|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money did the war bond drive need to raise?
2. What magazine did Louis Lowery photograph for?
3. Where did the photographs taken by journalists go after being processed?
4. What happened to Lt. Severance in March 1945?
5. Who took over Mike's unit after his death?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was the war chest described at the start of "Chapter Sixteen: The Bond Tour" and "Chapter Seventeen: A Conflict of Honor"?
2. What did Jack Bradley do when he returned home in "Chapter Fourteen: Antigo" and "Chapter Fifteen: Coming Home"?
3. What did President Truman do during the war bond drive?
4. What did the Wall Street broker-dealer organization announce during the war bond drive?
5. What was the biggest myth created by the flag raising photo?
6. What did reporters know about the flag raising?
7. What did Harlon Block's letter home a few days after the raising of the flag say?
8. What did Rene reveal to the army after being identified as a flag raiser, and who threatened him?
9. Who was Joe Rosenthal?
10. What never happened again after the ceremony for the unveiling of the Arlington statue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the relationship between duty and patriotism.
Essay Topic 2
Examine why Pearl Harbor was known as the "day that will live in infamy," and the meaning of this statement.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Bradley's use of foreshadowing and other literary techniques, such as the use of short sentences in Flags of Our Fathers.
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)