|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rowe is continually pressed to do what?
2. When they learn that some Vietcong prisoners are being tried in Saigon, Rowe prays they will be sentenced to what?
3. Is Rowe punished?
4. When does Rowe believe it seems worse to be on the verge of death?
5. What has Rowe been repeatedly told regarding the National Liberation Front?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Jim?
2. Describe the moments soon after Rowe's rescue.
3. Describe Rowe's action during the move.
4. Who are Herc and Ajax? Describe Rowe's relationship with them.
5. What punishment is given to Rowe for refusing to write a statement siding with the National Liberation Front?
6. According to the VC, what must Rowe do to be released? Does he do this?
7. What gives Rowe the strength to resist the VC demands?
8. How does Rowe feel about the VC prisoners being tried in Saigon? Why does he feel this way?
9. Who spots Rowe?
10. Describe Rowe's escape attempt.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rowe is a member of Special Forces.
Part 1) How is Rowe a part of Special Forces? What does this say about Rowe's training?
Part 2) How does he use his training while in the POW camp? How do others also use their training to help them and others survive?
Part 3) What skills and training do you have? How might this be useful in an emergency situation?
Essay Topic 2
Rowe is debriefed.
Part 1) Describe this debriefing. Why does this take place? What purpose does it serve?
Part 2) Why is this debriefing disturbing for Rowe? How does this make a comparison between the U.S. military and the Vietcong?
Part 3) Why is this debriefing important to the U.S. military? Do they care about Rowe? Why or why not? What matters to the U.S. military, based on Rowe's debriefing? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Rowe returns home to his parents.
Part 1) Describe this return. How are Rowe's parents' personalities revealed through this homecoming?
Part 2) How might Rowe's life have changed because of his POW experience? Use the text to support your response.
Part 3) How does reading the accounts of the POW experience affect your own life? How might you be forever changed from reading this story?
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)