|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the nickname given to Mount Suribachi?
(a) Large Rock.
(b) Hot Rocks.
(c) El Volcano.
(d) Black Rock.
2. What was the 5th Marine Division's first stop after Camp Tawara according to "Armada"?
3. How long had Japan been at war with China as of 1941?
(a) 12 years.
(b) 10 years.
(c) 15 years.
(d) 8 years.
4. What type of Japanese troops took the first shots at the Marines?
5. What was the Marine's secret weapon?
(a) Automatic rifles.
(b) Jet planes.
(c) Radar guided artillery.
(d) Esprit de corps.
6. What was the name of the 5th Marine Division?
7. How old was Jack Lucas when he received the Medal of Honor?
(a) 34 years old.
(b) 10 years old.
(c) 17 years old.
(d) 87 years old.
8. When was the American flag raised on Iwo Jima?
(a) End of WWI.
(b) Start of the Korean war.
(c) Start of WWII.
(d) Near the end of WWII.
9. How long did the 5th Marine Division train for before being shipped to Hawaii?
(a) 12 months.
(b) 9 months.
(c) 6 months.
(d) 8 months.
10. When did John and his parents move from Texas to Appleton, WI?
(a) In 1912.
(b) During WWI.
(c) During the Great Depression.
(d) At the start of the War.
11. How many times did Bradley talk to his sons about the raising of the flag?
(b) Once of twice a month.
12. How many marines landed on Iwo Jima by noon on D-Day?
13. How long did the battle for Iwo Jima last?
(a) 36 days.
(b) 46 days.
(c) 26 days.
(d) 56 days.
14. How large is Iwo Jima?
(a) 8 miles.
(b) 24 miles.
(c) 10 miles.
(d) 2 miles.
15. What was Japan trying to do in Pearl Harbor?
(a) Clear the way to invade the U.S.
(b) Get the U.S into the war.
(c) Fire a warning shot.
(d) Test their fleet.
Short Answer Questions
1. What military man went to Iwo Jima with James Bradley?
2. What was John's mother's religion?
3. What did the Japanese consider Iwo Jima to be?
4. When were the men of the 5th Marine Division told about their destination?
5. What unit were the six flag raisers assigned to?
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)