|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long did the 5th Marine Division train at Camp Tarawa?
(a) 8 months.
(b) 12 months.
(c) 4 months.
(d) 6 months.
2. What portion of the American soldiers fighting on Iwo Jima ultimately died or were wounded?
3. Who was the only of the six flag raiser to have enlisted before Pearl Harbor according to Chapter 4 "Call of Duty"?
(a) Edward McDougan.
(b) Anthony Marks.
(c) Mike Strank.
(d) Dexter Smith.
4. What did hundred of thousands of young Americans do after hearing Roosevelt's speech?
(a) They overwhelmed the enlistment centers.
(b) They burned Japanese electronics.
(c) They fled to Canada.
(d) They attacked the Japanese embassy.
5. When was the American flag raised on Iwo Jima?
(a) End of WWI.
(b) Near the end of WWII.
(c) Start of WWII.
(d) Start of the Korean war.
6. What did Ira say in the first letter he wrote from Iwo Jima?
(a) That he was afraid of death.
(b) That it was hot.
(c) That the beaches were nice.
(d) That the climate was good.
7. When did John meet his wife?
(a) In high school.
(b) When he was in the third grade.
(c) In college.
(d) In boot camp.
8. What did John's father encourage him to do?
(a) Join the Army.
(b) Join the Navy.
(c) Join the Air Force.
(d) Flee to Canada.
9. How many ships were part of the armada heading for Iwo Jima?
10. How many marines landed on Iwo Jima by noon on D-Day?
11. How many brothers does James Bradley have according to "Chapter One: Sacred Ground"?
12. What was the 5th Marine Division given that made it unique?
(a) A special insignia.
(b) A special handshake.
(c) A special song.
(d) A special uniform.
13. Who did Bradley send the letter talking about the raising of the flag to?
(a) His parents.
(b) His sister.
(c) His future wife.
(d) His best friend.
14. How many times did Bradley talk to his sons about the raising of the flag?
(c) Once of twice a month.
15. Where is Pearl Harbor located?
(d) Washington state.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was John remembered for by the member of his unit?
2. How many Japanese were able to flee Guadalcanal?
3. What was the nickname given to Mount Suribachi?
4. What was Japan trying to do in Pearl Harbor?
5. How long did the bombing of Iwo Jima last before the invasion began?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)