Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The man ends up with a broken ____ and a bloody wound.
2. How many dancing bears are on a tour?
3. In "Feeding the Hungry," a man gets angry with which group?
4. Pumpkins remind the person of which disease?
5. What is the name of the theatre that gives out free dishes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes the woman to be upset in "Water?" What does the woman do?
2. Discuss the man's final decision in "Corporal."
3. In "Nadine at 35: Synopsis," explain what Nadine does when her husband leaves her and why she allows him to come back.
4. In "Love Poems," a man is inspired to write a love poem to his mistress. It is the best poem the man has ever written. Discuss the man's work and what he does with it in the end.
5. How do Karen and Konrad meet in "Roseville?" What event does the meeting prompt?
6. Vines: Discuss the man's main issue in "Vines" and what he says to his wife. How does the wife respond?
7. What temporarily dissuades the couple from making love in "True Love?"
8. In "Here's Another Ending," discuss the actions of the owners of the dog and how they try to trick a neighbor.
9. Girl: The mother gives the daughter several references about becoming what?
10. Discuss the scene in the restaurant in "Deportation at Breakfast."
In "Grace Period," a man spots a bright light on the horizon. The man can feel the earth rumble as the light gets brighter. No one answers the phone. Discuss what you think is happening. Do you think the bright light is a UFO? Do you think the man is frightened or hallucinating? Compare the story to others that begin the same way and end up with alien abduction. Also watch and review television shows that portray alien abductions.
"The Last Parakeet" is a fanciful story about a Brazilian parakeet that has turned itself in and is prepared to tell its life story. Create a script for the parakeet's interview on national television. Ensure that the script is ten minutes in length. What types of questions might the interviewer ask the parakeet? What might the parakeet say regarding his unusual position? What questions would you ask the parakeet if you had the opportunity?
In "Ponderosa," Jimmy is unhappy. Jimmy has been cheating on his wife although he denies it to his wife and father, who is a minister. The father tries to talk to Jimmy, but to no avail. Through an accident, Jimmy has half of his jaw shot off. The father sees it as divine intervention. Discuss Jimmy's predicament. Why does Jimmy continue to see his mistress if he is unhappy? What kind of upbringing did Jimmy have as the son of a minister? Does the father really believe that Jimmy's "accident" was divine intervention? Does Jimmy believe it? How does the accident affect Jimmy's life? Discuss the story from both sides. Also discuss what might have happened if Jimmy had not been shot.
This section contains 1,153 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)