|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many ships were part of the armada heading for Iwo Jima?
2. What tradition did the Japanese forces follow?
3. How long had Japan been at war with China as of 1941?
4. How long did the 5th Marine Division train at Camp Tarawa?
5. What was John's mother's religion?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was General Kuribayashi determined to cause during the Iwo Jima battle?
2. What did Harlon's mother have a hard time forgiving?
3. What did the armada heading for Iwo Jima consist of according to "Chapter Six: Armada"?
4. What did the Battle of Tarawa foreshadow?
5. How long had the battle of Iwo Jima raged, and how was the battle described?
6. What did Kathryn, James's mother, always rely on according to "Chapter Two: All-American Boys"?
7. What did American leaders not know about the Japanese soldiers on Iwo Jima before they landed on the island?
8. What did Mike try to do during training for Rene in 1944?
9. What was the "day that will live in infamy," according to "Chapter Three: America's War"?
10. What did the Marines create in March 1944?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine why our nation's heroes are immortalized.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the post-war focus on the soldiers and how they handled the reality of war differently.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the role of rhetorical questions and how they are used by James Bradley.
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)