Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The items remind the woman of which of the following:
2. Bored, the boy falls asleep looking at pumpkins and wakes up look at a/n:
3. Jimmy's father accuses his son of ______.
4. Where do the old stones want to stay?
5. What is the name of the woman's first boyfriend?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the main issue with Jimmy in the beginning of "Ponderosa?"
2. Discuss the attitude of the man in "Wedding Night."
3. In "Corners," what are the sisters doing at the beginning of the story? What upsets Jessie so much that she runs outside?
4. Why do the man and his young lover have such varying opinions on what they see in "Everything is Green?"
5. In "Grace Period," what do you think is happening to the man witnessing the bright light?
6. Girl: The mother gives the daughter several references about becoming what?
7. What causes the car accident in "Pumpkins?"
8. How do Karen and Konrad meet in "Roseville?" What event does the meeting prompt?
9. Explain why Mr. Mumsford is so angry. What does the man intend to do? Why?
10. Why was the man so distraught in "The Paring Knife?"
Essay Topic 1
"Flash Fiction: Very Short Stories by James Thomas" contains many stories by many different authors. The only criterion is that the story must meet a certain word count, typically around 750 but no more than 1,000. Examine any common threads that are found within the collection. Are there any similar trains of thought, style or format? Review each story with those things in mind and make a list of connecting ties.
Essay Topic 2
"Ice Storm" is a telling story about boys that resist the urge to kill blinded pheasants during a particularly nasty winter storm. What happens to the animals during the storm? Why are the pheasants blinded? What about the boys makes them want to capture, harm or kill the birds? What causes the boys to rethink their motives and protect the birds from freezing to death? Examine a person's nature to protect versus kill.
Essay Topic 3
Franky Gorky may be "The Nicest Kid in the Universe," but Franky is none too bright. Write two short stories about a character like Franky, or perhaps yourself, who receives three wishes. One story will reflect wise choices using the three wishes, and the second story will reflect making foolish choices. Would it be hard to decide what to do with the wishes?
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)