|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the Blocks move after the death of their son?
2. What movie were Ira, John, and Rene asked to appear in?
3. How many shots of the second raising of the flag were taken?
4. What did Ira do because of the media frenzy surrounding him?
5. Who gave the larger American flag to the brig at the top of Mount Suribachi?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did March 25, 1945 mark?
2. Who did the image of the flag steal the headlines from back home?
3. How was the war chest described at the start of "Chapter Sixteen: The Bond Tour" and "Chapter Seventeen: A Conflict of Honor"?
4. What did many people who watched the raising of the flag mistakenly assume?
5. What did President Truman do during the war bond drive?
6. What were the losses among the Marines on the first three days of Iwo Jima?
7. What did Ira complain about while participating in the war bond drive?
8. What never happened again after the ceremony for the unveiling of the Arlington statue?
9. What did Jack Bradley do when he returned home in "Chapter Fourteen: Antigo" and "Chapter Fifteen: Coming Home"?
10. What did Harlon Block's letter home a few days after the raising of the flag say?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the men who survive can also be considered casualties of war.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of the training of the Japanese and how their planning affected American military operations.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between duty and patriotism.
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)