|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Colonel Johnson when he issued the command to take the mountain the next morning?
2. Whose letter about being in good health was sent to his parents after his death?
3. How many Marines died in "Chapter Nine: D-Day Plus Two" on Iwo Jima?
4. Who did John Bradley think the real heroes were at Iwo Jima?
5. What happened when Mike led a small group of Marines in rugged terrain?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the American commander not have any choice in after waiting for tanks to cover his troops?
2. What were the losses among the Marines on the first three days of Iwo Jima?
3. What did Harlon Block's letter home a few days after the raising of the flag say?
4. What did the Easy Company do under the charge of Captain Severance?
5. What did Colonel Johnson order on day five of the Iwo Jima invasion, according to "Chapter Eleven: The Flags"?
6. What was the process like for processing film according to "Chapter 12: Myths"?
7. What did the Easy Company face on the third day in "Chapter Nine: D Day Plus Two" and "Chapter Ten: D Day Plus Three"?
8. What was the biggest myth created by the flag raising photo?
9. What did Jack Bradley do when he returned home in "Chapter Fourteen: Antigo" and "Chapter Fifteen: Coming Home"?
10. What did Rene reveal to the army after being identified as a flag raiser, and who threatened him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Bradley's use of foreshadowing and other literary techniques, such as the use of short sentences in Flags of Our Fathers.
Essay Topic 2
Argue for or against the rationality of the bombing of Pearl Harbor as if you were part of the Japanese Imperial Navy.
Essay Topic 3
Examine why our nation's heroes are immortalized.
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)