|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the Marines use in conjunction with grenades to destroy Japanese underground structures?
(a) Gun powder.
(b) Flame throwers.
(c) Artillery shells.
2. What ship was destroyed by Kamikazes in "Chapter Nine: D-Day Plus Two" ?
(a) USS Arizona.
(b) USS Bismark.
(c) USS Memphis.
(d) USS Arabia.
3. When was Ira arrested for the 55th time?
(a) December 1955.
(b) December 1954.
(c) December 1958.
(d) December 1956.
4. What type of bombers were using the Iwo Jima air strips in 1945?
5. How many of Rosenthal's photographs were overexposed?
6. What part of John Bradley was on the picture run in the newspaper?
(a) His left side.
(b) His feet.
(c) His right leg.
(d) His back.
7. What myth did the photograph of the flag create in the American people?
(a) The battle for Iwo Jima was easy.
(b) The Air Force won alone.
(c) That the battle for Iwo Jima was over.
(d) Japan was ready to surrender.
8. Who unveiled the statue based on the Rosenthal photograph in New York?
(b) Mayor LaGuardia.
9. What did Ira died from?
(a) Cold and alcohol poisoning.
(b) Heart attack.
(c) Gun shot wound.
10. Who did Rene write to in February 1945 without mentioning the flag?
11. What job did Rene hold in 1979?
(a) A janitor.
(b) A bank clerk.
(c) A teacher.
(d) He was retired.
12. How many Japanese soldiers attacked John Bradley screaming "Banzai"?
13. Who ordered a platoon to be sent to the top of Mount Suribachi?
(a) Colonel Markenson.
(b) Colonel Minnen.
(c) Colonel Smith.
(d) Colonel Johnson.
14. Who was the star of the movie Ira, John, and Rene appeared in?
(a) James Dean.
(b) Charlton Heston
(c) John Wayne.
(d) Cary Grant.
15. Where did the photographs taken by journalists go after being processed?
(a) To the AP.
(b) The Military Press Office.
(c) To the censors.
(d) The Pentagon.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the Blocks move after the death of their son?
2. How long did the platoon take to reach the top of Mount Suribachi?
3. How many soldiers were unaccounted for on "Chapter Nine: D-Day Plus Two" on Iwo Jima?
4. Where was Ralph Ignatowski's body found?
5. Where was Rosenthal's film sent according to "Chapter Twelve: Myths"?
This section contains 358 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)