|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Rene write to in February 1945 without mentioning the flag?
2. What false information was communicated to the Bradley's before their son came back home?
3. What happened when Mike led a small group of Marines in rugged terrain?
4. Why was Rene ordered to keep quiet that it was Harlon Block and not Hansen that was in the photo?
5. What did Ira do because of the media frenzy surrounding him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Joe Rosenthal?
2. What did the Easy Company do under the charge of Captain Severance?
3. What happened when Mike and others dove into a foxhole in "Chapter Thirteen: We Gave Our Today"?
4. What never happened again after the ceremony for the unveiling of the Arlington statue?
5. Which of the flag raisers that survived the war were interred at Arlington?
6. What happened to Ira in December 1954?
7. What did Harlon Block's letter home a few days after the raising of the flag say?
8. What did March 25, 1945 mark?
9. What did the Easy Company face on the third day in "Chapter Nine: D Day Plus Two" and "Chapter Ten: D Day Plus Three"?
10. What did Rene reveal to the army after being identified as a flag raiser, and who threatened him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the post-war focus on the soldiers and how they handled the reality of war differently.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of the Battle of Tawara.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of the media in World War II and how the media led to false beliefs being perpetuated about the end of the war.
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)