|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the Blocks move after the death of their son?
2. What part of John Bradley was on the picture run in the newspaper?
3. When was Ira arrested for the 55th time?
4. What part of the Iwo Jima mountain did Easy Company go to in "Chapter Nine: D-Day Plus Two"?
5. What myth did the photograph of the flag create in the American people?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when Mike and others dove into a foxhole in "Chapter Thirteen: We Gave Our Today"?
2. What did the American commander not have any choice in after waiting for tanks to cover his troops?
3. What did many people who watched the raising of the flag mistakenly assume?
4. What did Harlon Block's letter home a few days after the raising of the flag say?
5. What were the losses among the Marines on the first three days of Iwo Jima?
6. After he died, what did Jack's children learn about his emotional state following the war?
7. What did Colonel Johnson order on day five of the Iwo Jima invasion, according to "Chapter Eleven: The Flags"?
8. What message did the Potsdam Declaration send to Japan?
9. What happened to Ira in December 1954?
10. What could the Marines sometimes hear during battle on Iwo Jima?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of the media in World War II and how the media led to false beliefs being perpetuated about the end of the war.
Essay Topic 2
Examine why our nation's heroes are immortalized.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the role of rhetorical questions and how they are used by James Bradley.
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)