|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who interviews the widow?
2. in "The Restraints," a man forces a young girl to do which of the following:
3. What is the name of Jane's sister?
4. in "Bread," the rich woman refuses to give bread to her sister so that she can feed her _____ children.
5. Where does the man find the woman in "Space?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes the woman to be upset in "Water?" What does the woman do?
2. Why does Emily feel invisible in "Offerings?" What does Emily do after she collects a large number of apologies?
3. Why was the man so distraught in "The Paring Knife?"
4. What realization does the widow come to in regards to her missing husband?
5. What holiday tragedy happens to Franky Gorky in "The Nicest Kid in the Universe?"
6. Vines: Discuss the man's main issue in "Vines" and what he says to his wife. How does the wife respond?
7. Discuss the interview with "The Last Parakeet."
8. Discuss the scene in the restaurant in "Deportation at Breakfast."
9. Girl: Discuss some of the items that the girl must learn to do in the home.
10. What does Henry Dobbins use as a way of protecting himself while at war? What happens that might change the talisman?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "Ponderosa," Jimmy is unhappy. Jimmy has been cheating on his wife although he denies it to his wife and father, who is a minister. The father tries to talk to Jimmy, but to no avail. Through an accident, Jimmy has half of his jaw shot off. The father sees it as divine intervention. Discuss Jimmy's predicament. Why does Jimmy continue to see his mistress if he is unhappy? What kind of upbringing did Jimmy have as the son of a minister? Does the father really believe that Jimmy's "accident" was divine intervention? Does Jimmy believe it? How does the accident affect Jimmy's life? Discuss the story from both sides. Also discuss what might have happened if Jimmy had not been shot.
Essay Topic 2
"Flash Fiction: Very Short Stories by James Thomas" is a collection of stories designed to be so short that they cannot be claimed as short fiction or sudden fiction. Compare and contrast the three types of stories. Also compare them to a short story and novella.
Essay Topic 3
A couple argues incessantly in "Blackberries." Why does the couple argue? Study the couple's dynamic to understand why they argue constantly. Are the issues they argue about important? Does the couple argue simply to argue? What can be done to change the couple's dynamic? Can the couple's relationship possibly be healthy? Also investigate how two people can argue without being hurtful, e.g., using "I" statements.
This section contains 1,042 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)