl," a girl's mother gives her daughter a very long list of things to do and not to do in order to behave like and become a "proper lady." Review each item on the list. Is it applicable to current day standards? Explain. Update the list to remove archaic ideas, update those that need to be changed to reflect modern culture, and add items that are appropriate today.
This section contains 994 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)