|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What common kitchen item does the man eat?
2. The wife does not understand her husband's need for which of the following?
3. What dried human body part does the Colonel pull out of a sack?
4. The man looks at a photograph of which family member?
5. The Corporal had once dreamed of achieving which rank?
Short Essay Questions
1. What holiday tragedy happens to Franky Gorky in "The Nicest Kid in the Universe?"
2. What does Henry Dobbins use as a way of protecting himself while at war? What happens that might change the talisman?
3. Discuss the findings of the parents in "The Sewers of Salt Lake."
4. What temporarily dissuades the couple from making love in "True Love?"
5. Vines: Discuss the man's main issue in "Vines" and what he says to his wife. How does the wife respond?
6. What is the main issue with Jimmy in the beginning of "Ponderosa?"
7. Discuss the meaning behind the man's action in "Fingers."
8. What causes the stones to become fearful? What is a distinction of stones?
9. Explain why Mr. Mumsford is so angry. What does the man intend to do? Why?
10. Discuss the opening scene in "Ponderosa."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Ice Storm" is a telling story about boys that resist the urge to kill blinded pheasants during a particularly nasty winter storm. What happens to the animals during the storm? Why are the pheasants blinded? What about the boys makes them want to capture, harm or kill the birds? What causes the boys to rethink their motives and protect the birds from freezing to death? Examine a person's nature to protect versus kill.
Essay Topic 2
In "The Stones," the old stones have chosen to forget about or cease to talk about their adventures as young stones. Discuss in detail the behavior of the old stones versus the young stones. How have the old stones changed? What is the opinion of the young stones regarding their elders? Compare the attitudes of the old and young stones to grandparents, parents and children. What are the similarities? Does the story help to change your outlook on the opinions and advice of your elders? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
"Flash Fiction: Very Short Stories by James Thomas" contains many stories by many different authors. The only criterion is that the story must meet a certain word count, typically around 750 but no more than 1,000. Examine any common threads that are found within the collection. Are there any similar trains of thought, style or format? Review each story with those things in mind and make a list of connecting ties.
This section contains 2,350 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)