|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What duty was Rene given in the unit?
2. What war did John Bradley's father participate in?
3. How long did the battle for Iwo Jima last?
4. What was Ira Hayes's nickname in the Corps?
5. What was the 5th Marine Division's first stop after Camp Tawara according to "Armada"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Harlon's mother have a hard time forgiving?
2. What was the "day that will live in infamy," according to "Chapter Three: America's War"?
3. What did Franklin do when he got word he was drafted?
4. What did Kathryn, James's mother, always rely on according to "Chapter Two: All-American Boys"?
5. What was the Civilian Conservation Corps?
6. What did the boys know about the meaning of Iwo Jima?
7. What were the Japanese trained to look for in American soldiers during firefights?
8. What did the bulldozers on Iwo Jima do, and what was Bradley ordered to do?
9. What did the armada heading for Iwo Jima consist of according to "Chapter Six: Armada"?
10. What did the Allied forces know they needed to do after the attack on Pearl Harbor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role that mothers played in the lives of the six flag raisers.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the role of rhetorical questions and how they are used by James Bradley.
Essay Topic 3
Explain why the soldiers were used to promote the war and determine the reason as well as whether it was exploitative.
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)