|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of disease is contracted by the family cat?
2. Jimmy's father accuses his son of ______.
3. A man attempts to cross Spider Creek using what mode of transportation?
4. What is the profession of Jimmy's father?
5. Bored, the boy falls asleep looking at pumpkins and wakes up look at a/n:
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the man and his young lover have such varying opinions on what they see in "Everything is Green?"
2. What temporarily dissuades the couple from making love in "True Love?"
3. In "Love Poems," a man is inspired to write a love poem to his mistress. It is the best poem the man has ever written. Discuss the man's work and what he does with it in the end.
4. What is the accident that injures Jimmy? What happens after the accident?
5. In "The Colonel," what is the situation with the men at dinner?
6. Explain the issue in "From the Floodlands" and the realization of the people.
7. How does the woman intend to trick her boyfriend in "I Get Smart?"
8. Discuss the opening scene in "Ponderosa."
9. Discuss the attitude of the man in "Wedding Night."
10. In "Mandy Shupe," a mother tells her young daughter about Mandy Shupe, a Mennonite woman who goes a bit wild. The basic story is told and the mother's purpose for the parable as well as the grown up daughter's reaction explained.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Ice Storm" is a telling story about boys that resist the urge to kill blinded pheasants during a particularly nasty winter storm. What happens to the animals during the storm? Why are the pheasants blinded? What about the boys makes them want to capture, harm or kill the birds? What causes the boys to rethink their motives and protect the birds from freezing to death? Examine a person's nature to protect versus kill.
Essay Topic 2
In "Feeding the Hungry," a man acts irrationally when he forgets to eat for one day. The man believes that he almost died from starvation. Obviously, that is not true. Study the body's metabolism and how it changes depending on the amount of food a person eats. Also examine the man's mental state to investigate any compulsions present.
Essay Topic 3
Franky Gorky may be "The Nicest Kid in the Universe," but Franky is none too bright. Write two short stories about a character like Franky, or perhaps yourself, who receives three wishes. One story will reflect wise choices using the three wishes, and the second story will reflect making foolish choices. Would it be hard to decide what to do with the wishes?
This section contains 1,023 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)