Chapter One: Sacred Ground
* In "Chapter One: Sacred Ground," James, his brothers, and mother went to Iwo Jima to the site of the flag raising.
* John never told his family about war time or that he received the Navy Cross.
* Iwo Jima was the bloodiest battle in the Pacific.
* 2/3 of American soldiers fighting in Iwo Jima either died or were wounded.
* Of the 6 who hoisted the flag, 3 were buried on the island.
Chapter Two: All-American Boys
* According to "Chapter Two: All-American Boys," John's father, James, was a WWI veteran working for a railroad company. His mother was Kathryn and was a Catholic home maker.
* During the Great Depression, James moved to Appleton, WI with his 5 children and wife.
* John joined the navy to preempt the draft.
* Franklin Sousley's parents were tobacco farmers in Hilltop, KY.
* Both Franklin's older brother and father died during his childhood, leaving his mother...
This section contains 1,472 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)