|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the men use to raise the American flag on the top of mount Suribachi?
2. What job did Rene hold in 1979?
3. What magazine did Louis Lowery photograph for?
4. Who unveiled the statue based on the Rosenthal photograph in New York?
5. How large was the unit sent to the top of mount Suribachi?
Short Essay Questions
1. After he died, what did Jack's children learn about his emotional state following the war?
2. What never happened again after the ceremony for the unveiling of the Arlington statue?
3. What was unveiled in 1954 according to "Chapter Eighteen: Movies and Monuments" and "Chapter Nineteen: Casualties of War"?
4. What did reporters know about the flag raising?
5. What did the Easy Company face on the third day in "Chapter Nine: D Day Plus Two" and "Chapter Ten: D Day Plus Three"?
6. What was the biggest myth created by the flag raising photo?
7. What did Colonel Johnson order on day five of the Iwo Jima invasion, according to "Chapter Eleven: The Flags"?
8. What did many people who watched the raising of the flag mistakenly assume?
9. What message did the Potsdam Declaration send to Japan?
10. How was the war chest described at the start of "Chapter Sixteen: The Bond Tour" and "Chapter Seventeen: A Conflict of Honor"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the post-war focus on the soldiers and how they handled the reality of war differently.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of the media in World War II and how the media led to false beliefs being perpetuated about the end of the war.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Bradley's use of foreshadowing and other literary techniques, such as the use of short sentences in Flags of Our Fathers.
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)