Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The items remind the woman of which of the following:
2. Bored, the boy falls asleep looking at pumpkins and wakes up look at a/n:
3. Jimmy's father accuses his son of ______.
4. Where do the old stones want to stay?
5. What is the name of the woman's first boyfriend?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the main issue with Jimmy in the beginning of "Ponderosa?"
2. Discuss the attitude of the man in "Wedding Night."
3. In "Corners," what are the sisters doing at the beginning of the story? What upsets Jessie so much that she runs outside?
4. Why do the man and his young lover have such varying opinions on what they see in "Everything is Green?"
5. In "Grace Period," what do you think is happening to the man witnessing the bright light?
6. Girl: The mother gives the daughter several references about becoming what?
7. What causes the car accident in "Pumpkins?"
8. How do Karen and Konrad meet in "Roseville?" What event does the meeting prompt?
9. Explain why Mr. Mumsford is so angry. What does the man intend to do? Why?
10. Why was the man so distraught in "The Paring Knife?"
Essay Topic 1
"The Last Parakeet" is a fanciful story about a Brazilian parakeet that has turned itself in and is prepared to tell its life story. Create a script for the parakeet's interview on national television. Ensure that the script is ten minutes in length. What types of questions might the interviewer ask the parakeet? What might the parakeet say regarding his unusual position? What questions would you ask the parakeet if you had the opportunity?
Essay Topic 2
In "Feeding the Hungry," a man acts irrationally when he forgets to eat for one day. The man believes that he almost died from starvation. Obviously, that is not true. Study the body's metabolism and how it changes depending on the amount of food a person eats. Also examine the man's mental state to investigate any compulsions present.
Essay Topic 3
"Snapshot, Harvey Cedars: 1948" tells the tale of a woman's memories of her parents. The woman looks at a family photo fondly, remembering her dad's dreams of becoming a builder. The mother's body language is telling and unusual. Examine the mother's body language in the photo and the daughter's views. Do you think it is possible that the woman had some type of premonition or is the woman's body language a coincidence? If the woman had a premonition, do you think she was aware of it? Study the possibilities. Examine the daughter's thoughts regarding her father's suicide.
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)