|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who picked up Rosenthal's picture at the AP office?
2. How many soldiers were unaccounted for on "Chapter Nine: D-Day Plus Two" on Iwo Jima?
3. What did the men use to raise the American flag on the top of mount Suribachi?
4. What was the name of the plane that dropped the Hiroshima bomb?
5. How many casualties did the army estimate would be produced by a conventional invasion of Japan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the significance of the training of the Japanese and how their planning affected American military operations.
Essay Topic 2
Argue for or against the rationality of the bombing of Pearl Harbor as if you were part of the Japanese Imperial Navy.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the post-war focus on the soldiers and how they handled the reality of war differently.
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)