|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who decided which photographs were good enough to be published?
2. How many soldiers were unaccounted for on "Chapter Nine: D-Day Plus Two" on Iwo Jima?
3. Who did Rene write to in February 1945 without mentioning the flag?
4. Where was Ralph Ignatowski's body found?
5. Who was the star of the movie Ira, John, and Rene appeared in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What never happened again after the ceremony for the unveiling of the Arlington statue?
2. Who was Joe Rosenthal?
3. Why was Rosenthal disappointed after taking a picture of the raising of the flag?
4. What was unveiled in 1954 according to "Chapter Eighteen: Movies and Monuments" and "Chapter Nineteen: Casualties of War"?
5. What did President Truman do during the war bond drive?
6. After he died, what did Jack's children learn about his emotional state following the war?
7. What did the Easy Company face on the third day in "Chapter Nine: D Day Plus Two" and "Chapter Ten: D Day Plus Three"?
8. What did Harlon Block's letter home a few days after the raising of the flag say?
9. Which of the flag raisers that survived the war were interred at Arlington?
10. What were the losses among the Marines on the first three days of Iwo Jima?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine why Pearl Harbor was known as the "day that will live in infamy," and the meaning of this statement.
Essay Topic 2
Explain why the soldiers were used to promote the war and determine the reason as well as whether it was exploitative.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the meaning and significance of the bronze statue's inscription, "Uncommon Valor was a Common Virtue."
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)