|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The man looks at a photograph of which family member?
2. In "Subtotals," a man is obsessed with which of the following?
3. Where does the story "Draft Horse" take place?
4. What is the name of the lead male character in "Everything is Green?"
5. The items remind the woman of which of the following:
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Vision Out of the Corner of One Eye" tells the story of two people on a train. What happens between the man and woman?
2. What causes the stones to become fearful? What is a distinction of stones?
3. Explain why Mr. Mumsford is so angry. What does the man intend to do? Why?
4. What common topic is discussed between the woman and the soldier in "Dish Night?"
5. How does the therapist behave in an unprofessional manner?
6. How do Karen and Konrad meet in "Roseville?" What event does the meeting prompt?
7. What is the accident that injures Jimmy? What happens after the accident?
8. "The Appalachian Trail" reflects the story of a wife determined to hike the 2,000 mile trail. Discuss the husband's reaction to the trip.
9. What is the main issue with Jimmy in the beginning of "Ponderosa?"
10. Why do the man and his young lover have such varying opinions on what they see in "Everything is Green?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "Feeding the Hungry," a man acts irrationally when he forgets to eat for one day. The man believes that he almost died from starvation. Obviously, that is not true. Study the body's metabolism and how it changes depending on the amount of food a person eats. Also examine the man's mental state to investigate any compulsions present.
Essay Topic 2
"Flash Fiction: Very Short Stories by James Thomas" is a collection of stories designed to be so short that they cannot be claimed as short fiction or sudden fiction. Compare and contrast the three types of stories. Also compare them to a short story and novella.
Essay Topic 3
"Corners" is a story about three sisters, Mildred, Marie, and Jessie. Marie dies. Examine the process each sister must go through to come to terms with Marie's death. Who is the eldest sister? How does each handle Marie's death? Explain how Jessie's behavior is colored by jealousy as much as grief. Also examine how Mildred tries to cheer Jessie. Discuss sibling rivalry.
This section contains 1,028 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)