|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was de Weldon's statue unveiled at Arlington?
(a) Late 1958.
(b) Late 1964.
(c) Late 1952.
(d) Late 1954.
2. What happened when Mike led a small group of Marines in rugged terrain?
(a) They came under fire.
(b) They were blocked in a mine field.
(c) They were targeted by friendly fire.
(d) The were recalled.
3. Whose letter about being in good health was sent to his parents after his death?
(a) Joseph Hendricks.
(b) Harlon Block.
(c) Robert Erikson.
(d) Ira Smith.
4. What type of bombers were using the Iwo Jima air strips in 1945?
5. How much money did the war bond drive need to raise?
(a) 23 billion dollars
(b) 9 billion dollars
(c) 16 billion dollars
(d) 14 billion dollars.
6. When was Ira discharged from the Marines?
(a) January 1945.
(b) December 1946.
(c) December 1944.
(d) December 1945.
7. How many Marines died in "Chapter Nine: D-Day Plus Two" on Iwo Jima?
8. Who decided which photographs were good enough to be published?
(a) The Army press office.
(b) The pool chief.
(c) The newspapers.
(d) The photographer.
9. What did the men use to raise the American flag on the top of mount Suribachi?
(a) A tree.
(b) A pipe.
(c) A broom.
(d) A canon barrel.
10. How many American soldiers died on Iwo Jima by March 3, 1945?
11. What myth did the photograph of the flag create in the American people?
(a) That the battle for Iwo Jima was over.
(b) The Air Force won alone.
(c) Japan was ready to surrender.
(d) The battle for Iwo Jima was easy.
12. Who did John Bradley think the real heroes were at Iwo Jima?
(a) The Air Force.
(b) The ones that didn't make it home.
(c) The family of the fallen.
(d) The Navy.
13. What happened to Martha Strank in the couple of months following her learning about her son's death?
(a) They became mad.
(b) She died.
(c) She left the country.
(d) Her hair turned white.
14. How many casualties did the army estimate would be produced by a conventional invasion of Japan?
(a) 1 million.
(b) 6 million.
(c) 2 million.
(d) 3 million.
15. How long did the platoon take to reach the top of Mount Suribachi?
(a) 160 minutes.
(b) 80 minutes.
(c) 40 minutes.
(d) 50 minutes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What movie were Ira, John, and Rene asked to appear in?
2. How much money did the war bond drive ultimately raise?
3. Whose fame was immediate after the picture of the flag ran in the newspaper?
4. Who was the star of the movie Ira, John, and Rene appeared in?
5. Where was Rosenthal's film sent according to "Chapter Twelve: Myths"?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)