|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did John Bradley think the real heroes were at Iwo Jima?
(a) The Air Force.
(b) The Navy.
(c) The family of the fallen.
(d) The ones that didn't make it home.
2. What was the barren ground of the mountain dotted with?
(a) Land mines.
(b) Crashed planes.
(c) Japanese firing ports.
(d) Japanese tanks.
3. What did Ira died from?
(a) Gun shot wound.
(c) Cold and alcohol poisoning.
(d) Heart attack.
4. What myth did the photograph of the flag create in the American people?
(a) Japan was ready to surrender.
(b) That the battle for Iwo Jima was over.
(c) The Air Force won alone.
(d) The battle for Iwo Jima was easy.
5. What did John Bradley buy after returning to the U.S?
(a) A funeral home.
(b) A house.
(c) A theater.
(d) A car.
6. Where were Harlon and Franklin buried?
(a) On Iwo Jima.
(b) At Arlington.
(c) In Pennsylvania.
(d) In their respective home towns.
7. What did the men use to raise the American flag on the top of mount Suribachi?
(a) A canon barrel.
(b) A broom.
(c) A pipe.
(d) A tree.
8. What prize did Rosenthal win?
(a) The Greedy prize.
(b) The Nobel.
(c) The Anson Prize.
(d) The Pulitzer.
9. When did Goldie finally receive news of her son's death?
(a) April 9, 1945.
(b) April 23, 1945
(c) March 9, 1945
(d) April 9, 1946
10. Who took the photograph of the second raising of the flag?
(a) Ethan Sober.
(b) Arthur Roberts.
(c) Mark Suber.
(d) Joe Rosenthal.
11. Why was Rene's parade cancel in 1945?
(a) A new hero emerged.
(b) It was raining.
(c) Roosevelt died.
(d) He was found drunk.
12. Who ordered a platoon to be sent to the top of Mount Suribachi?
(a) Colonel Smith.
(b) Colonel Johnson.
(c) Colonel Markenson.
(d) Colonel Minnen.
13. Whose fame was immediate after the picture of the flag ran in the newspaper?
(a) The Marine Corp.
(b) John Bradley.
(c) The Los Angeles Time.
14. How long did the platoon take to reach the top of Mount Suribachi?
(a) 80 minutes.
(b) 50 minutes.
(c) 40 minutes.
(d) 160 minutes.
15. What false information was communicated to the Bradley's before their son came back home?
(a) He died.
(b) He had been captured.
(c) He lost his leg.
(d) He had been lot at sea.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many of the 150 Japanese that tried to escape to the north made it through American fire?
2. What happened to Lt. Severance in March 1945?
3. How many Japanese soldiers attacked John Bradley screaming "Banzai"?
4. When was Ira discharged from the Marines?
5. What did the AP editor say when he chose Rosenthal's picture?
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)