|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What unusual prosthesis does the man have?
2. The man talks about attaching one of the creatures to which of the following?
3. In "I Get Smart," a woman initially owns ____ cats.
4. When the man wakes his wife, she only says one word. What is the word?
5. Pumpkins remind the person of which disease?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Karen and Konrad meet in "Roseville?" What event does the meeting prompt?
2. Explain the scene between the woman and the salesman in the "Lampshade Vendor."
3. What causes the car accident in "Pumpkins?"
4. What is the main issue with Jimmy in the beginning of "Ponderosa?"
5. Discuss the opening scene in "Ponderosa."
6. How does the therapist behave in an unprofessional manner?
7. Give some examples of the man's experiences in "Subtotals."
8. In "Vision Out of the Corner of One Eye" tells the story of two people on a train. What happens between the man and woman?
9. In "The One Sitting There," a woman has difficulty cleaning out her refrigerator. What is the problem?
10. Explain the issue in "From the Floodlands" and the realization of the people.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "Girl," a girl's mother gives her daughter a very long list of things to do and not to do in order to behave like and become a "proper lady." Review each item on the list. Is it applicable to current day standards? Explain. Update the list to remove archaic ideas, update those that need to be changed to reflect modern culture, and add items that are appropriate today.
Essay Topic 2
In "Feeding the Hungry," a man acts irrationally when he forgets to eat for one day. The man believes that he almost died from starvation. Obviously, that is not true. Study the body's metabolism and how it changes depending on the amount of food a person eats. Also examine the man's mental state to investigate any compulsions present.
Essay Topic 3
"Flash Fiction: Very Short Stories by James Thomas" is a collection of stories designed to be so short that they cannot be claimed as short fiction or sudden fiction. Compare and contrast the three types of stories. Also compare them to a short story and novella.
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)