|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who gave the larger American flag to the brig at the top of Mount Suribachi?
(a) Sergeant Marks.
(b) Lt. Severance.
(c) Lt. Norensen.
(d) Colonel Slowick.
2. Who decided which photographs were good enough to be published?
(a) The Army press office.
(b) The newspapers.
(c) The pool chief.
(d) The photographer.
3. Whose fame was immediate after the picture of the flag ran in the newspaper?
(b) The Los Angeles Time.
(c) John Bradley.
(d) The Marine Corp.
4. What did Rene do after returning to the U.S according to "Chapter Eighteen: Movies and Monuments"?
(a) Purchased a store.
(b) Worked at a bank.
(c) Bought a funeral home.
(d) Worked at the mill.
5. How many American soldiers died on Iwo Jima by March 3, 1945?
6. How many Marines died in "Chapter Nine: D-Day Plus Two" on Iwo Jima?
7. What prize did Rosenthal win?
(a) The Greedy prize.
(b) The Pulitzer.
(c) The Nobel.
(d) The Anson Prize.
8. What part of the Iwo Jima mountain did Easy Company go to in "Chapter Nine: D-Day Plus Two"?
(a) The eastern side.
(b) The southwest side.
(c) The south side.
(d) The northeastern side.
9. What happened when Mike led a small group of Marines in rugged terrain?
(a) They were targeted by friendly fire.
(b) They were blocked in a mine field.
(c) The were recalled.
(d) They came under fire.
10. What myth did the photograph of the flag create in the American people?
(a) The Air Force won alone.
(b) The battle for Iwo Jima was easy.
(c) Japan was ready to surrender.
(d) That the battle for Iwo Jima was over.
11. How much money did the war bond drive need to raise?
(a) 23 billion dollars
(b) 9 billion dollars
(c) 14 billion dollars.
(d) 16 billion dollars
12. How much money did the war bond drive ultimately raise?
(a) 16.3 billon dollars.
(b) 56.3 billon dollars.
(c) 21.3 billon dollars.
(d) 26.3 billon dollars.
13. Where was the American flag given to the platoon taken from?
(a) The USS Wisconsin.
(b) The USS Missoula.
(c) The USS Atlanta.
(d) The USS Sapian.
14. When was Ira arrested for the 55th time?
(a) December 1958.
(b) December 1956.
(c) December 1954.
(d) December 1955.
15. When was Iwo Jima declared conquered by Admiral Nimitz?
(a) March 14, 1945.
(b) January 14, 1945.
(c) March 23, 1945.
(d) March 14, 1947.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Lt. Severance in March 1945?
2. What did Ira do because of the media frenzy surrounding him?
3. Where did the Blocks move after the death of their son?
4. When was de Weldon's statue unveiled at Arlington?
5. Who made the sculpture based on the Rosenthal image?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)