|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was the American flag raised on Iwo Jima?
(a) Near the end of WWII.
(b) End of WWI.
(c) Start of the Korean war.
(d) Start of WWII.
2. When did Mike's unit land on Bougainville?
(a) January 1, 1943.
(b) November 1, 1943.
(c) November 19, 1943.
(d) November 1, 1944.
3. What profession did John discover while at church?
(a) Organ player.
(d) Funeral director.
4. Who did Harlon Block join the Marines with?
(a) His soccer team.
(b) His class.
(c) His brothers.
(d) His football team.
5. Who was in charge of the 1st Marine Division in 1941?
(a) Mark Steinberg.
(b) Matthiew Smith.
(c) Holland Smith.
(d) Andrew L Weber.
6. How many men raised the American flag in Iwo Jima?
7. What was John Bradley's mother's name?
8. How large is Iwo Jima?
(a) 2 miles.
(b) 10 miles.
(c) 24 miles.
(d) 8 miles.
9. Who came to confer with Generals of the 5th Marine Division while it was training?
(a) President Roosevelt.
(b) Winston Churchill.
(c) Dwight Eisenhower.
(d) Admiral Nimitz.
10. How many Marines were assigned to fighting toward the north of Iwo Jima?
11. What was the Marine's secret weapon?
(a) Automatic rifles.
(b) Jet planes.
(c) Esprit de corps.
(d) Radar guided artillery.
12. Where was the 5th Marine Division stationed in November 1943 according to "Chapter Five: Forging the Spearhead"?
(a) Camp Smith.
(b) Camp Tawara.
(c) Camp Pendleton.
(d) Camp 5.
13. What was Ira Hayes's nickname in the Corps?
(b) Laughing Easy.
(c) Chief Falling Cloud.
(d) Flying Horseman.
14. What did Bradley say about the raising of the flag in Iwo Jima?
(a) It was uneventful.
(b) It was tiring.
(c) It was "the happiest moment of his life."
(d) It was difficult.
15. What was John's father's career before WWII?
(c) Railroad worker.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Franklin Sousley live before WWII?
2. How long had Japan been at war with China as of 1941?
3. What mountain was the flag raised on top of?
4. What did Ira say in the first letter he wrote from Iwo Jima?
5. What military man went to Iwo Jima with James Bradley?
This section contains 345 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)