|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Ira Hayes train?
2. What was the name of the unit Mike joined?
3. How long of a journey did the 5th Marine Division complete to reach Island X?
4. Who was the only of the six flag raiser to have enlisted before Pearl Harbor according to Chapter 4 "Call of Duty"?
5. What was John remembered for by the member of his unit?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the Civilian Conservation Corps?
2. What did American leaders not know about the Japanese soldiers on Iwo Jima before they landed on the island?
3. What did Kathryn, James's mother, always rely on according to "Chapter Two: All-American Boys"?
4. How was Mike Strank known according to "Chapter 4: Call of Duty"?
5. What did Bradley always wonder?
6. How long had the battle of Iwo Jima raged, and how was the battle described?
7. What happened to Lucas on the second day in Iwo Jima?
8. What did the Marines create in March 1944?
9. What was the "day that will live in infamy," according to "Chapter Three: America's War"?
10. What was General Kuribayashi determined to cause during the Iwo Jima battle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the significance of the training of the Japanese and how their planning affected American military operations.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the meaning and significance of the bronze statue's inscription, "Uncommon Valor was a Common Virtue."
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of the Easy Company and its responsibilities.
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)