|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years has the couple been married?
2. What kind of disease is contracted by the family cat?
3. The man decides to send the poem to his poet friend in which country?
4. Toward the end of the story Jimmy becomes a/n:
5. What dried human body part does the Colonel pull out of a sack?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the opening scene in "Ponderosa."
2. Why does the girl think the U.S. is being attacked by Russian missiles?
3. Discuss the attitude of the man in "Wedding Night."
4. Explain why Mr. Mumsford is so angry. What does the man intend to do? Why?
5. Discuss the man's final decision in "Corporal."
6. Why do the man and his young lover have such varying opinions on what they see in "Everything is Green?"
7. Discuss the meaning behind the man's action in "Fingers."
8. What is the accident that injures Jimmy? What happens after the accident?
9. Explain the scene between the woman and the salesman in the "Lampshade Vendor."
10. Give some examples of the man's experiences in "Subtotals."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A man desires to read his novel in "The Continuity of Parks." What about the novel has the man so intent on reading it? How does a person become so involved in a fantasy world that he becomes oblivious to everything around him? Is it a form of entertainment or escapism? Compare and contrast entertainment and escapism. Give examples of each as well as examples where both may apply.
Essay Topic 2
"Ice Storm" is a telling story about boys that resist the urge to kill blinded pheasants during a particularly nasty winter storm. What happens to the animals during the storm? Why are the pheasants blinded? What about the boys makes them want to capture, harm or kill the birds? What causes the boys to rethink their motives and protect the birds from freezing to death? Examine a person's nature to protect versus kill.
Essay Topic 3
"Flash Fiction: Very Short Stories by James Thomas" is a collection of stories designed to be so short that they cannot be claimed as short fiction or sudden fiction. Compare and contrast the three types of stories. Also compare them to a short story and novella.
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)