|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did hundred of thousands of young Americans do after hearing Roosevelt's speech?
(a) They attacked the Japanese embassy.
(b) They fled to Canada.
(c) They burned Japanese electronics.
(d) They overwhelmed the enlistment centers.
2. What was John Bradley's mother's name?
3. Who was John's best friend in the Marines?
(a) Iggy Popasky.
(b) Robert Kanisky.
(c) Ralph Ignatowski.
(d) Henry Stravinsky.
4. What was John remembered for by the member of his unit?
(a) His kindness.
(b) His accent.
(c) His stature.
(d) His laugh.
5. What duty was Rene given in the unit?
(a) Machine gunner.
(c) Water boy.
(d) Supply specialist.
6. How long did the battle for Iwo Jima last?
(a) 46 days.
(b) 26 days.
(c) 56 days.
(d) 36 days.
7. What was the nickname given to Mount Suribachi?
(a) Large Rock.
(b) Black Rock.
(c) El Volcano.
(d) Hot Rocks.
8. Where did Franklin Sousley live before WWII?
(a) Hilltop, KY.
(b) New York.
(c) San Franscisco, CA.
(d) Downhill, CA.
9. Where did Harlon Block live before WWII?
(a) Los Angeles, CA.
(b) Rio Grand Valley, TX.
(c) Baton Rouge, LA.
(d) New York.
10. How many men raised the American flag in Iwo Jima?
11. What was the Marine's secret weapon?
(a) Esprit de corps.
(b) Jet planes.
(c) Automatic rifles.
(d) Radar guided artillery.
12. When was the 5th Marine Division scheduled to be activated?
(a) November 11, 1943.
(b) December 11, 1943
(c) November 21, 1943
(d) November 11, 1944
13. What did Ira say in the first letter he wrote from Iwo Jima?
(a) That he was afraid of death.
(b) That the climate was good.
(c) That it was hot.
(d) That the beaches were nice.
14. How many Marines were assigned to fighting toward the north of Iwo Jima?
15. What did John's father encourage him to do?
(a) Join the Army.
(b) Join the Navy.
(c) Join the Air Force.
(d) Flee to Canada.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many brothers does James Bradley have according to "Chapter One: Sacred Ground"?
2. When were the men of the 5th Marine Division told about their destination?
3. What did Bradley say about the raising of the flag in Iwo Jima?
4. How many Japanese were able to flee Guadalcanal?
5. What was Ira Hayes's nickname in the Corps?
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)