|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What movie were Ira, John, and Rene asked to appear in?
2. What myth did the photograph of the flag create in the American people?
3. How many shots of the second raising of the flag were taken?
4. Who took the photograph of the second raising of the flag?
5. What did the AP do with Rosenthal's photograph?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the American commander not have any choice in after waiting for tanks to cover his troops?
2. What did the Easy Company do under the charge of Captain Severance?
3. What did the Wall Street broker-dealer organization announce during the war bond drive?
4. How was the war chest described at the start of "Chapter Sixteen: The Bond Tour" and "Chapter Seventeen: A Conflict of Honor"?
5. What were the losses among the Marines on the first three days of Iwo Jima?
6. What was the biggest myth created by the flag raising photo?
7. What did Jack Bradley do when he returned home in "Chapter Fourteen: Antigo" and "Chapter Fifteen: Coming Home"?
8. What did reporters know about the flag raising?
9. What was the process like for processing film according to "Chapter 12: Myths"?
10. What was unveiled in 1954 according to "Chapter Eighteen: Movies and Monuments" and "Chapter Nineteen: Casualties of War"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the theme of individual verses country as described in Flags of Our Fathers.
Essay Topic 2
Examine why Pearl Harbor was known as the "day that will live in infamy," and the meaning of this statement.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how James Bradley uses characterization to demonstrate the tension between boyhood and manhood.
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)