|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Goldie finally receive news of her son's death?
(a) April 23, 1945
(b) March 9, 1945
(c) April 9, 1945.
(d) April 9, 1946
2. What did Ira died from?
(a) Cold and alcohol poisoning.
(c) Gun shot wound.
(d) Heart attack.
3. Who led the platoon sent to the top of Mount Suribachi?
(a) George Smith.
(b) Mark Sorensen.
(c) Arthur Missaou.
(d) George Schrier.
4. Who took over Mike's unit after his death?
(a) John Dradley.
(b) Harlon Block.
(c) Arthur Smith.
(d) Erik Smithen.
5. What did Ira do because of the media frenzy surrounding him?
(c) He faked his death.
(d) He became a hermit.
6. What happened when Mike led a small group of Marines in rugged terrain?
(a) They were targeted by friendly fire.
(b) The were recalled.
(c) They came under fire.
(d) They were blocked in a mine field.
7. Whose letter about being in good health was sent to his parents after his death?
(a) Ira Smith.
(b) Joseph Hendricks.
(c) Harlon Block.
(d) Robert Erikson.
8. How many casualties did the army estimate would be produced by a conventional invasion of Japan?
(a) 6 million.
(b) 1 million.
(c) 3 million.
(d) 2 million.
9. What prize did Rosenthal win?
(a) The Greedy prize.
(b) The Anson Prize.
(c) The Nobel.
(d) The Pulitzer.
10. How much money did the war bond drive need to raise?
(a) 9 billion dollars
(b) 23 billion dollars
(c) 16 billion dollars
(d) 14 billion dollars.
11. When was Ira arrested for the 55th time?
(a) December 1958.
(b) December 1956.
(c) December 1954.
(d) December 1955.
12. When was Iwo Jima declared conquered by Admiral Nimitz?
(a) March 23, 1945.
(b) March 14, 1945.
(c) March 14, 1947.
(d) January 14, 1945.
13. Where was Rosenthal's film sent according to "Chapter Twelve: Myths"?
(b) Los Angeles.
(c) New York.
14. What type of bombers were using the Iwo Jima air strips in 1945?
15. What magazine did Louis Lowery photograph for?
(a) The New York Times.
(b) The Lost Angel Democrat.
(c) Leatherneck Magazine.
(d) The Portland Sun.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who picked up Rosenthal's picture at the AP office?
2. Where was the American flag given to the platoon taken from?
3. Who decided which photographs were good enough to be published?
4. What did the Marines use in conjunction with grenades to destroy Japanese underground structures?
5. How were Belle and Ed Block notified of their son's death?
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)