|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many Marines died in "Chapter Nine: D-Day Plus Two" on Iwo Jima?
2. How large was the unit sent to the top of mount Suribachi?
3. How much money did the war bond drive ultimately raise?
4. Where did the photographs taken by journalists go after being processed?
5. Who made the sculpture based on the Rosenthal image?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did many people who watched the raising of the flag mistakenly assume?
2. What did the Easy Company do under the charge of Captain Severance?
3. Why was Rosenthal disappointed after taking a picture of the raising of the flag?
4. How was the war chest described at the start of "Chapter Sixteen: The Bond Tour" and "Chapter Seventeen: A Conflict of Honor"?
5. What did Ira complain about while participating in the war bond drive?
6. Who did the image of the flag steal the headlines from back home?
7. Which of the flag raisers that survived the war were interred at Arlington?
8. What was the biggest myth created by the flag raising photo?
9. What did the Easy Company face on the third day in "Chapter Nine: D Day Plus Two" and "Chapter Ten: D Day Plus Three"?
10. What did President Truman do during the war bond drive?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Bradley's use of foreshadowing and other literary techniques, such as the use of short sentences in Flags of Our Fathers.
Essay Topic 2
Explain why the soldiers were used to promote the war and determine the reason as well as whether it was exploitative.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between duty and patriotism.
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)