|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What duty was Rene given in the unit?
(a) Supply specialist.
(b) Water boy.
(c) Machine gunner.
2. What did John's father encourage him to do?
(a) Join the Air Force.
(b) Flee to Canada.
(c) Join the Navy.
(d) Join the Army.
3. What boat was E company on?
(a) USS Missouri.
(b) USS Sapian.
(c) USS Missoula.
(d) USS Stranpan.
4. Who did Harlon Block join the Marines with?
(a) His brothers.
(b) His class.
(c) His soccer team.
(d) His football team.
5. How many Marines were killed on D-Day on Iwo Jima?
6. What was John's nickname?
7. How long of a journey did the 5th Marine Division complete to reach Island X?
(a) 7,000 miles.
(b) 4,000 miles.
(c) 5,000 miles.
(d) 6,000 miles.
8. What was the Marine's secret weapon?
(a) Radar guided artillery.
(b) Automatic rifles.
(c) Jet planes.
(d) Esprit de corps.
9. How old was Harlon Block when he joined the Marines?
10. What did hundred of thousands of young Americans do after hearing Roosevelt's speech?
(a) They fled to Canada.
(b) They overwhelmed the enlistment centers.
(c) They burned Japanese electronics.
(d) They attacked the Japanese embassy.
11. What was Ira Hayes's nickname in the Corps?
(a) Flying Horseman.
(b) Laughing Easy.
(c) Chief Falling Cloud.
12. When was the American flag raised on Iwo Jima?
(a) Start of WWII.
(b) End of WWI.
(c) Start of the Korean war.
(d) Near the end of WWII.
13. What was John's father's career before WWII?
(b) Railroad worker.
14. What was John's mother's religion?
15. Where was the 5th Marine Division stationed in November 1943 according to "Chapter Five: Forging the Spearhead"?
(a) Camp 5.
(b) Camp Tawara.
(c) Camp Pendleton.
(d) Camp Smith.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many marines landed on Iwo Jima by noon on D-Day?
2. Who was commanding the Japanese forces on Iwo Jima?
3. How many brothers does James Bradley have according to "Chapter One: Sacred Ground"?
4. What was the name of the unit Mike joined?
5. What was Japan trying to do in Pearl Harbor?
This section contains 336 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)