Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The items remind the woman of which of the following:
2. Bored, the boy falls asleep looking at pumpkins and wakes up look at a/n:
3. Jimmy's father accuses his son of ______.
4. Where do the old stones want to stay?
5. What is the name of the woman's first boyfriend?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the main issue with Jimmy in the beginning of "Ponderosa?"
2. Discuss the attitude of the man in "Wedding Night."
3. In "Corners," what are the sisters doing at the beginning of the story? What upsets Jessie so much that she runs outside?
4. Why do the man and his young lover have such varying opinions on what they see in "Everything is Green?"
5. In "Grace Period," what do you think is happening to the man witnessing the bright light?
6. Girl: The mother gives the daughter several references about becoming what?
7. What causes the car accident in "Pumpkins?"
8. How do Karen and Konrad meet in "Roseville?" What event does the meeting prompt?
9. Explain why Mr. Mumsford is so angry. What does the man intend to do? Why?
10. Why was the man so distraught in "The Paring Knife?"
Essay Topic 1
"Snapshot, Harvey Cedars: 1948" tells the tale of a woman's memories of her parents. The woman looks at a family photo fondly, remembering her dad's dreams of becoming a builder. The mother's body language is telling and unusual. Examine the mother's body language in the photo and the daughter's views. Do you think it is possible that the woman had some type of premonition or is the woman's body language a coincidence? If the woman had a premonition, do you think she was aware of it? Study the possibilities. Examine the daughter's thoughts regarding her father's suicide.
Essay Topic 2
In "Grace Period," a man spots a bright light on the horizon. The man can feel the earth rumble as the light gets brighter. No one answers the phone. Discuss what you think is happening. Do you think the bright light is a UFO? Do you think the man is frightened or hallucinating? Compare the story to others that begin the same way and end up with alien abduction. Also watch and review television shows that portray alien abductions.
Essay Topic 3
"Bread" discusses the fact that while many of us eat bread, there are many people that are starving and could benefit from the bread we take for granted. Who decides who should eat and who should starve? Should people curb what they eat in order to provide food for people half way around the world? Is there an impact on those people decided by what we eat? How does supply and demand fit into the picture? Explain.
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)