|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mandy Shupe goes to which location to meet a man?
2. Jimmy loses the ability to _____, which his father claims is God's will.
3. The man tells the woman about his former business as the owner of which of the following?
4. What kind of disease is contracted by the family cat?
5. The mother falls off of a:
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the accident that injures Jimmy? What happens after the accident?
2. Why do the man and his young lover have such varying opinions on what they see in "Everything is Green?"
3. Explain the goal of the stones in the desert.
4. Why does the girlfriend refuse to return her would-be husband's phone calls?
5. How does the woman intend to trick her boyfriend in "I Get Smart?"
6. How does the therapist behave in an unprofessional manner?
7. Discuss the man's final decision in "Corporal."
8. What causes the car accident in "Pumpkins?"
9. In "Love Poems," a man is inspired to write a love poem to his mistress. It is the best poem the man has ever written. Discuss the man's work and what he does with it in the end.
10. Give some examples of the man's experiences in "Subtotals."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A man desires to read his novel in "The Continuity of Parks." What about the novel has the man so intent on reading it? How does a person become so involved in a fantasy world that he becomes oblivious to everything around him? Is it a form of entertainment or escapism? Compare and contrast entertainment and escapism. Give examples of each as well as examples where both may apply.
Essay Topic 2
In "The Restraints," a girl is taken to a tavern by her father. Discuss in detail the psychological implications of the father's actions. Does the father know what he is doing is wrong? How does it affect the girl as a small child? In what ways does the girl suffer? How do other people see the girl? Can the man's actions be construed as child abuse? Define child abuse and relate it to the story.
Essay Topic 3
"Snapshot, Harvey Cedars: 1948" tells the tale of a woman's memories of her parents. The woman looks at a family photo fondly, remembering her dad's dreams of becoming a builder. The mother's body language is telling and unusual. Examine the mother's body language in the photo and the daughter's views. Do you think it is possible that the woman had some type of premonition or is the woman's body language a coincidence? If the woman had a premonition, do you think she was aware of it? Study the possibilities. Examine the daughter's thoughts regarding her father's suicide.
This section contains 1,091 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)