|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does something to upset one of the sisters?
(b) Funeral director.
(c) Traffic cop.
2. What is wrong with the birds?
3. How does the father eventually die?
(a) Freak accident.
(d) Struck by lightning.
4. The girl receives so many ____ that she begins to collect them.
(d) Chain letters.
5. Who interviews the widow?
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of the story, everyone sings songs by ______.
2. One customer leaves ____ as a tip.
3. What is the name of the girlfriend in "The Burlington Northern, Southbound?"
4. in "Girl," the author writes a very long list of dos and don'ts for a young lady. Which of the following is not included in the section on sweeping?
5. What item does the woman win in a sweepstakes?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Corners," what are the sisters doing at the beginning of the story? What upsets Jessie so much that she runs outside?
2. In "The Cage," a man is trapped with no way to get free under his own power. Explain what happens that what it might mean.
3. Why was the man so distraught in "The Paring Knife?"
4. Discuss the odd behavior in the town described in "A Chronicler's Sin."
5. What is the thing that seems to bother the woman most in "The Haircut?"
6. Discuss what might happen after the owner finds the dead rabbit in "Here's Another Ending."
7. What is the most interesting thing about the people at "108 John Street?"
8. Girl: The mother gives the daughter several references about becoming what?
9. What does Henry Dobbins use as a way of protecting himself while at war? What happens that might change the talisman?
10. What realization does the widow come to in regards to her missing husband?
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)